or Connect

Posts by eucariote

^ you're right.  I just calculated the statistical difference between two proportions.   with z value for alpha=.05  being 1.65, proportion(rich)=.65 and proportion(poor)=.54, n(rich)=23 and n(poor)=48 90% confidence intervals are = (0.65-0.54) +/- 1.65 * sqrt(0.65*(1-0.65)/23 + 0.54*(1-0.54)/48) =.11 +/- 1.65*0.122 =.11 +/- 0.2025 = (-0.0925, 0.3125)   We can be 90% confident that true proportion of rich lovers of mp3 files is between 9% lower and 31%...
   He He.
  You would begin your journey at roughly the same place that mine has ended   I cannot recommend the LCD-2 enough, but you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt because I've only heard 4 ~$1k headphones.  You'll have to ask in the summit-fi forum, or better yet, go to a meet if you want a well-informed opinion.     I will say that you probably do not need to use an expensive dac (mine is a Lavry DA11 and I can't tell the difference between that and a $300...
It happened again..  While reading about sonic comparisons of two very expensive headphones to help me with a purchase decision, the very well-respected and prolific head-fi author makes an aside about how silver cables provide more fluid mids and highs.  Ag.  
Hats off to Archimago, that was a great study.  Thanks for your efforts.       The results are hilarious   So much for the sonic benefits of lossless audio files.  I'm especially amused by the fact that people with >$6000 equipment chose mp3 over lossless as the superior format by an almost 2 to 1 ratio, compared to just over 50% people with <$500 equipment.  I wonder if that's because people who pay dearly have more powerful expectations getting in the way of experience...
  I've been culling my headphone collection and soon will have only my RS-1, LCD-2 and Edition 8s for when I need closed headphones.  Out of these, the RS-1 actually get the most head time since they are my around-the-house phone.  Their sound is extremely gratifying and with the exception of the LCD-2, they have beat out about a dozen headphones that have come and gone chez moi.  My wife actually prefers the RS-1 to the LCD-2 and thinks I'm a nut for spending so much on...
  Agreed.  There's something really wrong with buying two badly designed pieces of hardware in the hopes that the sonic flaws cancel each other out.. 
^ ah- I got thrown by your mention of blind tests (which usually show lack of audible difference) and the once-sentence summary of the study "When compared evenly, the sonic differences between amplifiers operated below clipping are below the audible threshold of human hearing".    Which wouldn't apply to some tube amps because they add audible distortion, I agree.  But some people do like the sound of added harmonics and some headphones are built far too bright (Beyers,...
  That article doesn't talk about the lack of sonic differences between tubes.  In fact they mention sonic changes that can arise in tube amps (e.g. roll of in high frequencies), which i have experienced first hand.  I haven't made measurements, but the differences between tubes are audible, vs. differences between dacs and ss amps that I don't hear.  Vacuum tubes aren't like wires- there are many factors that affect how electrons flow from cathode to anode (temperature,...
  x2.  I have no idea what Denon was thinking when it discontinued the D2000/D5000- those were easily the best closed headphones in their price range.