Posts by milosz

I don't think you can clear dust that's inside the driver with compressed air / duster gas.  The drivers are sealed inside dust covers-  in essence, the drivers are inside a plastic bag. The best a spritz from a can of Dust-Off could do would be to blow the dust off the outside of the dust seals.  The squeal is thought to come from very tiny bits of dust that get between the stator and the diaphragm, dust which was likely there since the drivers were made, but somehow...
As far as servicing Stax electrostatic speakers, there is at least one company out there who offers service on them -  Electrostatic Solutions.  See =>  http://www.estatsolution.com/   I don't know anything about them, except that a web search turned up their name for repairing Stax ESL's.     In addition, I imagine that folks who offer service for Quad speakers might also be able to fix problems with the Stax panels, the bias supplies, etc.
My bad.  It didn't register in my senile that you were quoting someone.
Do you have separate transformers from your power company for your "solid state power line" and your "tube power line" too?  If not, every glitch, noise burst, and transverse-mode disturbance on your "vacuum tube power line" is present on your "solid state power line," and vise versa.  These things propagate at near the speed of light. If your your solid state amp generates some kind of noise or spike, it will travel up your power line to the power company's connection and...
I think in particular there is one semi-exception to the "All the Stax amps are quite good..."  concept-  for the SR-007 you really want something like a KGSSHV Blue Hawaii DIY-T2 or Megatron.  The SR-007's sound OK on Stax amps but on something able to swing more voltage they have been called "the best sounding headphone, period"  by some folks who have heard all the best electrostatic headphones ever made. Now I think that's hyperbole, but for the SR-007 you really,...
Megatron brought them there.  They were getting a demo of a new Krell headphone amp.....
That's the Stax Mafia walking past one of the output tubes there on the gantry....  
The "headband" design in interesting.  It's interesting to see a new approach.  In particular, I like the "clamp-force adjustment dial."   Looking at the simple, not-so-well-engineered headmount setup they use on the LCD's and HiFi Man headphones - well, it's good to see someone trying to focus more on the issue of "wearability."    I thought my Sennheiser HD-800's  had really well designed / super well made headband parts, and so did a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000's that I...
Here's my new transformer-based Stax "adapter" box- (technician not included)     ....and the amplifier to drive it  
I tried an SRD-7 adapter on a number of different amps - tube and solid state- using SR-007 and Lambda Signature 'phones.  I did hear differences between the amplifiers. Kind of the same differences I heard from those amplifiers when driving speakers.  Is the SRD-7 ALSO imparting a sonic character, in addition to what the amplifier brings to the party?  Yes, I would guess it does add some contribution to the sound.  Is an SRD-7 "more netural" than a Stax amp?  I don't know...