Posts by ProtegeManiac

I didn't pay $250 for them here in SEAsia (if I really needed tiny speakers I'd get these over the Bose though) and I'll be damned if I don't try to convince you to not pay $100 more for them 
 AudioGD NFB-15
ODAC is a DAC, it's not an "OAMP" - which is actually called the O2. Some manufacturers using the same design have made a one-box version that has both the ODAC and O2 in the same chassis. 
 I'm using the ASG-1.3 but I recommended to you the AS-2, which is not a typo (and I didn't put the decimals anymore because until I looked it up I lost track of how many revisions are current) and is the full CIEM version of the ASG-2. The AS-2.5 can be had for $1,000 as long as you don't bling your IEMs, and "less bassy" here is relative to the AS-2 - for all you know the bass from the 14mm or 15mm drivers is a lot for you so a little bit flatter response isn't that much...
 If you wear them with the drivers too close if not directly over your ear canals it will sound like that. I wear my HD600 pushed forward slightly against the back of my earlobes; it's not uncomfortable if the headband was bent straighter (ie relaxed grip).
 That depends - does your receiver have an optical pass through output? That way whatever digital source is sending a signal to the receiver it can be routed to the DAC.
 Breaking in headphone drivers isn't going to make their efficiency any higher. You are driving an 80ohm, 96dB efficiency headphone with a smartphone audio chip that probably makes around 5mW at 32ohms; it likely makes a lot less power than that and probably with more distortion at 80ohms. You need a more powerful amplifier or a much more efficient headphone with low impedance. For what it's worth though it may just have been noisy there - my HD600 can get loud enough on a...
 These sound larger than they look, but still sound small overall. I have a friend who works with the Bose distributor here who knows I'm into serious audio, and he never tried to pitch any product thinking I'll just bash it. I told him if I needed something tiny and can spend a lot of money the least compromised sound (at that size) is usually Bose. I wouldn't pay regular price but hey when someone whips out a portable Bose speaker I'm never one to complain (I'm first to...
 Given the same drivers and internal air volume if we're talking dynamic drivers, the custom would have more bass since a custom unit made for your ears will seal off your ears a lot better than generic eartips. As for what vocalists need, they're not just using these to monitor their own voice, they have to hear the drums and the bass guitar to know the right timing and beat of whatever they're singing; they're not actually following the guitars or the piano, unless those...
 It's not the DAC chip itself that does that, but the analog stage after the DAC chip. You can hook up a DAC chip to any kind of circuit using any kind of components - SS with discrete ICs, SS with op-amps or HDAMs, tubes, in some cases just a capacitor. Any type of component can be made to sound a certain way; with those that come with tubes or op-amp/HDAMs the user can roll them and get whatever flavor they want. This is one of the arguments for Direct Digital...