Posts by ProtegeManiac

You'll need to use a USB audio to SPDIF converter. It basically functions like a DAC, and some of them can work off the power the host device can put into it through USB. Check the Android DACs thread, at every fifth page (ends in 5 or 0) there's a link to the updated list of Android devices and known DACs. Some of the DACs listed have USB to SPDIF converters built in, while dedicated converters are mixed into the list.I've seen an iPad Mini used in this fashion but with...
 You might do better with an AKG x7xx. Massdrop is offering the K7XX (no seriously that's the model number for their limited ed version) for $199, that leaves you $301 for a DAC-HPamp to drive it.
 Not everyone heading to an IASCA or EMMA even is going on an Escalade trying to blow their windshields off with Audiobahns.  Some like Scot Buwalda will use several subs, but apart from achieving a flat response, personally using three was more along the lines of making his install symmetrical - he uses three dual mono amplifiers for the front speakers, so using three more - one on each sub - would make his amp rack symmetrical. For a non-competitor this doesn't get...
 I have the ASG-1.3; the ASG-1.5 is relatively new so you won't find any reviews yet, but the thing is I can't recommend the 1.3 since it's been phased out in favor of the 1.5. Soundstage size is just about average for an IEM (not that I've actually heard any IEM do better than this, but I'm assuming for now that the ones that get rave reviews probably do) but I can hear every instrument well enough. It depends on the source and amplification though, plus what you're...
 Using a sub to play everything below 55hz to 70hz where most 7in to 6in drivers taper off makes you a "basshead"?  These speakers have 13in passive subwoofers built into their cabinets and integrated into their crossover circuits and these are about as flat a response as I've ever heard, and yet go down real deep, without the crossover tuning that you'd have to do when adding a separate sub since these were already designed by the factory with this fixed location and...
 I'm afraid they don't get any smaller than Marantz NR-1x0x series. The DSP alone plus the board for all the inputs they anticipate will take up a lot of space, plus the amp and cooling fins inside and then there's the need for a power supply that will power both the amp and the DSP circuits. As it is some receivers can't even run all five channels without dropping to less than half of whatever deceptive measurement manufacturers used (not as prevalent nowadays, maybe they...
 Not sure how to do that without affecting the actual music though, in case there isn't much of the music in the same frequency as the hiss.   Neutron is all software, processed by the device CPU with no dedicated DSP chip, so everything it does will still go through the rest of the system. I use that same app on either system I listen to, with separate EQ profiles for the ASG-1 and the HD600. It also has variable crossfeed, but I don't really use it; still works through...
 If the Android device works with a given USB DAC without UAPP, then Spotify should work also. My SGS3 works with the original D-Zero on any app, including Spotify and YouTube.
 Sorry, omitted a part there. The differences are sometimes not what we normally associate with them, for example the HD600 and HD580 can sound "warmer" in terms of lower range bloom, but have sharper treble. That's why at some point I wised up and brought a spare set of earpads - reasonably used but at least they weren't used by several people right before I compared those three. On the same earpads, I can barely tell the difference between the HD600 and HD650, although...
 The DT990's treble from what I remember isn't so much "extended," but has some sibilance. There is however an IEM that has a lot of bass, lacks a bit of (perceived) treble extension, and is comfortable: the Aurisonics ASG-1.5. When I picked up my ASG-1.3 used I tried it first, and on initial listen (which was during a meet, and I was listening to my HD600 the whole day), it seemed dark by comparison, but the bass was powerful and if you had quality upstream components...