Posts by Head Injury

Yeah, it's a shame about Oasis. I really like a few of their albums. Another shame is Muse. Not for brickwalling but for generally poor mastering (yes the two can be exclusive). From Supermassive Black Hole, one of my favorite Muse songs. There seems to be plenty of dynamics, but check out the red. Mm, clipping! 
There's an unofficial "unmastered remastered" version of Californication floating around on the internet, or there once was, made from a leak of the unmastered audio. You might want to look for it (I won't try to find a link for legal reasons). Much better dynamics. DR11 according to the engineer (I don't keep the plugin around anymore). 
Just asking "Do you hear a difference?" is meaningless, especially right after you ask "They really do sound different, don't they?" Just about anyone will hear a difference after that. What's much more important is if you're able to correctly choose which sample is which in an ABX test, which will demonstrate you can hear a difference. Luckily, the author offers WAV downloads, so download Foobar, an ABX plugin, and go wild! I'll be taking a look through the files in...
Precisely this reason. You want to test using a format people are familiar with, otherwise they either won't learn anything from the test or they'll just have another "flaw" to pick at ("Sure I couldn't tell the difference between these files, but the differences between my FLACs and 320 kbps MP3s are like night and day!") So in most cases this means testing with MP3s (the most widely available and used format, for better or worse) or AAC (iTunes, for worse ). Or, for...
Well, yeah. They want you to use iTunes. They'll just roll the streaming service into iTunes, if anything.   The graph at the bottom with physical music sales is more depressing IMO  
That's more of a receiver than an amp. Nice find  It's got a built-in DAC so optical is fine. I'm concerned about output impedance, though. Receivers aren't usually designed for headphones, and many have high output impedance that can cause coloration and lack of control in the bass. It affects low impedances the most so the HD650 is pretty safe with its 300 ohm impedance. Still, if the output impedance is high enough you'll get a midbass boost and a loss of subbass. You...
There are two things that determine the loudness of a headphone, impedance and sensitivity. Impedance determines how much power a headphone will receive from some amount of voltage. Amps usually put out a certain maximum voltage, so the higher the impedance the less power. Sensitivity, usually measured in dB/mW for headphones but sometimes dB/V, determines how loud the headphone will get with a certain about of power. The higher the dB/mW the louder it will be with the...
Have you been to a convention? I've been to two, and if you ignore the godawful panel questions, they bring the fun back in a big way. I was kinda falling out the fandom until I went to TrotCon this summer, after which I fell back in love completely with the community. Keep in mind I'm a social recluse, too. It's worth considering if you have the means. Speaking of, TrotCon 2015 was just announced  
2.07 V is enough for about 109 dB. Again, goal is 110 dB to cover all bases, but you'll be perfectly fine with 109. Actually, with a gain setting of 1x on the O2, you'll get exactly 2 Vrms from a standard DAC like the ODAC. So if you're afraid 2.07 won't cut it you better stick with the default 2.5x gain  
I third the O2+ODAC. It's really overkill for high impedance headphones (which, contrary to popular belief, are less demanding for the amp) but you're just about guaranteed transparent performance with any future headphone. The suite of performance measurements into a variety of loads is great peace of mind. If JDS is too pricey for you, you can get the complete set from Mayflower for $239.99. You lose the custom laser engraving, and the silver faceplate or connector...