Posts by astro

I've had three Etymotic ER4 cables fray on the left earphone within a year.   I've had the ER4 for 10 years now, it's frayed one times before this. I'm not sure why it's all of the sudden going bad at such a high frequency this past year. I can say that I often use this in bed with me laying on my right side. The left ear is facing the ceiling. I always wear etymotic cables over the ears to reduce microphonics. Would anyone have a suggestion for a cable that's less...
 They look like those. Do yours have the white plastic mesh in the tube? When I used ones without the white mesh, they were the best tips I've used. But with the white mesh, I found them too fatiguing to listen to.
Interesting. Did you wear the earphones over your ear? 90deg seems better for over the ear while 45 deg seems better for inserting them normally.
I find the newer Shure Olives to be worse in sound. The newer ones have a plastic grille in the tubing and I think that's degrading sound quality. The instrument separation doesn't feel as clean with them.
I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I frayed three of my cables in the past year, all in the same place, the joint of the left cable. I bought one replacement cable and after that one broke, I soldered the good side of the old cable onto the new one. I listen to them a lot laying down, but I usually lay on my right side. The left side is floating in the air and not being pressed down against by my head. I wear the earphones behind my ears and I think that may have put the...
Yeah I've switched back and the ety magic seems to have returned. It's a shame since the Black Olives have superior comfort and isolation.
Is it me or do the Shure black olives impair sound quality to the Etymotic ER4? This new batch I have has a plastic mesh over the tube. I feel like it muddies up the sound quality.
Thanks for helping me out with the crosstalk. It's assuring to know that it's normal.
Would someone here do me a favor and test this L/R channel test and see if you get crosstalk - basically test with only one phone in your ears and tell me if you hear sound only for that channel. I did a cable swap and I'm getting quite a bit of crosstalk (~30%) and I want to know if it's normal.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hTvJoYnpeRQ#t=16
I used the stock cable. I'm not entirely sure how everything is wired up with the stock cable.   There are 4 wires Red - right Black - left white - It doesn't seem like this is connected to anything, testing the resistance between this and the left, right, and shielding shows it's open. Shielding - common ground   The L/R/Ground wires seem properly isolated. I used very little solder to ensure there isn't extra that might create a short. I placed heatshrink over...