or Connect

Posts by Armaegis

For sale or trade: 4-conductor occ Audeze LCD2/X cable with Macassar Ebony splitter and TRS termination   I've got other stuff for trade as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563775/fs-ft-audio-technica-e70-l-h-labs-gov2-senn-hd598-grado-box-canada
@Sonic Guild   While there is some legitimate concerns about power conditioners affecting current and negatively impacting sound, this has more to do with speaker amps pushing heavy loads. In a headphone amp this is really not a concern unless you are doing something ridiculous.    That all said, I would say for where you're at that going nuts on conditioning is not really going to offer much benefit. Maybe get a cheap SurgeX off ebay for peace of mind, but beyond that...
One glowing endorsement from me on the HP-1 is that I sent it back but I miss it already. I was able to pick apart dac differences much more easily with it.
Before you guys go dropping mucho moolah on power conditioners, determine what (if any) the power issue is, if you *really* need that type of device in your chain, or if it would be better to try and track down to eliminate/minimize the issue in the first place.   I've had good luck with Furman units. Granted I have one of the fairly large beefy units, but I also have the small AC215a which worked wonderfully at reducing audible hash in the power lines.   If you don't...
Hey guys, an HD6XX spotted in Winnipeg... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649317203-sennheiser-hd-6xx/
Not a breakdown, but here's an unfinished project of mine with a bunch of disassembled pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/569510/ortho-transplant-orthosex-sfi-into-akg-k240-sextett-lp-in-progress
Two amps that I've had across my desk for review recently that actually did quite well with the HE-6 are the Neurochrome HP-1 and Wolf Ear Makoyi, both fairly new Canadian companies. I will have reviews posted up in the next week or so, but in brief:   The Neurochrome is a measurements beast and one of the most clean/neutral/detailed amps that I've ever heard. Available in DIY or completed form. It doesn't reach quite as deep as a full fledged speaker amp, but really...
 No, better simply due to the separation of the wires as crosstalk occurs when signal from one wires bleeds into a neighbouring one or if they share a ground connection somewhere. It's really negligible, but I'll mention it for the sake of being pedantic. In a 3-pin XLR, usually pin1 is connected to shield (and pin1 is frequently connected to chassis in the device). This is standard for microphone and line level balanced connection. This is assuming that you made the cable...
There might maybe be some infinitesimally better crosstalk measurements with a dual 3-pin. Or if you have particularly long headphone cables through a noisy environment, then a pair of shielded 3-pin cables might be better. Overall nothing to worry about.
I saw the "Sony 1000" and for a second had flashbacks to face-eaters known as the XB1000...