or Connect

Posts by EddieE

That's the nicest designed Noble piece yet. Bit out of my price range, but looks the part of a flagship.
 Yes exactly. It's the same with bluetooth headphones, any headphones receiving a digital signal from the source must have their own digital to analogue conversion and amplification circuitry installed - more commonly this is in the ear cups, but Audeze have gone with the cable. In some ways, this makes more sense. It allows it to be replaced if it goes wrong, upgraded if they come up with something better, and for them to make just one SINE model than can be digital or...
 I'm not following you?  Do you mean the Audeze lightning cable? The inline module in it does in fact incorporate a miniaturised DAC, amp, DSP circuitry as well as a mic. There is a lot of tech in it, which I why I don't get why people think that $150 is an outrageous price for this. The whole idea of Apple ditching the TRS socket in itself though, is outrageous as the is the end result of it if it happens - every single set of headphones need to have its own circuitry....
 Like I said - that should be read as a discount bundle price. Why would no reasonable person buy a dac, amp and cable with DSP for $150? You've been on head fi since 2001. It can't have escaped your attention that most members here have spent that amount, and a lot more, on a DAC on its own, an amp on its own, even a cable on its own.  In fact a DAC/amp that is $150 is generally considered a bargain basement sort of a product. Still struggling to figure out why in this...
 I buy a phone and I use it until it dies. Same goes for a DAP and any other electronic device.  The point I was making was that, if Apple in fact end up doing away with the TRS socket on their phones, and others follow suit—then every single pair of headphones sold will have to be bluetooth or lightning. That means a separate amp and dac in every single set—massively wasteful.  It's not the same as saying we should do away with all electronics; I love electronics. It's...
 I don't believe it will. Why should we expect an improvement in sound quality by making the DAC and Amp circuitry tiny? There are huge restrictions with this method - it has to be powered by the phone, it has to be small enough to fit on a cable or in the ear cups, it needs to be cheap enough that people don't loose their ****. See this thread as an example - no one calls a DAC/Amp expensive if it costs $150. They call it cheap and cheerful. Incorporate that into a cable...
You guys get that this is not just a cable, but a miniaturised DAC and amplifier with DSP?
 I think it's more realistic to look at the bundle price as a special offer. It's not a cable, it's a dac and amp with DSP. $150 sounds about right. This is exactly why I am against the idea of Apple getting rid of the TRS socket by the way - if they pull it off as a standard, every headphone has to have its own DAC and amp, it's wasteful, over expensive, and there are going to be quality issues on the need to miniaturise electronics.
The measurements up on Inner fidelity look pretty impressive - that level of low distortion and noise is what I only expect to see at the very high end. Might have to give these a go.
It's not getting derailed, people are having a discussion.Rob will answer the questions he feels like and post the blogs he wants to when he sees fit.People are allowed to discuss topics brought up between his posts.You also seem to be missing the point that what we are discussing is a question I asked Rob myself, which others have been answering for him, and you've put your fake mod hat on and had a pop at me.Just leave it. People are allowed to talk amongst themselves...