Posts by Head Injury

The RCA cable will be powering your headphones using the line-out of the DAC, which is the signal you send to an external amp. You bypass the built-in amp this way. It can potentially have lower noise and distortion than the headphone out, but you don't have access to the card's gain settings or Dolby Headphone. Also note that the noise and distortion from the STX's amp are well below audible, so even in the best case you're not really gaining anything. The RCA line-out is...
Oh I wasn't talking about your post, just the original Orpheus. I was typing my post already when you posted yours. Anyway, I don't think Senn's trying to play with the MSRP. They've been enforcing a MAP on their other models; to list the Orpheus 2 at a ridiculous price then discount it doesn't match the rest of their marketing strategy. Either it's a typo like zach thinks, or they're dead serious.
I think all but the most dedicated headphonephiles (or wealthiest, or most bat **** insane) would spend $50k on a system, though, whereas $5k is within many more budgets. Frankly I'm thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot if they plan on finding a market for a $50k headphone. But this could just be another publicity stunt like the original Orpheus. They basically made it to say "Look what we can do!" Even then I think they're making a mistake: there are many,...
The electrostat will be too rich for my blood, but good on Sennheiser for making a successor to the Orpheus. It's about time someone challenged STAX's high-end stat monopoly, else they'd probably charge $8k for their next one.   I'm more interested in the HD800 successor. I'll have a hard time justifying its price too, but it'll hopefully be more realistic. The HD800 is arguably the most well-engineered dynamic headphone ever made, and while I wouldn't be a fan of its...
It's a toss up between Stupid Dream and In Absentia, with Deadwing coming in a close 3rd and Signify/Lightbulb Sun tying for 4th and 5th. Not as big a fan of what came before or after, but these 5 are excellent, a really impressive decade of output for any band.
Oh, I know, and I even said it sounds awful! It's supposed to, really; that was its goal. The point I was making is that it's still much more than clipping, and so still much of it can be improved with better gear. This ties back in with my original point that even fans of poorly mastered music can enjoy and benefit from better gear. I was not trying to say this track sounds good, or that it wouldn't drive you nuts.
From the song title it's K-Pop, which I imagine is especially bad. But having the graph zoomed out like that is a bit misleading of how much of a percentage of the sound clips. Here's a really noisy song I have (speedcore, basically). Guaranteed worse than Silver's song. This is a worse case scenario, virtually everything else will fare better.   When you zoom way in on one of the bad patches, you see that, while there's still way too much red, it's accounting for much...
There's always more to the music than the clipping. Good gear won't cure clipping, but it still makes the rest sound better.
Because we still like the music and still want it to sound as good as it can, short of completely remastering it. Thanks to my listening habits, I have a harder time understanding why someone could only listen to one or two genres, even on the best gear. Or worse, only listen to it for an hour a day! But these are questions for another thread.
Maybe not that deep. I can do it fine with the RE-400, and they sound wonderful.