Posts by ProtegeManiac

They can both function as a DAC, but the two terms exist because there's a critical difference. When we say "USB soundcard" that means it also has a DSP chip as well as a DAC+ADC chip, plus a mic input - basically a soundcard outside of the chassis (with the DSP on-board it can process audio SFX independently); a USB DAC is just a DAC chip with no DSP, no ADC, although sometimes it will have a better analog output stage. In either case you get benefits vs a laptop...
 You can get the Xonar U3 for $40 for a start. My HD600s get to loud enough levels on them without any annoying level of distortion (of course they sound a bit too thin vs my Meier amp), and if you use reasonably easy to drive headphones they would work better (or IEMs - I use my ASG-1). Best of all you get two other things: surround sound for movies and games (I won't assume you'd really need the latter on a $400 laptop though - games you'll run on that probably don't...
Actually I forgot one bit: even if you drive headphones directly off the laptop, it would very likely be the same for pretty much every laptop out there. It's not likely for a laptop to use different hardware, and even if they did use different software, those are likely things that you can do something about regardless of which one you end up getting, like removing whatever sound software is in  the laptop (my Acer has virtual surround on board, but only works on movies,...
As in you'll drive headphones directly off of it, or are you planning on using it as a music server? If it's the latter, you can get a $100 Android mini-PC and set it up as a headless audio server with your tablet or smartphone as a remote control (you can see the contents in the device). You can find guides on how to do that using Google, but I think there are two threads here about it (one of them is a guide). Assuming you have an Android tablet and an existing monitor...
 I have no idea what exactly you read, what it actually meant nor how you might have taken it, but that isn't likely. The iPhone is a good source, and the input on amps will not cause any problems unless there is something very wrong with the output stage of whatever is feeding it. In this case I don't think the impedance will make for any issues  - if they'd tweak it to make it specifically for a general use iOS device it would at most be on the E9i's dock, not all the...
 Actually my point wasn't about getting along, it's about your ear health. Regardless of what they think of your hobby or what you think of theirs, if they can hear your music with closed headphones on, you're listening too loud. If they can hear your open headphones from another room, that's also too freaking loud.  In any case those judgmental reactions, even if wrong, are natural to the human condition. Think of the way you would react if you get invited to your date's...
Happened again, so I deleted all cookies again. I opened one page, and from 15 replies, went down to 5. When I clicked on one, it went to 0.
What I get from what they're saying is that they can hear what you're listening to, and if they can perfectly hear loudly what you're listening to, you can soon say hello to tinnitus.
 Not enough to worry about. Response being comparably neutral, and assuming the headphone chassis doesn't put the driver smack over the ear canals, generally the IEM would have a smaller soundstage although the imaging would be precise. The headphone would be slightly larger, many of the instruments would be slightly if not well outside the head. Unless you really care about imaging, it's not really a problem.
Actually despite the differences in that regard, the end result isn't that far off. While headphones that aren't directly over the ear canals tend to have less of the soundstage issues (even less if they mimic speaker angles), I've found that IEMs that have a generally flat response (no peaks, no deeep valleys) if at least through the midrange (though they might roll off at the top end a bit early) generally do not exhibit the same soundstage issues as headphones directly...