Posts by ProtegeManiac

Why are you asking if what you need is an amp or DAC? You will definitely need an amp, so it's a matter of whether you can squeeze in a DAC too for that budget. Here's an amp with an integrated USB DAC in it: Topping VX-1.
 Is this high-end enough? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/shanling3/t200.html  (It will not leave any cash for your amp though)
 This is because the usual universal IEM shell relies on the eartip not just for the seal but also basically to hang on to your ear. A CIEM or a universal with a CIEM-type shell primarily relies on the shell at the outer ear area to anchor to your ears, and bore or tips for the most part only seal the ear canals.
 The person I got them from and I don't live in any of those places (Japan's the other one), and we have some of the most corrupt customs agents in the world. And that's because the law basically says that they can be in the service of the state, "corrupt" relegated to them pocketing anything, since the law didn't specify quantities or items, just a blanket clause that they have the power to call bulls**t on any declared value of items that they inspect and come up with a...
 I'd doubt it - even if it could, if the CD isn't pre-tagged, you'd still need to fix the tags on a computer. External drives aren't too expensive, you can just get one and hook it up to a USB port on your computer when you need to rip a disc. I still have a fat, 5.25" DVD external drive lying around waiting for when I build my next gaming rig with no ODD.
 Actually the cheap $10 multimedia speakers in most office computers suck a lot worse than better-brand HDTVs. Samsung and Sony have decent sound, and so do the other brands of similar caliber; it's the cheaper brand HDTVs that skimp on speakers, and why people who buy them are either tone-deaf or have an actual HT system and have never even heard anything out of those speakers.
 I know that book, our class moderator in first year high school was a Jesuit Priest who taught us Zen, and he also rides a scooter, and I was first in line to borrow his copy. Problem was I interpreted that message in a totally wrong way that will be totally off topic here   I don't think there's anything wrong with having a mechanic do it, really, although in my previous example I'd always say that generally it's better for one to maintain his own TT. As much as we have...
 Why didn't you say so earlier?!  Get the Aurisonics ASG-1.x (not sure what version it's at now) for $350, or the fully custom-shell version for (I think) $550. I have the v1.2 and I put down a few notes on one of my posts here. Easy to drive, dark sound I can live with (I like smooth high but as extended as possible) since it reduces listening fatigue as I wear my IEMs for several hours, for example on a jet or a tour bus. Roll off doesn't effect the bite on guitars,...
 I did kind of touched on that, and there's the problem for most users. At some point they won't notice that the tone arm level is a bit wrong, and they won't notice the damage until much later. For some proper maintenance of vinyl equipment is a part of the whole audio experience, much like how some people would clean their own guns; for the rest, well, think about it more like a Knight who'd have his page make sure to take his sword and armour out to the smith so he can...
 Like I said, I'd rather spend $600 on a custom IEM than $1,000 on a universal IEM. Universal IEM shells can break too, and if they're damaged without warranty or past the 1yr period, what do you do? Reshelling them can alter the sound; even wearing the wrong tips if you can't get a hold of the tips you like would. If you get a custom IEM and it fits perfectly (note that some have had to ship them back for reshelling) then that's done. If you do need to reshell them, like...