Posts by roadcykler

Please do. Images are good.
 I got mine but not for any audible differences but for comfort reasons. They are more forgiving and the velour (or whatever it is) feels softer than the pleather pads I was using. The pleather wasn't uncomfortable but the hybrid ones feel a little nicer to me. Don't notice nor expect any audible changes.
Somebody out there also sells cd's specifically made to burn in equipment. For some reason PT Barnum comes to mind...
So that we, the consumers, can hear the magical transformation that is....burn in. Or something. 
The reviewers at Stereophile were asked how they choose what they review and the answer was, when they attend shows like CES or Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, they hear music from systems or certain components that sound good to them and they then contact the manufacturer and ask them to send the item to review. So they're starting from a point where they already like what they hear, so unless something wildly unusual happens, the review will be positive. That's just one...
I would guess that because so many people seem to erroneously believe that it improves the sound, they just go with the flow. Or maybe they too believe it. 
Ask yourself this question. Why do items that are allowed to "burn in" always sound better afterwards? Always. The answer is, it has nothing to do with burning in, but has to do with our ears adapting and growing accustomed to the sounds produced.  
At the time I had a vintage Sansui 8080db which has plenty of power. 
They are highly regarded but I don't know why. I bought a pair at Best Buy last year and they were on sale for $99. The reviews I read were all positive (in hindsight, the reviews were all from professional reviewers/publications) and I know BB has a good return policy so I figured what the heck. I got home and excitedly set them up, turned on the receiver and was prepared to be wowed, except I wasn't. To my ears they lack treble by a noticeable margin. After a while, I...
I would really like to give these a tryout. I currently have the HE 500 and have read great things about these.   1. I live in Washington state and am very close to Portland so I could theoretically hand deliver them if there was someone in that area.    2. My source is a desktop with an M-Audio 2496 sound card. I have a HiFiMan EF-5 amp as well as a vintage Kenwood receiver that I use. I have a rarely used pair of Westone W3 IEMs and the above mentioned headphones as...