Posts by roadcykler

If you look in this forum, http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science, you'll find a lot of good information about this kind of thing. It's been talked about A LOT but for many of us it comes down to suggestibility and science. As for the Crack. I built one and it was fun and a learning experience for me. The best bang for your buck is the headphones themselves. Cables shouldn't even be on the same plane but too many people think they are critical and the cable companies...
First of all convention isn't always full of wisdom. Second of all, I bet if you get one of those headphones you listed (with quite different sound signatures, I might add), your receiver will be more than adequate to drive either of them. A dedicated headphone amp will likely not provide any noticeable difference. The conventional wisdom usually says that you need an amp as opposed to driving the headphones directly from the headphone connection of your sound card. If...
Just a word of warning about FSoM. I tried to trade in a home theater receiver there a few years back with the intent to buy a Peachtree Nova that they carry and after "checking it out" for about a week, they told me my receiver wouldn't process High Definition signals. When I told them it wasn't capable of that from the factory (Harmon Kardon), they made up some other reason they wouldn't give me what they initially said they would. I asked if I could talk to the...
Not cosmetically great but maybe an option. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-SA-9800-VINTAGE-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/111408692277?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item19f079bc35
I wonder of those coupons would work on one of the $100,000+ watches? $20,000 off! 
This may have been answered somewhere in this thread, but what is the general time frame for "vintage"? I have a 1980's (not sure of the exact year(s) because I can find almost nothing about them) Mitsubishi pre-amp/tuner and power amp that I'd like to sell but don't really know how vintage that would be considered. I bought it because of the uniqueness and the condition but don't really have a place for them. The model # for the pre-amp/tuner is M-PF5200 and the amp...
 Please do. Images are good.
 I got mine but not for any audible differences but for comfort reasons. They are more forgiving and the velour (or whatever it is) feels softer than the pleather pads I was using. The pleather wasn't uncomfortable but the hybrid ones feel a little nicer to me. Don't notice nor expect any audible changes.
Somebody out there also sells cd's specifically made to burn in equipment. For some reason PT Barnum comes to mind...
So that we, the consumers, can hear the magical transformation that is....burn in. Or something.