Posts by Trae

Just keep in mind that you might be doing a lot of tweaking to get them to sound right. Putting speakers in a design like mine is sorta like putting a -8dB high-shelf filter on them, along with some newfound resonances and other peculiarities. I'm using 4 25ohm resistors through all wires to cut down the noise on the amp as well as a weird 60 cycle hum the amp has (it travels from the left to the right channel the more you twist the volume knob. Can't hear it now, though),...
Equipment: SMSL M8 Gustard H10 for headphones Emotiva Mini-X a100 for headspeakers Various music (mp3s of various bitrates and flac) - classical, electronic, r&b, Chesky demonstration cd   HD800 Very detailed Cold sound signature Soundstage is diffuse sounding Easy to hear or pick up subtle sounds Mids sound thin This would be a cup of ice cold water with lemon   K7XX Basically sounds like the HD800 but with a warmer tonality and more centralized imaging, which...
        Here are the details: SB Acoustics 2.5" full range speakers Oak used for baffle Dremeled a slot around the wood to slip the pads on (the ultra rare beyerdynamic gel earpads) Tac used to seal the perimeter of the speakers 16AWG 4 conductor speaker wire with 25ohm resistors going through all of them female quick-disconnect terminals to connect to the speakers banana plugs to connect to the mini-x A100 SMSL M8 DAC little nails for the headband to...
I'd be interested to see any before\after measurements of these modifications on this dac.
Oooh...it's been a while. I think I unscrewed the baffle, latched the earpads on the plastic lip, put some tape around it and screwed the baffle back onto the headphone frame.
Wilmington is a definite no-go for me. I can probably get to Charlotte in about an hour and some change. Wilmington is over twice that.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to come, but if I am able, I'll be bringing in a special pair of headphones I made along with the Emotiva Mini-X A100 and an SMSL M8.
I fixed the shortcomings of the IEM. When I put them on, I immediately noticed the V-shaped sound signature. I quickly made an EQ to fix it. I was very surprised with the soundstage on these things. I definitely prefer these over my K7XXs after EQ in all areas.     I'm sure I could tweak it a bit more, but this is pretty much my preferred sound signature. The fact that these IEMs are able to achieve that while having an en extremely convincing soundstage, great build...
Too late. I'll have them in Sunday. The FX850 and A3 stick out a bit too far for my tastes. What don't you like about the IE80s?
I've decided on the ie80s. The pretty much offer everything I'm looking for. They're well under $400 (229 at @), they have some bass, a large soundstage, removable cable, decent isolation, and they look like they'll fit in my ears well.   What I don't like is what I'm seeing on these FR measurements. It looks like the bass boost bleeds into the upper bass and lower mids which can cause it to sound a bit muddy and veiled - characteristics that I've heard from some folks...