Posts by jaycalgary

It would be nice to hear about the sound improvement not just how the HD800 is so much better. Was it just a cable to the mini xlr? I think the weakest link is between the mini xlr and the drivers. That's where the coat hangers and the thin cheap wires are. I read somewhere on here someone hooked them up with a "Y" cable and there was improvement in sound and efficiency.
"Out of curiosity, how many here who commented on the K701/2's use(d|s) them recabled?" This is a really good question. I had my old pair of K702 apart yesterday and it looks like AKG uses the absolute cheapest wire inside. There is a whole lot of solder joints to basically a coat hanger that runs through the headband. If your house was wired like the K702 it would never have past inspection.
Its funny in a sick kinda way how hurt people get by taking a poke at the HD800. Sennheiser probably had the K701/2 in mind when the made the HD800. It sure looks like the most of HD800 people have it out for the K701/2 to the point where they make up blatant lies about how they sound. HD800 is overpriced and sounds like it costs about $5k before it sounds really good? I wonder what percent better they consider the HD800 over the K701/2?
I just bought a new K702 because I had a rattle in right driver at high volumes. The serial number about 100 less then the old pair. The difference I can see blue glue around the edges of the old K702. There is visible quality differences between batches. I went back to listen to bass heavy music on Asix's site and the new pair have no problems. I can't see wanting more bass then the K702 offers.
From what I have read the K1000 is concidered better but in a class of their own like apples and oranges so they say. The K701/2 has been referred to as the poor mans HD800 and must be some similaritys in sound to make that referance. If they can talk you out of $1400 for the headphones and another $1200 for a cable I won't bash your headphone. I see how many of you do get upset when someone criticizes your precious. I also see how many of you feel so good about...
I bought them in the summer but I think I voided the warranty by opening them and now the wire is broke. I think I will bite the bullet and get a new pair tomorrow its going to suck having to go through the burn in process again and the fact they are worth less than half of what I will have to pay as soon as I get them.
Would this be a waste of money to worth a try for now? Its a Y cable from "Yorkville Sound" "SHIELDED PATCH CABLE WITH 1X1/4 STEREO MALE TO 2X MONO MALE CONNECTORS" It comes in 6' lengths $30.75. I could unsolder the 2 mono ends and solder to the drivers. This is probably an over priced Chinese cable but looks beefier than the stock cable. I had the driver completely out and I was listening to it up to my ear and it had the same rattle. It starts to rattle at the loudest...
Yes I can solder them no problem. I will will get a new soldering iron and supplies tomorrow. I put them back together for now. They are fairly complicated to disassemble and put back together especially since AKG's site is down at the moment. Glad you linked your music thanks. The 2nd track made me certain I had a problem with the driver. It sounds like a mechanical rattle to me. I hope this rules out the amp soundcard or laptop. It would cost me $450 here to buy a new...
I found out for sure I have 1 bad driver on the right side. I was on Acix site and listening to a bass heavy track and the right driver would rattle at loud volumes. Under normal volume I don't notice it. The left could handle everything my Shanling PH100 could give and still be clear. I went as far as disassembling the right speaker housing and heard the bare driver and the rattle was still there. I almost had it back together but broke the cheap wires. AKG's site was...
There has always been a fanboy bias toward the high end Sennheisers on here since I can remember. I am sure it upsets a few people that you would even dare compare the two lol. Reading between the lines if a headphone is compared to a high end Sennheiser and they are said to be about equal its probably a good bit better. I am surprised there is even some criticism of the HD800. Back in the day if you criticized the HD600 you would be flamed.