Posts by eucariote

Prometheus- 7/10  I really wanted to like it.  It seems like there could be a good story there but the characters are so rash and stupid that I started rooting for the aliens.  
    It was great fun.  Reading the classics also helps you appreciate the origins of ideas in many later sci-fi books.  For example,   The Forever War = Starship Troopers + Childhood's End Killing lots of aliens, losing touch with past world b/c time dilation of space travel   The Moon is a Harsh Mistress = Caves of Steel on the moon Computer becomes conscious, learns from human.  People live underground.   Ringworld = Rendezvous with Rama Big spaceship found,  superior...
  I'd chalk it up the inductive nature of human perception.  Kant was among the first to point it out, it's been richly detailed by biology (here's the pdf).
  None whatsoever.
Great review.     I saw you leading to this in other threads and am happy to see such a nice comparison.  So in terms of sound quality alone, you prefer K550.  Is this by a large margin?  Do you have any impressions of how these headphones compare to SRH840 or D2000?
  Yes, that the first book I read by him.  I was on a bit of a science fiction binge..  Read all 14 Foundation books by Asimov, Dune, Childhood's End, Ender's Game, Rendezvous With Rama, 2001, Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, 2001, Slaughterhouse Five,  Ringworld, Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Hitchhiker's Guide and a few more.  Got to Snow Crash and I liked it so much I thought I'd branch off and try something new.
  Sorry, I've only heard the LCD-2 and HE-500 (really preferred the former), haven't heard the GS1000.  If you go for something like LCD-2 I'd get something cheap and capable like the o2 amp, it has 200mw per channel, which could easily handle up to ~110dB without clipping.  The National Institutes of Health recommends listening below 85dB to prevent irreversible hearing loss.  I sometimes listen to the LCD-2 in the kitchen with a lowly usb-powered udac and they still...
  Good to hear, thanks.  I'll have to have a listen.  
  X10
  Au contraire mon frère.  They improve greatly with amplification, more than any headphone I've heard.