or Connect

Posts by wordfool

Four years of R&D for a pair of dynamic-driver headphones??! I find that very hard to believe for a company with decades of experience designing and selling audio equipment. And unless you've seen Focal balance sheets for the past decade I highly doubt the math quite that simple for a company with five major product lines, over 300 employees, and annual revenues in excess of 60 million euro (if you include Naim).  However, Focal now being owned by a private equity company...
 I'm not a sound engineer, but I suspect much of the tuning is done to a specific FR curve without input of human ears, creating a handful of prototypes with subtle variations. Then the human ears (probably involving engineers and focus groups) have final say over which one, or combination of several, sounds best.  I'd actually love to hear from anyone at a headphone manufacturer about how a new set of cans is created from beginning to end. No doubt it's a very complicated...
The Slappa Hardbody case supposedly fits Denon D2000... can anyone confirm it fits the Fostex/EM-U versions? Seems to be the most compact of the options. 
More time and effort than it used to, but with the right gear and a couple good engineers I suspect we're talking months at most, not years. Everything seems to be modeled using computers these days, which has sped up development of all sorts of gear, from electronics to camera lenses. Gone are the days of manually tweaking something, testing, repeating. 
 Thanks for the insight. I had read suggestions that the magnet's in the EM-U were possibly more powerful than the TH-X00 (but not up to TH900 levels), which would go someway to explaining why the EM-U has a higher quoted sensitivity compared to the TH-X00. Then again, higher sensitivity could also be due to a few other things. I was wondering if EM-U had done any driver tuning at all. Sounds like they haven't. 
 From what I can gather they're re-engineered DXXXXs -- same or similar frame, possibly same bio-cellulose drivers/cones, different magnets, different damping, different cup material and chamber size. I could be wrong... anyone know specifically what EM-U changed from the old Foster/Denon line? Whatever the case, I bought a pair of teaks on the drop that just ended. Hoping they're going to be a more "fun" alternative to my Beyer DT-1770s with similar soundstage and...
I'm curious to try the flasghip Shures but New Year financial constraints mean I can't afford to buy them outright so am looking for a straight trade with my Beyer DT-1770s, which are about 4 months old and in perfect condition with all original accessories and box. Shures should be in similar condition and with everything that came in the box (case, two cables, two sets earpads etc.). Photos available on request. 
 Curious what you mean by the "weird mid-range thing"?! The mids on the 1770s are certainly more forward than most other Beyers, but "weird" is not how I'd describe them.  In general, how do the 1540s differ from the 1770s in terms of bass? Is there an obvious difference or is it more subtle?
A little late to the thread, but IMO stuff in general is getting much more expensive because marketing folks are smart enough to get people to pay the inflated prices to join an exclusive "club" of sorts -- let's call it the Society of Haughty Individual Tastes. Phones are one example -- why else would a OnePlus3 cost half what a GS7 or Pixel does? Pretty much the same hardware and build quality. The iPhone, of course, is the ultimate piece of marketing genius, beloved by...
Any more comments on how the 1540's compare to the Beyer DT-1770? The 1770's are fine and I love the clarity, but they are not what I'd call a "fun" headphone. I'd like a little more in the mid-bass department, in particular, but I worry about the comments that the 1540's bass get's bloomy at higher volume levels. Frankly I'm not sure if I listen at "higher volume levels". How does one define "higher"?!   I also noticed the 1770s really need some power from an amp to...