Posts by eucariote

Agreed.  There's something really wrong with buying two badly designed pieces of hardware in the hopes that the sonic flaws cancel each other out.. 
^ ah- I got thrown by your mention of blind tests (which usually show lack of audible difference) and the once-sentence summary of the study "When compared evenly, the sonic differences between amplifiers operated below clipping are below the audible threshold of human hearing".    Which wouldn't apply to some tube amps because they add audible distortion, I agree.  But some people do like the sound of added harmonics and some headphones are built far too bright (Beyers,...
  That article doesn't talk about the lack of sonic differences between tubes.  In fact they mention sonic changes that can arise in tube amps (e.g. roll of in high frequencies), which i have experienced first hand.  I haven't made measurements, but the differences between tubes are audible, vs. differences between dacs and ss amps that I don't hear.  Vacuum tubes aren't like wires- there are many factors that affect how electrons flow from cathode to anode (temperature,...
  x2.  I have no idea what Denon was thinking when it discontinued the D2000/D5000- those were easily the best closed headphones in their price range.
    I'd be interested in hearing your pb2/db2.   I'm a bit of a treble phobe and am curious to know if I'll prefer LCD-2 rev 2 over my 2010 model.  I hope there'll be at least one rev 2 at the meet    In case I do bring those honkers would anyone mind if I leave them at their table?   I'll be coming from San Jose if anybody needs a lift.
  Electrostatics have a low moving mass driven over a large area, which gives a better transient response.  They don't necessarily move more air, but the transients are faster and the membranes of LCD-2 and HE500 have ~2x more surface area than most dynamic headphones.  I've found that the bass in dynamics 'punches' more- if you put your hand if front of DT770 or D7000 you can literally feel the wind, but I haven't felt this with LCD-2 or HE-500.  Most dynamics also drop...
  (swoons)  I don't think there's a headphone under $1000 that can reproduce voice and piano and as well as the LCD-2.  HE-500 have wonderful mids but the deeep bass and more natural highs of the LCD-2 make the piano sound realistic, which is not easy.
      Hey, it worked..  Here's another one that gets me every time.  Tall Dwarfs - Nothing's going to Happen (~2:35-3:00).  
  Hola Che.  La respuesta es complicada..  From what I've owned/heard, my impressions are   Soundstage:  SRH940 > K271 > SRH840 > DT250 Classical : SRH940 > SRH840 > DT250 > K271 Rock:  SRH840 > SRH940 > DT250 > K271   SRH840 have more satisfying bass, which helps with rock and classical, but weak soundstage.  SRH940 have good soundstage but aren't as exciting because of slightly lacking bass.  K271 have pretty sweet mids and non-fatiguing highs, but seriously lack bass,...
Glad you like them.  Enjoy!