Posts by GREQ

The picture above is a destroyed driver. If you don't want to sell the Grado drivers for spare parts you can use whatever aggressive means at your disposal to remove them.   If you wish to sell the Grado drivers for spare parts, I would suggest a more delicate approach using craft knives, application of gentle heat and gentle prying with flat-head screw drivers.   Even spare lowly SR60 drivers will find a home if they're removed carefully. 
The U70 driver is also held in place by felt. Actually I think the PMB8 and U70 share the same (or very similar) driver.  Which is weird because they have quite different specs.   Anyway I was more referring to it being the first time I've seen a ring of felt around the driver edge for damping, not a driver being held by felt/foam.
It looks like only the felt holds the driver in place. It's a VERY snug fit. Earside the driver sits against the thin rubber ring to form a seal, so it's kind of important to not push the driver on the ear-side otherwise the seal breaks and bass drops. (obviously I don't mean it 'drops the bass'... you know what I mean) The 'ex' foam seems to only be there to provide basic damping and more likely prevent sound reflections from the inside of the cup.   So yeah... one...
I really don't think this one qualifies for the thread, but zilch0md, if you insist....  
I've only ever had an HP3, and I passed that on a while ago, so I can't really comment on yamaha similarities... but I don't remember any headphone I've had being damped like this one.The driver sits inside a ring of thick black felt which is indeed around the vents. 
At home/office - 598 sounds better than urbaniteOutdoors - Urbanite sounds better than 598 Apples and tangerines.
So here's something you don't see every day. The guts of a PMB 8. No headphones were harmed in the making of these photos                        I was able to successfully open both cups without making any (major) damage (a few tiny scratches). I replaced the disintegrating foam. I guess there isn't much room for modding, but to be honest, they're already really quite good without any..... ok... maybe a little.... like new ear pads.... and arctic cotton...
Sennheiser HD205. Quite similar to PX100 II drivers. Certainly in looks.  Pioneer SE-450 Driver. Quite a thick heavy diaphragm. This probably explains the lack of detail but pronounced bass slam ability.  Just for fun. Can anyone guess what this one came out of?I don't think I've seen a green voice coil before this one.Nor have I ever handled a driver that fell apart so quickly due to glue decomposition. ^_^ A little clue: [[SPOILER]]
If you mean the bigger over-ear Momentums, they only really offer a better bass presentation and overall closer to neutral frequency response than the SR80i, which emphasizes mids, treble and rolls off in the bass department. If your ears are 65mm tall or less, and fairly average in every other way, you should find the Momentums to be infinitely more comfortable than the SR80i. I'm talking all-day-long comfortable, provided you don't live in a tropical climate. Unless of...