Posts by ProtegeManiac

Why not just use the CD? Maybe it can read MP3's off that. And again, I'm curious as to what's "custom" about it at this point if those are its limited features. You'll be better off getting an $80 Clarion media receiver with no ergonomic issues than dealing with the ergonomic issues on a player (not near line of sight, can fall from where it is under braking, screen might not be bright enough depending on where the sun is, etc) playing high-res through FM. You don't...
 It doesn't. LOD stands for "Line Out Dock" - it's for a fixed level analog output and Androids don't have this (AFAIK not even the ones Samsung got sued for ie the tablets with 30pin dock ports). The closest are Samsungs with the factory multimedia docks. What some Androids have is USB audio through a USB OTG (On-The-Go) adapter, although there are cables already wired for OTG on the phone end and can plug directly into a DAC. Ibasso packages one with their D42 Mamba (the...
 I went to a local store to audition that one. Demo unit had it already when I got there, despite being on display for only a few weeks at the time.
 If you really need low bass I wouldn't hold back on Monoprice. Just turn it down if they start overpowering the upper bass response of the standmounts. Oh, and get anything with 6in drivers if not larger.
Quote: Originally Posted by indieman    Hello! Recently I decided to get rid of my huge diy floor standing speakers in my room to clear up some space (they also didn't sound that great >.<) --- I am looking for something kinda like this...   Unless we're talking about really tall towers that can eat up ceiling space like Dyns' Contour series and up,* standmounts would still take as much space once you put them on stands. They're just easier to put away and put in...
 It won't suck the power but let me put it this way...how many high res players transmit an analog signal through FM? Why is that? Well for starters radio transmission tends to have a lot of interference - almost all transmission bands are in use, even if the government regulates it (they just make sure no two stations would end up using one that would make you hear both of them on either band). Using a proper player like the X3 which has a proper output stage and DAC in a...
 Get a Class D amp for now to drive the subs, but I assume your receiver has RCA outputs for that. Later on you can just get a 4ch for the other speakers (if you build a full active system around a proper processor) and then use the mono Class D for the subs, or get a single sub, since SQ set-ups rely more on a properly designed (and more compact, to save space for an amp rack) sub enclosure for a flat response. Like I said, punchy bass all depends on proper installation...
 Running a DX90 through an old cassette deck (do you even have upgraded amps and speakers?) will be like buying an old bookshelf midi system and then replacing its CD module with a $3,000 32/384 DAC. You would lose not just "a bit" of sound quality, and not simply from the cassette adapter but from the unnecessarily long analog chain, not all the downstream components won't do a proper source any justice (even then, that isn't even enough - see below). You can get a...
 What's custom about that deck? What I'm saying overall is that not even a $5,000 DAC will not solve the inherent problems of a car audio environment. A stock receiver playing CDs or 320kbps MP3s with proper time alignment will still sound better especially when it comes to imaging compared to just using an audio player with a nice DAC (that opens up other ergonomic issues, like how it wasn't designed to be easily manipulated by one hand out of the corner of your eye while...
Ummm...don't you think the problem to begin with was that there was enough accumulated wax in your ears to begin with? (that also affects your ears' FR) I've done that with Q-Tips too many times that my ENT decided an annual (or bi-annual if I was so inclined to drive downtown) vacuum clean with some scraping was a better solution than Q-tips that, for a time, led to somewhat bi-annual incidents (five to be exact). The main problem is you don't really see your own ears...