Posts by wordfool

I currently use a Styleaudio Carat-Emerald DAC/amp as my main desktop unit but am looking for something slightly smaller for when I'm on the road. Question is, how do the newer generation of portable DAC/amps stack up compared to the Emerald?   I'm thinking of the NuForce uDAC (2 or 3), the Audioquest Dragonfly (1 or 1.2), the AudioEngine D1 or D3 and similar. What sort of league are these in compared to something like the Emerald? Is something like the Dragonfly or D3...
Wow... y'know I never really checked the specs beyond the DA converter, but since the only input to this particular DAC is USB I do have to wonder why on earth they decided to use only a 16-bit USB controller. Maybe it's simply because this was designed in the USB 1.0 era?    So if a DAC did support 24-bit formats, would I see the 24bit sample rate option in Windows or would I still need to install ASIO or specific DAC drivers?
I'm currently running a USB DAC (Styleaudio Emerald) on the USB3.0 port of a Windows 8.1 Pro x64 machine and using MediaMonkey's WASAPI output plugin, but there is no option anywhere for 24-bit sample rate, either in the WASAPI settings or Windows settings. The best I can choose is 16-bit, 48kHz. I presume this is down to the USB DAC's driver (or lack thereof since it's using the generic Microsoft USB audio driver).   Is there an easy way to get the option for 24-bit...
having sold my full-size closed phones for something more portable I settled on the AKG 518LE (mainly because Amazon was selling the red ones for $45).... sound is great, perhaps a tad lacking in detail but I'm happy enough considering they're portable cans. BUT they are not the most comfortable headphones, to put it mildly.    Clamping force is too great and they are too small, which exacerbates the clamping issue. I have them at full extension and the *just* fit...
yep, still got 'em... not planning on driving up the 80 any time soon, but priority mail will get to you in a day and I'm happy to knock a little off the asking price since you're kinda local :)   Drop me a PM if still interested and we can take the discussion offline. 
bump for addition of photo 
Selling these great-condition SRH840 because I no longer need closed headphones (not bothering anyone and need to hear the doorbell and phone) so just bought myself some DT990s for when Grados get too uncomfortable :)   They're little over a year old but have been used sparingly at my desk... I estimate I put only about 100 hours on them. They'll come with box and all original accessories, including un-opened spare earpads and pouch. Photos to come. Asking $125...
I'm having no similar problems with either FF3.6 or IE8 (am posting this using FF), so perhaps it's a local Chrome issue. I'll play around some more with Chome and other factors like plugins and firewall etc. (and see if log files shed any light on it).    The reason I wondered if it was a site-related issue is that nothing changed on my machine (no installs, no updates, no changes, nothing) and one day Chrome simply stopped being able to post. Weird.
Wow... I'm miffed that the regular turbines don't have proper strain relief at the bud, but it looks like even the beefier strain relief of the Pros ain't relieving anything except itself! Monster does have good CS and warranty service, but the inconvenience of sending them in still sucks
Good news... if Amazon had stocked them before xmas I would have bought some... as it was, I didn't want to take part in the international mailing lottery, so bought another brand.