Posts by clams

For sale is a refurbished pair of AKG K240 Sextetts. I believe they are the LP version from the white color of the baffles.   The pads are new and I also replaced the worn out elastics with a new set from AKG. The headband is not cracked and in great condition so I found no need to replace that. Same with the cable.   Great pair of headphones especially for vocals. I just didn't find myself using it as much compared to my HD650 so I'm letting them go. Let me know...
Just PM'd regarding the white label NOS-ish 5998 Tung Sol
That's just a generalization of tube amps. In the case of OTL amps like the Bottlehead Crack, the increased voltage output actually made the bass on the HD650 more controlled than the m-stage. I actually preferred the Crack over the matrix for that pair of headphones although its obviously personal preference.
    This is what I meant by the "midrange cavern" on the HE-400. The Sennheisers seem a tad more flat which I enjoy more for classical but obviously that's subjective. I haven't listened to the HE-400 so that was only a minor concern I brought up. Obviously those that have listened to it would know better.   As for bloated bass and treble performance on the HD650, what are you using to amplify them? I had that problem with the m-stage and O2 but got a lot better results...
I can't say I've heard the HE-400 but I've owned the HD650 for the past two years. HD650 has been great for classical. So much so that I've sold my AKG K702 in favor of the Sennheisers. They're excellent at pretty much every genre of classical although I'd say they shine the most with large symphonies and less so with solo violins. Not a knock on them, just an observation. I've actually nearly stopped thinking about upgrading after I built the Bottlehead Crack for them....
I'm selling a pair of AKG K702. I bought them from an authorized AKG dealer around two years ago. They honestly haven't gotten much use over my Sennheiser HD650 which is the reason I'm selling them. They've been sitting in drawer for the past year. They're still in great condition. Elastics are still like new and pads are still very firm. They will come in the original box.   They come with stock cable but I do have a better built ZXAC UP-OCC copper cable that I'd be...
I bought mine over a year ago and it allows for opamp rolling so I'm sure yours does as well.   I really wouldn't worry about them voiding your warranty because of a broken seal, especially from matrix/tam audio.
Is this the new version or the older one with the loose headphone jack?    Here's a picture of the two versions:  
Depends on the opamp and if its a single or dual chip. Single chips need the adaptor and a pair of the chip (one per channel). Some adaptors require soldering while others are plug and play. Which one you get depends on the version of the opamp you buy. Duals do not need anything and are a straight swap.   For example, the popular OPA627 and AD979 are singles so you'll need a set of them.     
I've just been using a cheap iron lung jellyfish and it still sounds a little better. The amp is overall pretty responsive to changes in the system.