Posts by dj nellie

I did contact Chord, and here was their reply: "There is a small amount of background noise from Hugo when using very sensitive IEM's. In order to have a product that can also drive insensitive high impedance headphones we have had to design an output stage with a high current driver and also a high voltage swing. Unfortunately we don't have a way of changing the gain to suit every type of IEM or headphone." So I'm not crazy and Jude's review was spot on. But, it's...
I don't hear any hiss with my Beyer DT1350s, but that's the only other headphone I currently have with me to try.  Kind of makes me think I'm crazy to be the only one who has had either hiss or a short usable volume range issue with so many portable DACs/DAPs and amps.  Even though Jude did mention this issue with the Hugo in his review of the Flow, I'm surprised hardly anyone else seems to notice it.     One of the things I love about the AK120 is that it has a black...
Wow, so I guess this isn't a common problem.  Maybe I'll have to get my unit looked at by Chord.  The hiss is quite loud with my UERMs, I don't have to strain to hear it at all.  The background is definitely nowhere near as black as my M8s were.    With my UERMs. I also don't have much of a range between a "too soft" volume and a "too loud" volume when using my AK120 as a transport - there is one one volume level where a slight turn of the knob makes the volume jump...
Well, I had been out of the Head-Fi loop for a while and was feeling somewhat uninspired by my CEntrance M8 - it's a very competent and versatile piece of equipment, but its somewhat flat sound never left me feeling very inspired.  So I decided to check out the current top options for portable DACs, and was trying to decide between the Aurender Flow and the Hugo.  I ended up going with the Hugo because of the lack of reviews of the Flow in comparison to the Hugo, despite...
This is a very lightly-used Furutech USB cable, designed for use with iDevice transports like the Fostex HP-P1 and CEtrance HiFi-M8.   The cable is part of Furutech's ADL iD-30P series, and features a silver-plated α (Alpha) OCC conductor (28AWG) and 24k gold-plated USB A-type termination.   Price includes shipping within CONUS and PayPal fee.
This is a lightly used, less than one-year old HiFi-M8.  It has the low gain mod done by CEntrance so that it has a black background with IEMs, but also works great with full-size headphones.  This is the best-sounding iDevice transport I've owned, and I've previously owned the CLAS, Solo -dB, and Fostex HP-P1.   I'm also selling a Furutech iPod USB cable, which is has a silver-plated α (Alpha) OCC conductor (28AWG) and retails for $95.  If you don't need that then I...
I just got a Smyth Realiser and now I'm a believer in the awesomeness of both the Realiser and surround sound music.  Just to confirm:  Is there any way to get 5.1 channels out of the PWD?  How about the Direct Stream?
Same thing happened to my pair.  Ultrasone USA sent me some replacement adhesive rings and new pads (which you don't really need, but are nice to have).  Just make sure you remove the cloth lining over the drivers (if you choose to put the new pads on), since the pads have cloth linings of their own.
Question about storing the 009s long-term:   I'm going to be moving soon, and I have 2 options:  Either take my 009s with me on a trans-Pacific flight using a Pelican case, or store the 009s in the original wood box where they'll be transported through humid climates and on board ships for about 2-3 months.   Which is the safer option?  Is the wood box really as good as Stax claims it is for limiting the potential damage of humidity?
This is a pair of XLR-XLR interconnects with Whiplash Audio's TWag v.2 Eclipse silver cable, terminated in cryo-treated, carbon fiber XLRs made by Cryoparts.   I bought these new, directly from Craig at Whiplash.  Price includes shipping within CONUS and PayPal fee.  If you live outside of COnUS, please PM me for a shipping estimate.