Posts by colgatetotal

Yes. I had midterms and couldn't be bothered to do it earlier. Also I was a little unmotivated because how could NuForce not test the new unit before they shipped it to me? This is very discouraging.   Sent a PM to jasonl but his last activity here was over 3 weeks ago.
I e-mailed NuForce yesterday and am still waiting for a reply. Is there a way to contact jasonl so that this issue gets remedied faster?
Yes. I thought the HDP power supply wasn't giving enough voltage, but the multimeter read 14.8V. The Toshiba was actually exactly 15.0V but it didn't provide additional amplification.
Ok, it took me a while to actually do it, but I got the Toshiba PA2450U power supply. The connector was too large, however, so I got a friend to change it. It did nothing.   Also, here's a YouTube video showing how my HDP provides less juice than my uDAC, which uses internal USB power:     This is ridiculous. Hopefully NuForce can cover return shipping, because this was a fresh RMAed unit.
I got a response from NuForce:   If there is no distortion, noise, etc., then this behavior is within normal limits.  All volume controls vary in their range a bit from one to the next.  If you are NOT able to turn the unit up to sufficient volumes, then there might be something wrong.  Otherwise, the difference you note is just the result of normal variations from one unit to the next.  We hope this helps.   What a disheartening reply. I don't have any grounds...
The HDP comes with a 24W PSU as standard issue. Earlier in this thread it was stated that NuForce had offered a 42W PSU upgrade which did provide a bit more power. That is why I'm wondering if getting a Toshiba 45W laptop PSU would work. Unfortunately, I don't know whether my old unit used the 24W PSU or the 42W PSU. By the way, I paid $100 to have it serviced along with another $25 in shipping to send my old unit back. If this new unit is indeed defective, I'd want them...
Sorry for the ridiculously old necro.   Got my HDP serviced after it was making noise, but instead of repairing it, they sent a new unit. This new unit is rather wimpy and cannot power my headphones much compared to my old unit. It uses the 15V 24W AC adapter. Would I get more power if I used a Toshiba PA2450U laptop AC adapter, which is rated at 15V 45W? Would a 90W (6 amp) AC adapter damage the unit?
Aren't the diaphragm guards just pieces of black foam? Unless the foam density was changed, I don't see how the ones on the CX985 could be any different than the ones on the CX980. I took my white/pink tips out from the closet after a year of using the memory foam tips in order to re-evaluate them. Inserting the diaphragm guards still destroy the sound quality. The white/pink tips with the diaphragm guards off are also unlistenable; that 4khz treble spike is way too much....
As a current CX980 owner, I'm rather interested in the CX985, wondering whether it's just a rehash or not, because it looks virtually the same on the outside. The CX985 plug looks cheaper than the CX980s... no photo of the plug in both positions? Let me tell you why the CX980 didn't do so well. It's because Sennheiser crippled the thing with those diaphragm guards. Every lukewarm review out there listened to it like this; the diaphragm guards ended up muffling the...