Posts by Trae

Hmmm. I found this:   http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64   9V 1A DC Linear Power Supply with some noise filters and whatnot. It also has a USB out for whatever other dacs you might use in the future. I did the steps and it comes out to $59 with $15 air mail shipping (EMS is $28). Pretty good price, and it seems like a great match for this dac.
Right now, I love the bass of a reversed polarity, but the rest of the frequency range does take some getting used to. I wouldn't call either one better than the other, just different. I tried this with my K7XXs that just came in, and it too behaves the same.   I guess a simpler way of explaining the sound is with a normal polarity, it sounds like the microphone is inside your head, whereas with the polarity reversed, it sounds like the mic is divided in two and are...
Well, this is more of a discovery on my part, and I wanted to share my findings. I'm using Foobar2K with a polarity inversion dsp, and the resulting sound is pretty different. Headphones are AD2000Xs.  [[SPOILER]]  Overall, the sound is wider and more out of your head sounding. On some songs, there are some sounds that sound the same regardless of the polarity (mainly treble-centric atmospheric sounds). It sounds really unique, and I think I like it more than a normal...
I going to pick one of these up next week along with a Gustard H10. As P701 said, the specs of this DAC is awesome for its price. You usually have to fork over a lot of money in order to get over 20 usable bits of audio (125dB dynamic range) while having crosstalk, THD, and SNR levels that good. I'm guessing they were able to keep the price down by using an external power adaptor, and using unbalanced outputs and components. Balanced dacs are typically much more expensive...
Brand new. I've been through about half a dozen ad2000 drivers, and burn-in does not make any perceptible difference. Since I'm used to AT's sound signature on these headphones, I already knew what I was getting (no "brain-in"), and I know that these particular drivers (along with the ad2000 drivers) have a resonance at ~3.8kHz, and some dips on either side of it. To compare, here's a shot of innerfidelity's measurements of the ad2000x:     I find that the raw data is...
Got my AD2000Xs in, pretty good 'phones. I'm not gonna mod them yet since I'm wanting to compare them to the K7XXs I'm getting in a couple weeks first. I made a quick eq to fix the wonky upper mids and treble. After that, they sound much better. Still needs some work in the lower mids and bass, which my mod will fix, and some other things (soundstage depth and width, bass and sub-bass quantity, and personally, comfort). I'm gonna feel kinda bad afterward modding them...
Using onboard sound discretely is only feasible if your motherboard has a non-standard chip like Creative SoundCore and Asus SupremeFX. If using something like Realtek, then an external dac+amp would be something worth considering.   As far as the buzzing sound goes, it's typically a non-issue unless the audio cable that plugs into the header isn't insulated, and that's mostly seen in cheap computers. The outputs on the rear panel are typically void of computer...
Just bought the AD2000X. Although it's for sale for $345 in Japan, it figured out to be about $382 after taxes, fees, and shipping costs (they overestimated on shipping costs, so I will be refunded a couple dollars after the fact). That's still a really good price, seeing as US amazon's sellers are around $440, and I was set on buying from there.   Also, I tried using Tenso. I registered and everything, but I couldn't figure it out, and Google Translate wasn't working...
Woah, you got the short end of the stick. Too bad you didn't get an AD2X in an AD9X box   As far as bass goes, I'm not going to be satisfied with the AD2X in stock form at all, hence the need to mod them. The AD series' 53mm drivers are capable of doing bass so much better than is allowed in their open, poor sealing headphone design, and addressing those issues results in the best bass that I've ever heard out of a dynamic driver.   Case in point- my modded AD2000s...
Well, I bought an AD2000X to mod, but I received an AD900X instead . Gotta love Amazon Marketplace. Anyway, Compared to my modded AD2000s, the sound signature is very similar. They're a bit tamed in the midrange, but overall, very similar sounding. They actually use the same diaphragm membrane that the AD1000 and up use. Looking at the construction of the driver, it looks like they changed everything internally vs. the AD900 except for the magnet. There is more dampening...