Posts by eucariote

I'd be interested in hearing your pb2/db2.   I'm a bit of a treble phobe and am curious to know if I'll prefer LCD-2 rev 2 over my 2010 model.  I hope there'll be at least one rev 2 at the meet    In case I do bring those honkers would anyone mind if I leave them at their table?   I'll be coming from San Jose if anybody needs a lift.
  Electrostatics have a low moving mass driven over a large area, which gives a better transient response.  They don't necessarily move more air, but the transients are faster and the membranes of LCD-2 and HE500 have ~2x more surface area than most dynamic headphones.  I've found that the bass in dynamics 'punches' more- if you put your hand if front of DT770 or D7000 you can literally feel the wind, but I haven't felt this with LCD-2 or HE-500.  Most dynamics also drop...
  (swoons)  I don't think there's a headphone under $1000 that can reproduce voice and piano and as well as the LCD-2.  HE-500 have wonderful mids but the deeep bass and more natural highs of the LCD-2 make the piano sound realistic, which is not easy.
      Hey, it worked..  Here's another one that gets me every time.  Tall Dwarfs - Nothing's going to Happen (~2:35-3:00).  
  Hola Che.  La respuesta es complicada..  From what I've owned/heard, my impressions are   Soundstage:  SRH940 > K271 > SRH840 > DT250 Classical : SRH940 > SRH840 > DT250 > K271 Rock:  SRH840 > SRH940 > DT250 > K271   SRH840 have more satisfying bass, which helps with rock and classical, but weak soundstage.  SRH940 have good soundstage but aren't as exciting because of slightly lacking bass.  K271 have pretty sweet mids and non-fatiguing highs, but seriously lack bass,...
Glad you like them.  Enjoy!  
    I've only heard the HE-500 and Edition 8s on your list (and the predecessors to the Denons).  HE500 were very very nice but I wouldn't describe them as aggressive.  Edition 8s are very forward and exciting with many kinds of music, but I think you can do much better for the price with an open headphone.  For example RS-1 are as enjoyable and aggressive as the ED8 imo, and have a slightly more natural presentation (but worse positioning) for half the price.  From what...
Of the closed headphones I've heard, the most enjoyable were D5000, D7000 and Ultrasone Edition 8.  As much as I enjoyed the Denons, their v-shaped signature didn't suite my tastes for a more neutral sound.  D7000's bass was impressive and with some sorts of music, very satisfying.  D7000's treble was a little hard to take and I did prefer D5000's more tempered (but still intense) treble.  The sharp treble and relatively recessed mids of the Denons drove me into the...
      I'm guessing these are typos, but HE300, HE400, HD600 & HD650 are all open headphones.  Can't think of anything closed that has punchy bass, gentle highs and great soundstage, sorry.  SRH840 come close but they don't sound spacious at all.  Most closed headphones with strong bass also have rather pronounced treble (DT770, D5000, D7000 Edition 8) and many good ones are a little bass-shy (DT250, K271, SRH940).  HD600 would fit the signature but are open.  In your...
  SRH840 actually work very well without an amp.  They're extremely good closed headphones for the price.