or Connect

Posts by eucariote

Upgrading your amp/dac will have little on no benefit.  Upgrade your headphones, that will dramatically change the signature, maybe for the better if you choose well.   Go plug them into some monster receiver (even at a hi-fi store if you have to), I bet you the improvement will be small compared to your fiio.
Lol- in 3 out of 4 videos/pictures of me from the meet I am wearing MadDogs/modded T50RP in 3 different stations.  I think I was really curious about their sound..  In the other I was wearing HE-6 which I *loved*, I think that was the headphone of the meet for me.  I didn't listen to any Stax though, because I wanted to keep my auditioning (what did warrenpchi call it?) reality-based.   Yes, thanks uzi for the El Metate tip- you weren't kidding, the super chicken is the...
I'm a scientist, and do appreciate Husserl and Merleau-Ponty  but am a bit dismayed by the rudeness in this forum.  It really gives us empirical types a bad reputation in head-fi.  My apologies.
  M50s are very durable.  For your budget I'd recommend those or SRH840 (which are bigger but do fold up), their sound is more balanced and refined than V-moda.  They are easily the two best closed headphones in your price range.  
      It's ok, hundreds of (blind) audiophiles agree..  lossy files sound better!
    Heard the HE400 off a Magni yesterday and the results were spectacular.  Highly recommended 
  Closest closed headphone to the HE400 are D2000/D5000 imo.  Heard the D600 yesterday and.. no.  Mad Dogs are very nice but are a bit of a mirror image of HE400 (dark and mid-centered, vs. bass and treble emphasized).  Depends if you want a twin or a complement.  Modding T50rps would be great fun and the best bang for your buck for a closed headphone.
  I had both and thought that the HE500 spanked the D7000.  They don't have the slam of the D7000, but the bass sounded more cohesive from sub-bass to mids and they do have a little of that D7000 sizzle without ever becoming too sharp.  LCD-2 r2 would actually be a better D7000 replacement, but I see you already have those..
That was really fun.  I got to meet some great folks and manhandled a *lot* of amazing gear.  The highlight of the meet for me was rocking out to Mozart while switching between vitok33's HE-6 and SanJoseCanJunkie's HE-500 on tiberiuspv's Leben CS600 for a good looong listening session.  They easily knocked my LCD-2 out of the running.  Thanks guys!
  With my kid I find that a combination of candy and plastic traps works pretty well.     (That kid is not mine, for demonstration purposes only)