Posts by metman

I got in touch with Meelectronics support, and they said they could get me an out of warranty replacement discount price.  Unfortunately, the closest thing they currently have is the A151P.  Is the A151 reasonably close to the A161?  I see the frequency response doesn't look as good, and they are a step down the price scale, so I have my reservations... the rep tried to push me in to the Atlas, but I really want IEMs, and the mic matters...
I'm thinking about the Shure SE215 or SE315 with the Android-friendly cable now.  I'm a bit worried about the 315's ported drivers, as I'd rather avoid leaking sound to my surroundings if possible.  I was also thinking about maybe stepping up to the 425s for the dual drivers, but I see very mixed opinions on those.  Do the 315s leak much?  Are the 425s as tinny and lacking in bass as some people say?  The cable quality also somewhat concerns me, as that also seems to be a...
I just broke the jack on my current headphones (A161P) when the cable got caught up on something as I was sitting down, so I figured I could maybe try something new when I replace them.  I like the A161P's fairly well, though I sometimes wish for a bit more bass.  I also have some trouble with wax buildup in the drivers since there is no removable filter, and given how this pair broke, having a modular cable wouldn't be a bad thing either.   I was thinking about just...
Sending money to a paypal account listed on a website written 1/2 in Korean to get a product from a company that can only be reached during business hours in a timezone offset by 13 hours does not in any way shape or form constitute "easy".  And they still cost more than twice what I really wanted to pay.
It's quite tempting, but I don't really want to spend that much.  Also, after my experience with HiFiMan, I'm a bit put off by foreign manufacturers that are hard to get a hold of.  They have a 3 year warranty which is nice, but getting my RE0s replaced was not in any way a positive experience, and I don't really want to have to deal with that again if something goes wrong.
That's a bit more stretch then I'd like.  Also no in-line mic...
I've been looking around and came across the Audio Technica CKM500iS.  They look like they might be pretty good for me, but I'm a bit concerned about how heavy people say they are on the low end.  I was also looking at Shure, but people seem to be pretty consistently unhappy with the in-line mic/control replacement cable they sell, especially for the $50 price tag.
To get straight to the point, I am looking for something with a crisp, wide response and a shallow V sound signature, an in-line mic (in line controls for Android, if the manufacturer makes the distinction), above average build quality/durability, and good, but not air-tight sound isolation (I don't want to hear the guy hawking papers, but I do want to hear traffic and sirens).  I'd like to spend under $100, but I'd consider options up to $200-$250.  I wear them...
The other thing that makes me think it's not wax is that the sound quality doesn't degrade slowly, but all of the sudden drops significantly.  The effect can also sometimes cut in and out over a number of hours.  I still think it unlikely, but I'll see if trying to clean them helps out next time one cuts out.
Unless I have somehow mutated in to the only human I know of with clear or white ear wax, that's not the problem.  Since it seems like the left bud flakes out more often, could it be a seating problem in the bud itself?  I'm also left handed, so the left bud is the one I tend to take out when someone is talking to me or I want to hear something in the environment.  Could the air pressure change of removing and inserting the bud in my ear screw with the filters somehow?