Posts by CC Lemon

Hopefully this is the best section for my question! I'm interested in ideas and opinions for portable sources with the primary purpose of in-car use.   Due to a number of factors, such as costs, time, and console design, I'm not replacing my head unit. This means I either have an FM transmitter or AUX as my options. In other words: AUX is my option. I have a GPS, but it only functions on its own speakers and I rarely use it because of some functionality complaints. It is...
RS1's fit the budget? Even used would take up the entire budget or more. Also, I'd hardly call the 225 entry level. That said, I didn't really like mine and the couple time's I've tried the 325, I wasn't fond of them at all. I might have liked them less. Most people say the 325 is brighter, and I'd agree. I never enjoyed either, including for metal.
As a [relatively] cheaper option, I would second the HFi-780. I've always enjoyed it for metal and it's rather easy to drive. An amp wouldn't be absolutely necessary, but it would be a good option and you'd have plenty left in your budget for one.   I personally use my AKG Q701's the most. It's a little lighter on the bass, which some may find less appealing for metal, but I still like them. They are a better all-around headphone than the HFi-780. They're quite...
Like I said, I can see someone who already owns the E17 (or was about to pull the trigger) wanting a comparison. I could definitely understand an E17 owner wanting to know if it would be worth having the M&M as a dedicated home set up, replacing the E17 for general use.   I'm not sure which posts you are specifically referring to or took issues with, but I think there are reasonable ways to compare the 2 and unreasonable ways.
  Maybe it's just me, but I think you just weighed the pros and cons (compared) the 2 devices based on the features they offer. It honestly sounds like you're trying to defend the FiiO more than you are saying they shouldn't be compared.   Depending on the features they offer, that will help someone decide what they want. Also, someone who already owns one or the other could reasonably weigh the idea of purchasing the product they don't own in based on the comparisons...
    I'm pretty sure covering the vent his a big no-no. That said, the dimensions are pretty close to being able to stack it without really covering the vent much/at all. Looking at the pictures, the feet seem to be offset from the very edge of the unit a little bit so you could reasonably avoid covering the vent at all if you're alright with the units not lining up perfectly on the left side. The Modi is listed as 5" wide, which is almost exactly the distance from the...
Thanks for the response!   I'm still undecided on the USB. I'd hate to spend money on a feature that might not get use. $100 seems worth it assuming I come across an instance where I'd need it. Since I can't think of specific reason, it kind of feels like a waste. I could always upgrade later, but it costs more.   Would there be any reason for either one to be more affected by the source or should the output data be exactly the same?
I'll definitely give them a bit more of a listen when I have the chance.   Yeah, Gallowbraid is pretty similar but I also have to give him credit since it's a solo band. I always seem to give bonus points when it's a 1 or 2 man group, if it's reasonably good.
Well, you are right. I'm a fan of Agalloch and I am liking the sound of that. The transition at around 6:45 reminded me a lot of the transition in Agalloch's "Our Fortress is Burning pt. 1" at around 1;20, with a slightly different style to it. I'd have to hear more before I'd say I've fallen in love. I definitely look forward to hearing more!   I searched and did see any posts about Gallowbraid. Seems be another popular choice for those who like...
Basically: I have some money to spare and the holidays are coming up. Each year I tend to add something to my audio collection, whether it be headphones or other components.   Currently, this is what I have:   -AKG Q701 -Ultrasone HFI-780 -Etymotic ER4S   -Hisoundaudio Studio-V -Schiit Asgard   I'm working internationally currently, so I also have the following but do not have them currently with me:   -Terminator...