Posts by DejanM

So if I understand you correctly guys, no changes to the original PCBs and component values except for the output transformer ... is that correct ?   What do you thing about Lundahl LL2765 as an output transformer ?   http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/2765.pdf
Hi Sceleratus,   I like very much what you have done here. Using 300B in SET seems to be ultimate solution for a headphone amp. I am trying to read through your posts here but somewhere I've got stuck .... What I am interested is to find out what changes to the original scheme of Damn Good 300B you've made in order to make a headphone amp ? Did you used the original DG PCBs and then did some modifications ?   I am thinking of going the same path you did but I would...
I bought HD800S several weeks ago. I am pritty happy with the sound quality that I am getting out of them. Great Clarity is a first attribute that drops on my mind. Second might be neutrality connected with reality of reproduction.   But now I started dreaming about tube amp for them. Having heard HD800 with EAR HP-4, I know what these cans are capable of (I believe that HD800S would perform even better).
I just got AKG K7XX. On a  first listen I was very much surprised how good these cans are. It is huge improvement in comparison to AKG Q701, that I own for couple of years now. They are easier to drive than Q701 but still pritty hungry for power. I believe that headphone amp with 1W @ 32 Ohms is a minimum for proper driving of these cans.   I am also thinking that these cans are playing way out of its price league. They are really an excellent buy ...
Both headphones Senn HD800 and HD800S are very fine phones, made as you mentioned, for music pleasure. They are also rather excpencieve. If you do not have a proper headphone amp and you want to use your new headphones mainly for mixing it doesn't make much sense to go after HD800's. I would recommend you Sennheiser HD25 (it exists in several variations), because they are very fast, dynamic with clear sound. They were made many years ago for DJ sort of listening. They are...
Adding additional weight changes actually resonance frequency of the system: unit + underluying base. In some cases it can be very useful (in getting better sound quality) and in some cases it will not produce any audiable result. It all depends on the existing configuration.
That is of course true and perhaps even more important.
Well first: you cannot use Vali 2 as a phono preamp. Decent phono MM preamp needs gain of about 50 dB, which is ten times more than Vali 2 can provide. So basically for your TT you need dedicated phono preamp. Then from there you go into dedicated preamplifier, which has to have at least three inputs. It would be very good if that preamplifier would have two pairs of outputs. On one of them you can connect Vali 2 and the other one you can use to connect power amplifier...
If you are playing with tubes for Mjolnir 2 try Russian 6N23P-EV. They are among the best and do have very reasonable price, especially when compared to NOS E88CC from Telefunken or Siemens.
HD800S are better phones than HD800. That was probably the reason. I haven't heard 800S with EAR but I guess that that combination is even better.