Posts by Head Injury

I put two photos of myself in the freezer and, after a rousing play of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On", caught them making out. Highly recommended.
Planar magnetic headphones aren't affected by damping factor (having too much output impedance on the amp) as much as dynamic headphones because the impedance is virtually flat across all frequencies. The low impedance is still going to require more current, so the amps won't like it, but I think it's a decent trade-off for being able to be driven by an iPhone. But if people are going to pair them with monster amps anyway, and this is Head-Fi so you know they will, having...
The one in ianmedium's pictures? Judging from the date it's a rev. 1 driver, the rev. 2 drivers were sold starting in June 2011. I wish I could tell you, especially because I'm looking to buy new pads soon (thinking micro-suede). I still haven't found any good third-party measurements of the different pads, the graphs Audeze provides are too smoothed. I'm going to guess it has nothing to do with the pads though, to my knowledge the pads didn't change with the Fazor and...
Not all rev. 2s have the new connectors, the new connectors were introduced with the LCD-3 and any rev. 2 made before that still came with the old wooden connectors. Mine included.
Nice setup, same case (sans window) and similar PSU I'm using in my new computer next weekend. I don't have all the extra fans though, hoping it stays cool enough with the sound dampening panels still installed  I'm using an MSI Gaming GTX 970 in it, which sets the fans to 0 RPM and dead silent until it hits a certain temperature. That plus the case, an EVGA power supply and Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler should mean a really, really quiet system when idle. You know you're an...
Yeah, I've tried it. Too much reverb for me. Didn't do anything EQ and crossfeed or HRTF software can't. You don't get the impact like RRod mentioned, the sound doesn't change when you move your head, and you're still filtering the speaker EQ through your own headphone's colorations. It's not really blurring any lines, but it is a cool idea. It was a good demonstration that price != sound quality in speakers. Can't remember which was my favorite but it wasn't one of the...
The HTC One M8 already has excellent specs (at the bottom of this page), a portable DAC won't improve on it to any audible degree. Neither will a new DAP or amp, unless you need more volume or its unmeasured output impedance ends up being high.
You also have to look at the treble and midrange, too. Everything is relative, even if a headphone extends better it will sound bass-light if the treble will be louder. Take a look at the compensated curves (red and blue) and you'll see that the Q701 stays at the same approximate level of volume but the X1 slopes down and doesn't come back up.   The Q701's upper midrange and lower treble is fully 5-10 dB above the lower midrange and bass on the uncompensated graph, and...
 My brief thoughts in order:Definitely an issue. The listener is the largest bottleneck in making fair comparisons. There are too many complex biases at work to even trust one's own comparisons, let alone expect other people with different ears and tastes to use those comparisons for buying decisions Well I would hope the headphones are variables when they're what's being compared, otherwise there's not much point in the comparison Not an issue unless the cable's...
Not sure if your particular sound card supports sending its effects out through the optical, but this is how thing usually work:   Any processing you do in the digital domain with the OS, player, or sound card (like changing the sample rate, adding EQ and DSP effects, using the sound card's CMSS-3D virtual surround, etc.) gets applied before the digital signal is sent out the optical to your DAC. The only processing your DAC is doing is changing the digital signal into...