Posts by eucariote

LCD-2 RS-1 Ultrasone Edition 8 SE535 Monster coppers SRH940 purple Sony MDR-EX10LP ibuds
    Thanks, I haven't been keeping up it seems.  Just read DavidMahler's impressions of the TH900 and he's reporting even more recessed mids and still-strident treble.  Oh well.  Hopefully the TH600 will do more to remedy these shortcomings.
  Agreed.  I tried D5000 & D7000 with a tube amp that was even designed for low impedance headphones (Mad Ear+) and didn't like the sound at all compared to SS amps.   Holy cow, has anyone noticed how well the D2000 measure?       Head-fi should start a petition drive for Denon to bring back the Fostex-made models.  Add a *touch* of mids, dial back the treble a little on the D7000 and they'd be the perfect headphone line.
Anybody a fan of Neal Stephenson?  I just finished Cryptonomicon:     Holy bejesus that was a good read.  Couldn't get enough so now I'm starting his trilogy.      
^ you're right.  I just calculated the statistical difference between two proportions.   with z value for alpha=.05  being 1.65, proportion(rich)=.65 and proportion(poor)=.54, n(rich)=23 and n(poor)=48 90% confidence intervals are = (0.65-0.54) +/- 1.65 * sqrt(0.65*(1-0.65)/23 + 0.54*(1-0.54)/48) =.11 +/- 1.65*0.122 =.11 +/- 0.2025 = (-0.0925, 0.3125)   We can be 90% confident that true proportion of rich lovers of mp3 files is between 9% lower and 31%...
   He He.
  You would begin your journey at roughly the same place that mine has ended   I cannot recommend the LCD-2 enough, but you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt because I've only heard 4 ~$1k headphones.  You'll have to ask in the summit-fi forum, or better yet, go to a meet if you want a well-informed opinion.     I will say that you probably do not need to use an expensive dac (mine is a Lavry DA11 and I can't tell the difference between that and a $300...
It happened again..  While reading about sonic comparisons of two very expensive headphones to help me with a purchase decision, the very well-respected and prolific head-fi author makes an aside about how silver cables provide more fluid mids and highs.  Ag.  
Hats off to Archimago, that was a great study.  Thanks for your efforts.       The results are hilarious   So much for the sonic benefits of lossless audio files.  I'm especially amused by the fact that people with >$6000 equipment chose mp3 over lossless as the superior format by an almost 2 to 1 ratio, compared to just over 50% people with <$500 equipment.  I wonder if that's because people who pay dearly have more powerful expectations getting in the way of experience...
  I've been culling my headphone collection and soon will have only my RS-1, LCD-2 and Edition 8s for when I need closed headphones.  Out of these, the RS-1 actually get the most head time since they are my around-the-house phone.  Their sound is extremely gratifying and with the exception of the LCD-2, they have beat out about a dozen headphones that have come and gone chez moi.  My wife actually prefers the RS-1 to the LCD-2 and thinks I'm a nut for spending so much on...