Posts by jwong

The X3 interface with the latest firmware and the custom list-based mod posted on this forum isn't too bad. I mean, it's not great or anything, but it's useable without being annoying to me. I actually returned the first X3 I bought when they came out because of the UI, but I can live with it now.
Kind of off-topic, but LH Labs really needs to work on their forum website. It keeps giving me the "Please update to a modern browser" message using the latest version of Firefox (updated this week) and Chrome. There aren't any browsers more modern that I'm aware of...
Hmmm... tempting. It does make me nervous to contribute to yet another project for possible delivery eight months from now when I already have money tied up with them.
I think that's a good call. I'm all for leaving SPDIF out if it has even a miniscule effect on performance.
As I said, the Shure pads won't stay on because they're lip isn't as thick as the HM5 pads. Unless somebody's Shure pads are different than mine (which are currently living on my Takstar HD5500s). The HM5 oval shape isn't much of a problem... it stays on fine. The K545/HM5 combo is my daily listening set at work.
 They fit pretty well. They're oval instead of round, so they stick out a bit on top and bottom, but they're not sliding around. My initial impression was that they isolate a little better and maybe increase the soundstage, but I used the original pads for such a short time that I can't say much.
I guess they can't make everyone happy. The low clamp force is one of the things I love about the K545. But I don't use them walking around, they are at my desk at work. And the HM5 pads work great with these phones and my glasses. YMMV.
The Shure pads are nice too. Not quite as thick as the HM5. They also have a smaller "lip" than the HM5, so they don't work on everything the HM5 will (like my AKG K545).   However, I am using Shure pads on my HD5500 right now, so they should work. You can see the white stitching on the back a bit out the top and bottom, but they stay on fine.
Interesting. I can't tell any difference in my glasses with them on...
 With the fakes going around, I'd worry. Some of them have the right pictures, but who knows. If someone finds one of those ones that sell for $12-ish shipped is legit, post it. I'd buy a second pair!