Posts by goodvibes

That's the opposite of Jude's take and mine as well. May have been a fit or other issue. The Roxanne was too thick for me. I don't hear haze in the new models but am aware of the noise floor of the source recording etc. For me, that's a good thing. These do not sound sparkley or enhanced. You can tell I really like these and actually slightly preferred the Angie straight out of an AK240 without adjusting their controls. Don't know where they were set but likely...
I didn't feel the Angie lacked detail vs my jh13s or Layla. Just a slightly different presentation than either. I find it a little odd that these are being referred to as mastering units because I found them very listenable and non-analytical while informative. Sort of smooth, focused and dynamically delineated presentation. Controlled yet revealing and both better than the JH13 on stock cables. The cable they use on these is better than what I got with my 13s a couple...
I haven't read this entire thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned RF breakthrough. Aluminium should have a clear advantage with RF. SS should be better with magnetism which isn't a big issue here. The grounding difference should be negligible if done similarly. Durability difference is obvious but I don't want a heavier DAP.
Why I like my AK100 mk2 case,,,even more than the 'better' more easily marked one on the AK120 I had. 
  I didn't really feel that way. I thought them qualitatively similar though I suspect with more time and bass control manipulation I may prefer the Layla. I guess it depends on how full a note one likes. I always thought the K10 and Layla had a bit too much fill so there's obviously preference here as well.
Considering that it no longer needs to be licensed, I suspect ALAC will be part of the mix.
I think FiiO is a great company in terms of hardware vs price vs quality but I've listened to a few or their devices and none have rung my bell. It's always personal but I'm pretty much off trying any more from them.    Thanks for the linux answer. Probably best of the available platforms for this.
I prefer 24/48 to 16/192 in controlled testing. Could have been 24/44 to 16/188 just as easily but I try to stick with multiples in downsampling to limit interpolation. Used Wavelab Pro for conversions with appropriate dither where required. Have also done similar comparisons in the past by natively recording an original analog source in different wav formats directly into a Nagra VI SSD with linear supply. If I was using a PC with USB DAC and FLAC etc for playback, some...
I believe it tops out at 24/48 wav. The 24 is the more significant part.
I really like the manual V control, that it's protected and that it extends out the same plane as the jacks. Looks great on paper but proof is in a listen.    Questyle, Is the FW based on Android or some other shell or is it more or less proprietary?