Posts by ProtegeManiac

A recording of another system is not a reliable way of auditioning them. For one, your own playback system will get in the way - whatever coloration your system does to the sound or any other distortion it does will impact what was recorded. Second, the recording system itself can be suspect - what if his microphone didn't have a flat response? What if he didn't set it up properly? Even if you set those up properly recording a speaker system and then playing them back...
Some people just have hypersensitive hearing, except for the most part it's more of an EQ effect than anything we're likely to see in comic books or other media, like a blind Korean  warrior ticking his tongue and using it as sonar or a blinded samurai who can hear hearts beating to know when and where the attacks will come from. It's more along the lines of scratching a blackboard but much, much, much worse.   Check with an ENT, but for the most part it might be...
 The thing with Grados is that many people use the term "front row," but get them loud enough and it sounds like you're up on the stage already. Wear them in reverse and it will sound like you're in the middle facing the audience. That said, the overall tonality and easy to drive characteristics of SR80 and SR60 are a nice compromise if you don't care about imaging nor need the isolation.
 Try this solution instead: contact your HMO and schedule an appointment with an ENT. You could have earwax build-up, if not some kind of infection, or worst case scenario, you already have some kind of hearing damage. If it's the latter, you either have full-spectrum hearing loss, or it might come with an EQ effect. I know someone who had an ear infection and now his hearing is EQ'd in the worst way possible - his hearing is highly attenuated from around 600hz to 10khz....
 If he didn't need the speakers to be nearfield I'd say the Ragnarok for his budget, though I haven't heard it. I did list the Cayin CS55-A, since I listened to it recently driving the Aurum Cantus Volla, Duevel Planets, and my HD600 (on the front headphone output, not the speaker binding posts), and I would have bought it if I needed one like it.  He needs the electronics to be relatively compact. I assume he needs space for a computer, a laptop at minimum.  We're...
I found these just by using the searchbox on my browser. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_stage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_imaging   Basically, the mic set-up during a recording mimics how ears would hear the instrument, so they are recorded as such. A properly recorded track should have a relatively easy to pick out image of the soundstage, where the vocals are in front, the drums and bass guitar behind, and guitars are to the left and right of the vocals....
 Speaking of which, I once installed a subwoofer in the passenger footwell of my car, to get around the crossover settings I'm restricted to using - too high and no gap = pulls the bass image backwards, partly due to reflection/reinforcement by the cabin an partly becasue I can feel it on my seat - but I had another thing to experiment on. When a friend hitched a ride with me I attempted my own audio version of the Spanish Fly and ran a 20hz tone on the subwoofer that was...
That NAD is putting out 50w of clean power. My NAD304 makes 35wpc, and at 2:00 on the dial the music is still clean but my ear drums are giving up. Our house is made of concrete, and even with all the iron-frame glass windows closed, I can hear the speakers from the other side of the driveway. You'd probably get slapped with a noise complaint at just 20w if your speakers have at least 88dB/1mW efficiency, and by that point I don't think the NAD is anywhere near its limits.
 That depends on what your reference is, considering there are open-back headphones that are realistic for certain situations. If dampened well enough they can hold their own. For example, let's stray a bit out of the budget range. If for example your reference is the tone and dynamic range of the drums if you yourself are playing, with no regard to soundstage, then the SR325 is the most realistic out there. As in you can really hear the cymbals that close to your head. If...
  I only put up the HD800 as a rough example, as indicated in my post. Past that, just to be perfectly honest, I just don't see the point in spending $7,000 on the monitors alone, and then listen to badly recorded or highly compressed music on it. Might as well go for less expensive gear because the thing is, the more you pay, the more revealing and neutral the speakers and headphones tend to be given what that particular kind of technology is capable of. What people...