Posts by stang

Still for sale. Have had many people interested but nothing solid as of yet. 
 Wow. I am usually at 3 o'clock on High gain with my MKVI+ (on SE). I listen to my music probably about 10db lower than my friends so not very loud at all (especially since I have mild tinnitus). 
I won't be able to afford to tube roll for quite some time, but basically when I do, it will cost between $500 and $700. From memory, I noticed more difference between tubes in my MAD Ear+ HD than I did merely comparing that tube amp to my M^3 solid state. Definitely not subtle 
I've decided to give headphone hunting a miss. I am going to get another car instead. About as expensive as this hobby is sometimes, that's for sure  I will be spending at least several months with my HE-4 I believe. Might do some tweaking when I feel I can pinpoint specific areas which need adjusting on the sound front. I don't even have any felt lying around or similar so I can't do a whole lot currently. 
I think I might go down to a store near me to try out the HE-500 in a couple of weeks (after mid-semester exams). I just want to confirm whether or not the HE-500 would have suited me better. I can bring in all my own equipment as well (thought I am hesitant about bring in a turntable and LPs haha). They cost $50 more than what my HE-4 cost me from head-direct so that will be really disappointing if I prefer them to my HE-4 (since I will have to sell he HE-4 and take quite...
 Now that I have spent some more time with the HE-4, I must say the same. The LCD-2 are fantastic for the fact they are in no way fatiguing and you can turn them up louder than HE-4 due to the lack of treble and treble spikes. I could listen to them for many, many hours straight without trouble. Having said this, they weren't as engaging or as 'fun' as the HE-4 have been (once I find a record that isn't awfully bright). I think perhaps the LCD-X would be end-game for me,...
On a different note, has anyone here (yes, I have searched before and found some helpful results but the more the better) found a difference in sound with the HE-4 over time (ie: burn-in)? I have read that some people don't find planars change much if at all over time. I was wondering if anyone here experienced anything different (even if it is placebo).    I sure am glad I switched over to vinyl because digital sounds pretty awful with these (sounded okay with LCD-2)....
 If they really are supposed to be the same, this is the worst case of product consistency (or lack thereof) I have experienced. Not that it bothers me as it's great to have different sounding earpads. Here is a cropped version of one of the images: 
Here are two more (tried with different lens, I think the other lens has a coating issue or similar):   Top: https://flic.kr/p/oMk1vC   Underside: https://flic.kr/p/oMk2k3   As you can see, they both have the same mounting mechanism and the cloth (dust/hair cover) is vastly different. The material used for the earpads is also very different. 
Unfortunately my camera and/or lens have decided to be useless and result in a huge bit of lack of contrast right where I focus on the pads, so I don't think I will be able to put up a decent image.   edit: After a bit of work, I managed to process them into somewhat useable images. I may try resolve the issue at a later date, but hopefully you can at least tell they are very different.   I will provide links so you can select the resolution you want to view it at...