Posts by ProtegeManiac

What's the difference between a DAC and an Amplifier?   A Digital to Analogue Converter takes the 1's and 0's of the digital music and turns into an analogue waveform, in other words, the sound you can hear when played through a transducer, as notes or whatever. An amplifier then amplifies that analog waveform into a signal that can drive a transducer or speaker. A line out signal straight out of a DAC is mostly voltage, so assuming you can wire that up, it will be too...
 What amps have you used with PSB? I've listened to them several times in stores but haven't come across any amp that reigned in the loose bass on their multi-driver towers.
 Aune S1 Cocktail Audio X30  Olive 04HD Musical Fidelity M1 CLic
 Don't look at this in terms of price, that will be extremely deceiving. You can get a lot of amps that cost around (if not well under) $1,000 that can drive the HD800 well. My Meier Cantate.2 was less than $600 new, and that included worldwide shipping, and even its PCM2702-based USB DAC (that chip is used only as a USB receiver by other DACs) works great with the HD800, presenting a believable and well-proportioned, precise soundstage. By contrast I've tried a bunch of...
If you're getting her a headphone that she is likely to spend a lot of time on and is similar to the PS1000, I'd bet on the Grado RS-1 or PS500. All my female friends prefer Grados, including the self-confessed tone-deaf ones (who can't tell a K701 apart from an Apple earbud). For those not listening for more relaxed presentation that makes imaging more precise, the forward sound of Grados are always very appealing, and the RS-1 at least has more precise imaging than the...
If what you are after is good sound quality and not to blow your windshield off with the sub, a Pioneer P80RS/80PRS (or whatever the current model is, lost track already) and a four channel amp just for the front speakers (plus a subwoofer amp, or get a nice, fullrange Class D 5-ch amp), then run the system fully active. The digital processor will split the signal for each tweeter, midwoofer, and subwoofer, applying time correction on each of them so the sound from each...
 People think I'm just some fancy Catholic school kid (kind of like the Manila equivalent of NY's "upper east side kids," except we're on Long Island or something) when I don't take public transport, but really the point is that 1) their music is horrible and their distorting speakers make them much worse, and 2) when I'm on my car these bastards drive like absolute horse s**t, so handing them $0.25 makes me feel like I'm supporting what makes my life hell every morning...
 I have the T-Mobile version and it has noise clearly audible at up to about the second press of the volume up button from silent on NeutronMP. However since I seemed to be the only one to have had that problem. Past that I still liked the HTC One and iPhone better, but USB audio and expandable local storage was more important for me as I used it as a USB output audio server.
 For around $600: Headphone - refurb Sennheiser HD600 from Razordog, $299; spare ear pads, $60 (get them now and swap them out every few days to keep from wearing out one pair too much and immediately feeling the change in sound) DAC-Amp  - any Audio GD for around $200 to $300 I don't think surround simulation will go through USB though, but if you have one of those MSI motherboards with an OPA6152 headphone driver stage, it's enough for it to get loud with not enough...
Fantasmic by Nightwish   Beauty of the Beast by Nightwish   10th Man Down by Nightwish   The Poet and the Pendulum by Nightwish   Facade of Reality by Epica   Sensorium by Epica   Divine Conspiracy by Epica   Elizabeth I, II, II by Kamelot   Center of the Universe by Kamelot   III Ways to Epica by Kamelot   Mercy, Severity by Mudvayne   The Patient Mental by Mudvayne   Taking A Chance On Love by Jane Monheit   Things You Don't Have To Do by The...