Posts by ProtegeManiac

Ibasso D-Zero MkII, $119.
 If the speakers use BT input then how do you use the DAC with it? Also, like I already posted above, these speakers aren't even physically 2ch speakers placed 1.2m apart or thereabouts, there's really not much to be gained with a DAC vs say an iDevice since there won't be any improvement to the imaging.
Schiit Magni2Uber and Modi2Uber. Stack 'em and the height will be twice as tall but the depth is around a third of the Benchmark without the cables; if you use short, flexible RCA cables then that gets a lot more of the bulk at the rear out of the way.   There's also the NuForce HDP but it's no longer in production. Used on its side it's around the same height and width as the Benchmark, but less than half the depth. Power supply brick can be kept a bit farther than the...
 Yeah just look at that - it's basically Kansas. The only time I had a system anywhere near as flat as that (but not really) was in my car, but a time alignment DSP and a custom design subwoofer box (plus an amp with its own gain) is easier to tweak if you know how vs designing a fullrange dynamic driver to do the same.
 Yes of course, I'm just saying he doesn't need to spend that much to get a taste of real DSD hardware, but ultimately I'd still say skip it altogether.   You can edit the first post (click "Modify") then just post a reply that you have done so, and every reply after that will be based on the edited first post.
 I'll say just save up for it, the improvements seem worth it. There's that midrange response that they smoothened out, plus the improved ergonomics of the new headband design. Also, one more thing about either of those, in addition to what Music Alchemist said..."epic" here means "really flat all the way down to 10hz." There is no headphone in that price range that got that part as perfectly as these. Note however that what means isn't necessarily loud bass. If you want...
 I missed that part :P   Personally, and like I said, not really; however, as far as I'm concerned if one will use a PCM DAC anyway might as well use PCM format music to begin with rather than use one more conversion process - DSD/SACD to PCM - on the fly. However, if he wants to seriously get into DSD though to see if he can actually hear any differences, then best to use an actual DSD DAC designed for DSD, and as it is, for $99 the Loki won't cost him as much as a Wadia...
Are the TV's RCA ports for output? They might be for input into the TV. If that's the case and the cable box only uses HDMI, the only way I know how would be to use an A/V receiver, but then most of the newer ones tend to not have analog outputs anymore.
 I'll go a little bit further and discuss SACD/DSD in further detail first. CD music in PCM format is 16bit/44.1khz; higher resolution PCM formats can have bit depths of 20bit, 24bit, or 32bit; and sampling rates of 48khz (DVD-A), 88khz, 96khz, and 192khz.  SACD/DSD is a completely different format: 1bit/47Mhz. A normal PCM DAC cannot decode DSD/SACD as is. What cheaper universal players do is use a processing chip to convert it to PCM first, then run it through their PCM...
 Yes but it's been replaced with the HE400i; the old HE400 had a bit of a problem in the midrange-treble area, with a relatively deep dip followed by a relatively high peak, which being too close to each other is kind of harder to EQ with a parametric that has a bunch of variable settings. AFAIk the HE400i just has a wider valley in the midrange but basitcally it's a lot smoother. Also, HE400 looks a lot like the HE4 but has that blue plastic cup (or was it just the ring...