Posts by milosz

Wow, what a fantastic job of translation!  Impressive.
Actually you can use a small-ish 12 volt battery (motorcycle battery would do, or some gel-cell purchased off eBay) and a $50 power inverter to produce "line current" type power to run a Stax rig at the beach.  I suspect a well-charged motorcyle battery would easily run the Stax amp and a digital player for many hours, and wouldn't be very heavy or large- fit in a backpack, surely, or beach carry-all. Some power inverters might generate a lot of noise on their power...
I think the pelican would resent having to share the space. Maybe you could tap off some of the spark plug coil's high voltage, store / smooth it with capacitors & diodes and use it for headphone bias... 
Gee I don't know about 404 Signature or Lambda or what have you.  I don't know much about the 404 / 507 etc models.   Lot of folks like the Stereo 70 'cause it's an affordable tube amp, a classic, and has 'liquid midrange'  and decent bass, but it's a rather dated design that doesn't compare to modern amps in some ways. The Stereo 70 wasn't as good as the best designs of it's own era, either.  My H-K Citation II sounds FANTASTIC, no lack of detail there.   Maybe there...
The Beta 22 case is Par-Metal 20-16123N, with a DIY front panel and wood 'cheeks'   The rear area has been modified too, cut away to fit the Delrin (Or is ir Derlin?) the PLASTIC block that holds the IEC inlet and is part of the isolation setup for the power supply.   By the way there's a real sapphire set into the volume knob for the pointer dot.... it's only 2 mm but it's there. (REAL but lab-made, not mined.)   Lotta tubes in that Megatron.  I'd like to build one...
Oh, that's interesting, driving Stax with a Beta 22 / transformer setup.  Beta 22 is a lovely amp.  (Insert shameless plug for pictures of a Beta 22 that I built  HERE )   I've driven Lambda Signature, SR-007 MK1's and recabled ES-950's from an SRD-7 driven by various amps:   Monarchy SM70 (the real class A original version) AMC CVT-2030 (class-A amp with EL34 outputs and MOSFET driver; highly under-appreciated amp) Pass Firstwatt J3 (class A power JFET amp) Forte...
Thanks a lot for the comments.  They mean a lot to me.   I really enjoyed building this.
Yes there ARE health concerns! Be sure to MEASURE how loud you are listening! Good transducers tend to encourage louder listening than is good for your hearing.  Get a cheap SPL meter (Parts Express, Radio Shack, eBay) and MEASURE how loud the sound is at your preferred listening level. (i.e., put the headphones on and listen for a while, then adjust to a level that you dig.  Remove the headphones and put a sheet of cardboard with a hole cut in it flat against the earpad....
This is a Beta 22 build that I just finished.  It's a '3 channel' or so-called 'active ground' version. The power supply is completely isolated from chassis ground using rubber sheets, Delrin blocks, etc. This maintains safety (the AC "subchassis" is bonded to the safety earth ground of the line cord) while keeping any noise from the AC safety ground off the signal ground.  The power transformer is inside a box of mild steel, which pretty effectively reduces it's radiated...
  I have Koss ESP-950 and Stax Lambda Signature and SR-007 mk I's. I like the 950's a whole lot. The Koss 950 is voiced differently than Stax, with a slightly richer midrange and a bit more bass impact. The ESP-950's highs are smooth and extended. There's lots of detail. Definitely an electrostatic level of clarity. But they do sound different from Stax.  That said, I feel that the ESP-950 sounds more like my SR-007 than my Lambda Signatures. I have recabled ESP-950's so I...