Posts by EddieE

Memory foam won't flatten and lose its shape too quickly like traditional open cell foam pads do, and the protein leather outer skin is easily cleaned.I expect that they will release adhesive replacement pads as these models get older and need them, but there is no serious need for it right now.This isn't like the ATH-M50 where the pads flatten so much that the sound noticably changes within 6 months of daily use. It's another level of quality and durability.
OK some further impressions: A month or so into these, I have to say they rate up there among the best closed cans. As is the Head-Fi way, the Spirit Pro have become the FOTM and the Classic have been somewhat overshadowed, but they are superb headphones and deserve recognition as such. They have largely been compared against the very-similar Spirit Pro, and the fact that they are “slightly warm” in direct comparison has led to some silly “veiled” comments. They are only...
 Maybe they want to see if the Android/WP one sells well enough to justify the manufacturing of the Apple version. There are many more Android devices in circulation than iPhones, so it makes sense to lead with that version. As for differences in sound and cable material - I am on the fence and won't express an opinion. I used to be sure that there was no sonic difference, but recently I have had some experiences that made me think twice. Certainly these metals have...
 It's a lot of money, but is it really out of whack with the market? If you have a look at the price of aftermarket "boutique" IEM cables and extensions people buy which arguably have a less professional finish than the one made by Sennheiser - it doesn't seem outrageous. People assume these boutique cables have some magic properties, but I would personally trust Sennheiser to make a higher quality, more functional cable than any of them.
How do you find the mic being so low on the cable, at the y-split?Do you find you have to lift it up to your mouth to be heard, or does it work OK just leaving it hanging?
"Lossless" is not the key word - "transparent" is, meaning the point at which anyone would fail a DBT between the file and the CD it came from. Whether there is any loss is irrelevant if you can't tell the difference.
I found that just pulling up the rubber Y-split adjusted to pull the cables closer to my face completely irradicated microphonics.
 Yeah I'm sure EQ could fix it, but if I was in the market for home listening headphones right now, there are models I love without any need to EQ - such as the various Stax Lambda models that suit me very well. Not as great a soundstage as the HD800 for sure, but have a wonderfully sweet and natural, low distortion sound that works for me.  As it is I do my home listening on my Magnepan MMG speakers with a REL Quake Sub at the moment (moving in with girlfriend make...
 A best you're trying to draw an analogy between a black-and-white issue and a grey one. At worst you're comparing apples and oranges. ANYONE - and I mean anyone - placed in front of a 720p and 4k TV - provided they were close enough - would pass the test as to which had more pixels. The test would have a 100% success rate. So far, NOONE has proved they can pass a double blind test between a 320CBR MP3 encoded with modern error-correcting software and a FLAC file made with...
 HD800 is one of those headphones I wish I could love, but I can't. I have heard it on dozens of different amps at meets over the past few years, but I can't get over its clearly shelved up, peaky treble. It also needs a little lift to the bass, but I can live with light bass, I can't live with those treble peaks/shelf. When I listen to acoustic tracks without cymbals (which have little high frequency information) I have loved them - such a smooth, distortion-free...