or Connect

Posts by dj nellie

(SOLD) I am very reluctantly selling my pair of Stax SR-009s, after getting so much enjoyment out of them.  Work and family have kept me from spending enough time with them, so I figure someone else should get to hear these incredible headphones! These headphones are about three years old, but I'd estimate that they only have been used for a few hundred hours.  I purchased them directly from an authorized seller (Headamp).  I am including an 8-foot Stax extension cable...
I have decided to sell my SR-009s (classified here), so I don't need an electrostatic amp anymore.  This is an amp built by one of the most respected electrostatic amp builders, Spritzer (aka Birgir of Stax Mafia fame). It's a very compact, powerful, unique design.  It's set to 117V.  Here is what the builder himself told me about the amp: "A very special KGSS that I once built for my desktop rig until I just combined the systems.  This is a KGSS with a separate PSU even...
Re-posted in the proper forum (headphones).
 Good to know.  Upon further testing, I realized that the hiss is only in the right channel.  I tried several different headphones, so it's definitely an issue with the AK240. B&H Photo are exchanging the unit from me, but this is not a reassuring sign of quality control from A&K...
I finally got an ak240, but there is a loud hiss that begins as soon as I press play with any music track, using my JHA Angies. Does anyone else have this problem? It's totally silent until I start playing music.
Back to the subject of the CF weave... Am I the only one who thinks the weaves on the newer units look a little "Charlie Brown"-esque? They're a bit too straight for me. What I like about the design on mine (and it seems, most of the older units) is that the weave pieces don't connect and form straight lines. They have a bit more of a rough, unique look while still looking symmetrical and parallel.
 Do you hear hiss with the Layla and the Hugo?  How about with the Rx and Layla?   Just wondering, because the Hugo is a fine source and seemingly decent amp, but it produces very audible hiss for me with both my Angies and UERMs.  I liked the Rx MK3-B with full-size headphones, but that amp was very poor with IEMs due to the high gain/high hiss level.
I got a chance to hear the Layla at Jaben in Singapore last week.  I didn't bring my Angies with me, but after owning them for a month, I feel pretty comfortable giving impressions about how they compare.   Bottom line for me was that the Layla, while slightly better in many ways than the Angies, didn't strike me as being overwhelmingly better overall.  With the bass dial at about 1:00 on the Laylas, which is where I have my Angies, I felt the Laylas had a bit more...
 The cable on your Angies is shorting out?  Hard to believe the cable isn't covered under the warranty, especially since it's not a cheap throwaway cable like most that are included with IEMs. I'm already noticing the weave on my cables coming undone a bit, nothing major but a bit unnerving, especially in light of your cable failure.  Overall though, the cable is very non-microphonic, which I like.
 I don't recall anyone else saying the Layla/Angie are mid-forward, can you clarify what setting you had the bass dial on?  Was this just a short audition, and what was your source? Just curious, since it seems most people who have an issue with these IEMs think they're V-shaped.