Posts by eucariote

Closest closed headphone to the HE400 are D2000/D5000 imo.  Heard the D600 yesterday and.. no.  Mad Dogs are very nice but are a bit of a mirror image of HE400 (dark and mid-centered, vs. bass and treble emphasized).  Depends if you want a twin or a complement.  Modding T50rps would be great fun and the best bang for your buck for a closed headphone.
  I had both and thought that the HE500 spanked the D7000.  They don't have the slam of the D7000, but the bass sounded more cohesive from sub-bass to mids and they do have a little of that D7000 sizzle without ever becoming too sharp.  LCD-2 r2 would actually be a better D7000 replacement, but I see you already have those..
That was really fun.  I got to meet some great folks and manhandled a *lot* of amazing gear.  The highlight of the meet for me was rocking out to Mozart while switching between vitok33's HE-6 and SanJoseCanJunkie's HE-500 on tiberiuspv's Leben CS600 for a good looong listening session.  They easily knocked my LCD-2 out of the running.  Thanks guys!
  With my kid I find that a combination of candy and plastic traps works pretty well.     (That kid is not mine, for demonstration purposes only)
meh.  My more-demanding LCD-2 out a $100 udac at safe listening levels sound almost indistinguishable from a $1200 Lavry DA11.  Sure there are differences, but not nearly as big as those between an HE-400 and a HE-500 
  Good choice.  With your budget I'm not sure why people are recommending HE-400..  Headphones are by far the most important chain in the link.  Amazing headphones + mediocre amp = amazing sound.  Mediocre headphones + amazing amp = mediocre sound.  
  Cross the border to our north or south and you only have to wait 5 years.      You're not flying halfway around the world for a headphone meet are you?  
  I hope that's just root beer in your mug.  
  To get you started, here is the piece of matlab code I used to do essentially the same thing, but for analyzing EEG (with options for normalization by log and square root).  The frequency ranges in the fourth line are relevant for brain activity but change them to whatever frequency ranges you need.     startPoint=1; endPoint=length(Signals);  %display of y axis: yUnit='power' or 'sqrt' or 'log' yUnit='power'; %energy of wave of each frequency fBands=[0.5  2.5  4.5...
  I owned and a/b compared D5000 to D7000, later the D7000 to HE500 and HE500 to LCD-2.  I slightly preferred D7000 to D5000, HE-500 were leagues better than D7000, LCD-2 edge out HE-500.  So, by memory, direct comparisons and the law of transitivity, I'd say that LCD-2 are much, much better than D5000 .  Bass of D5000 is a little more one-toned, but goes much deeper in LCD-2.  Planars' mids spank dynamics' imo and LCD-2 don't disappoint.  I think they're much better in...