Posts by ProtegeManiac

While dispersion patterns and overall imaging may vary, very generally you can expect:Red speaker/blue arrow: narrower soundstage, likely more focused, not good depth due to relative lack of space between speakers and monitorsBlue speaker/red arrow: "wider" soundstage but likely lacks focus due to very strong signal at Left and Right extremes, easily localized and pulling the image; maybe a bit more depth but if the first issue is bad enough then won't matter
B&O supplied Lambo with auto sound systems before (some time after Alpine), but of course the thing with this company is that it's compactness and style first and sound quality is second. t doesn't mean that they suck outright, it's just that you pay a premium not for the sound, but to get things that a typical audiophile would rather go to the performance since he has his own listening room than some way to convince his wife that this is stylish enough to go into the...
 That's highly dependent on the efficiency of the heatsink. Was it like that before? Because my Swans D1080MkII 08's heatsinks run hot too and the only thing it broke so far was a fuse. It's likely there wasn't anything wrong with it, the heatsink just naturally doesn't get any pressurized airflow through it, not even artificial cooling in the room, considering it's on the back.
 Many of the current DAPs like the X5 and DX90 are likely to have just as much usable power (ie, enough power to deliver output that is loud enough to damage your eardrums on virtually any IEM without audible distortion) as the P-51. Any additional power is either useless or useful only for headphones that are much harder to drive (or IEMs with too many drivers).
 Honestly I myself don't understand why people even bother with the extra bulk strapping an amp to any of these DAPs, save for those who hook them up to really hard to drive headphones, and personally if I would use such headphones anyway why not just use a desktop DAC-HPamp with a bigger power supply. That said for someone on a limited budget I'd recommend the X3 (and just live with the buttons instead of a control wheel or touchscreen) and the Q701 - not bad for well...
 If they design the output stage to not color the DAC chip's output then it doesn't matter. Debates between DAC chips are essentially pointless because there's that whole circuit before and after them that a manufacturer may compromise in technical terms because marketing (ie conforming to the public's demands): the public wants more bass and more warmth, boom, here's a "warm CDP more bass slam" and a Moon HDAM for you. Which apparently is an acceptable way of coloring the...
 Like I said above, "Custom Italian Suit Cables" seems more appropriate than Blue Jeans Cable 
 I didn't say all decay was an "issue," I meant that if there were issues with the decay - such as when it lingers too long - then it stems more from some problem with the frequency response (the reverse of when what you have is a bass drum that sounds like a snare with a pillow in it). If I had meant that all decay was an issue then I wouldn't say "decay issue" and just say "decay," as if instruments just stop vibrating right after you hit or pluck it. Oh and I...
Are there brick and mortar stores in your area where you can try these out? Because you might be surprised with how good the SR225 can be, especially without stereophonic hearing. Of course, these aren't just open back, but also on-ears, so sound leaks in and out not just at the vent behind the driver but also where there are gaps between your earlobes and the earpads (even Grados circumaural earpads don't really help).  
 What's wrong with the amps on those? They're still a heck of a lot better than CMOYs. I had the X3 in a crowded showroom and the Q701's bass was still audible (not to mention tight but had a deep response) - everything else was, up to that point, woudl have been surprising for me for $200 (considering the old D4 Mamba and the previous D2 both had trouble driving the HD600 and K701). Also if you're using an IEM even an iPhone can do well enough considering their efficiency...