Posts by goodvibes

I find this interesting and wonder if something like this exists on the MK2 or 120 as well. if there's a cap after the resistor it could be used as a shunt for stability or even part of the feedback loop. I don't know the topology but it would be and important consideration for modding. If it's used as a shunt, removing the resistor could actually cause it to ring a bit more.  If in the feedback loop bypassing the resistor would increase the amount of same. If either or...
I'm sorry you couldn't as well. Grado only said the impedance was too high, not that it blew your headphones. They are being PC and understand how it contributed under your circumstances of listening to double digit distortion. An Ak100 into your phones still has twice the power of clip+.
So. Clipping is the issue just as I have repeatedly said. I guess I assumed the correct scenario. You've proven me correct even with your edits. Thanks.    Lots of folks using the ak100 without blowing much lower impedance phones than yours. Grado's response is relative to your particular needs. The extra 3 or 4 db available from the Mk2 would also help you, like the AK120 mentioned, but that you are listening to horribly distorted signal for a period of time long enough...
Whomever answered you is either incorrect or the correspondence was misunderstood/misrepresented by you. If they said you were clipping the amp, thereby overheating the coils and the resistors may contribute for that reason (in your case, max amplitude is only down a few DB), it's not the same as high impedance being the culprit. That would be your rationalization. You needed to buy a stronger unit for your needs and didn't mind listening to distortion until your earphones...
Doesn't mean the local importer or your dealer are correct. Sorry for the bass comment. If what they said were true, you couldn't use your headphones out of any old school receiver that always used over 100 ohm resistors connected to the jack off the speaker out for that function. High impedance blowing your earphones is just not the case. http://www.head-fi.org/t/572819/power-headphones-with-reciever No one is more aware of it than Joe Grado whose been doing this since...
Here's your other posts on this for those who would like a look. It's obvious that you overdrove these and we don't have others blowing phones at a higher rate with the AK100.http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/8685 The phones you use have a flat enough impedance curve so the frequency response is unaffected (within 1db) by the high output impedance.This is likely more about you turning up the bass on bass shy headphones and finally being...
Not true. Any headphone with a flat impedance curve (dynamic without a crossover) will be fine. None of these DAPs should be bought without an audition or at least promptly returned if not enjoyed. Liking something until you find a spec that is not to your expectations is just a little odd, Either you liked it and bought/kept it for that reason or not. I understand your frustrations but really, this is about properly evaluating your choices at the time of purchase. If it...
I would be disappointed in the 24/192 if that were the case. There are always compromises involved with a DAP.