Posts by colgatetotal

2dB is noticeable. Also, there actually is driver variance because it's known that Koss sources multiple companies for Portapro production. That's why packaging is vastly different even between models for the same country. It's also why there's a bunch of bootleg Portapros running around. I can go to five places in my city and come up with five Portapros, all in different packaging, despite the vendors claiming that they're recent stock. There are also KSC75s with and...
Two Two words: sample size. Can't trust those measurements if they're only gonna measure 1 driver pair. My KSC35 driver is definitely bassier than the KSC75 driver with the same clips. I did do that. I still think the SR225i is slightly better, though admittedly you basically pay more than double the price for the small improvement.
  Simple but effective. I feel the KSC35 clips are superior. They have a tighter fit and weigh less than the KSC75 clips. However, the only way to get them now is to buy a KSC35 from koss.com for $45. The KSC35 drivers have a slightly smeary midrange, but the KSC75 drivers don't. The KSC75 drivers have notably less bass but +4 bass on the FiiO E17 fixes that. Now I have the best of both worlds  :D   This combination (KSC75 w/KSC35 clips, FiiO E17 +4 bass) is...
The XB700 MSRP was $130. $380 is price gouging, don't do it. But it shows how good the headphone is if people are willing to pay that much. Shop around or get it used.
 225e. Going from pads to bowls makes all the difference. You can get the 60e + bowls, but the 225e driver is tuned for a bit of extra bass to compensate for the bass leakage with the bowls. At least, that was the case with the 60i + bowls I tried.
I know they're discontinued, but the Sony XB500/700/1000 were fantastic hip-hop headphones. They are technically open (the vent is almost hidden), but if you can snag one you'll be happy. The current Sony headphones are a disappointment compared to the old XB series. The XB1000 has the deepest bass I've ever heard from a headphone not made by Audeze.   XB1000 isn't bang-for-buck, since they had a VERY limited release (you will NOT get one for under $500 new), but the...
 Could you take a picture of the old and new G-cush side by side for comparison?
SR225e is bang-for-buck. I don't like the SR325e too much; you may as well move up to the PS500e if you want a metal can.
 I highly doubt that. The SR60i has about 550 customer reviews on Amazon, and the SR80i has almost 700. The SR325is has about 115. I'd think the SR80i/SR80e is the top-selling model: many people psychologically don't desire the lowest-end model, and the $20 upgrade from the SR60i to the SR80i isn't much.
Finally got to demo the PS500e at the audio shop for two hours. Wow. I remembered the PS500 being a tick too bassy. The PS500e on the other hand was fantastic. Because it's not a U-shaped frequency response like the Prestige Series line, you can crank up the volume and hear that beautiful midrange. I liked it better than the *gasp* HD800 which was right next to it. They also had the SR325e but it wasn't much of a match against the PS500e.   Still need to demo the RS1e...