or Connect

Posts by ProtegeManiac

I was referring to Schiit's note about how the Valhalla2 works better on low impedance cans than the stereotypical OTL design.
 Do you mean "reverberation," like the sound is bouncing off the walls? Or that the chassis of the SR60 has audible vibration through them? If it's the latter, as much as it it's light plastic, it shouldn't be doing that - there might be something loose somewhere.
Some guy on the Head-Fi FB group who kept replying to a thread asking for which smartphone to use as a portable player that he should just buy a Clip+. The OP and everybody else explained that phones can be carrier-subsidized so they don't need to be at the same price as an unlocked phone (and subsidies are higher in some places, which might not be true for where he is), plus you will always need your phone with you and the Clip+ will always be an extra device (even when I...
Here's something to get your head spinning:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres
That depends. And earbud supposedly has space for a larger dynamic driver for more bass if you're measuring in a quiet lab environment, but the IEM can seal your ears better so in effect and in practice, you can hear more of whatever bass it's actually producing since there is less ambient noise to get in your way. That's kind of like comparing a V8 in an EWB limo vs a four-banger in a Mazda Miata.   And then there's an IEM that uses a huge 15mm dynamic driver, which is...
 See, the way sentence structure works is that I mentioned first how the Valhalla drives low impedance headphones, and then the pronoun "them" refers to those low impedance headphones. Then, I said that Valahalla's ability for such - again, I'm referring to the Valhalla driving low impedance headphones by that "such" - is comparatively more likely to have issues compared to how the Lyr would drive a high impedance load, which in this case is 150ohms (maybe 300ohms,...
 If you use USB your soundcard will be rendered useless. The DSP chip can't send processed signals back to the motherboard to exit via USB - you need to use SPDIF on the soundcard (or the motherboard, in case you're using a late model red motherboard with a SoundBlaster DSP chip on it).  If you can spend the extra hundered bucks with no hits to your finances then might as well get the Lyr, it will work with pretty much anything but electrostats so even if you don't feel...
Regarding impedance and mainstream equipment, there are cheap higher impedance headphone out there. I got my Superlux HD330 for $40 (HD660 I think costs a bit more), works great on anything I hooked it up to, including a smartphone (150oms isn't too difficult for it) as well as an old speaker amp whose headphone output impedance is upwards of 100ohms.    That said, out of the box comfort was problematic, so I bent the headband frame outwards a bit, plus reduced the angle...
 First off, here's the thing - a tube amp designed to color the sound for a playback system is not a good amplifier. By the name itself, it's supposed to amplify the sound, not colorify it, and that's why it's called an amplifier instead of a colorifier. Input signal goes in, it comes out a stronger signal with the same curve. Done. Tube amps that are designed to color the sound however are alright on guitar amps. That's basically the artist choosing his/her own sound -...
 Well, if you buy a DAC, it should have a headphone amp in it - you can't just hook up the Grados to the RCA outputs, even with an adapter. You can start with the Ibasso D-Zero MkII - it has both a DAC and amplifier and can work with some smartphones. If at any point you get headphones that are harder to drive it has a lineout directly from its DAC, so you just buy an amp.