Posts by Armaegis

It is a transformer coupled tube amp. These amps require that a load be placed across the terminals at all times in order to protect the transformer. If you have headphones connected directly to the binding posts, you should be just fine. Many people however like to have the added security of some resistors in parallel on the output. The simplest thing to do here is to get a 10W 8ohm resistor (up to 10ohm will be fine) and connect it directly through the wire hole in the...
Scrooge but not humbug.
butterfly but not moth
Food but not drink.
Smallville but not Metropolis
How peculiar...
Everything is balanced until you tie one end of it to ground. But good thing ground is always a nice stable point that doesn't ever deviate or is susceptible to noise right guys? ... guys?       /nothelping  
I heard the 430HA today feeding an HE-6 and Abyss. Wow  Tons and tons of power for the HE-6 with room to spare. Overall impressions are that it is an extremely smooth sound. I heard a tiny bit of brightness at the top though I don't know if that was from the dac or the amp.   I haven't heard them back to back, but going from memory I'd give the nod to the 430HA.
 I actually tried the HE-6 with a D3020 today. For the price and form factor, colour me very impressed. I was listening back to back with a Moon Neo 430HA (a 4.3k amp) and honestly, I was initially more impressed with the NAD. Very punchy and lively sound, but a bit of sharpness up top so the overall sound was a bit V shaped. The D3020 doesn't have any analog inputs though, so you're stuck judging the sound as a dac/amp combo. If that's what the Hypex UcD modules sound...
 All things considered I though the Nighthawk was actually nice. The pieces are all modular so they can be fixed/replaced if need be. At $600usd (700cad) it's pricey, but I think sounds a bit better than the crowded $300-400 market segment and it definitely has a very nice build quality (that broken rubber piece notwithstanding). I think it's a pretty good first headphone for a company that hasn't made any before, and they're choosing to enter a market segment that isn't...