Posts by estreeter

Please don't ask for percentages - it's all subjective and it comes down to your musical preferences and the way you perceive differences. Unless we are talking measurements, I just don't believe that percentages apply in this hobby - I'm also not a fan of the star system used by several magazines. I've already given my impression of the difference it makes to the sound signature of the HD800 - again, totally subjective and several here disagree completely. Unfortunately...
 I believe your thinking is at least 3 years out of date. Several very good dedicated music servers available now - including DiY designs - that most definitely are not 'jacks of all trades'. Fanless, solid-state hard drives, purpose-built USB cards and software that gets better every year - with UPnP I can have my Oppo BDP-105 serving up everything from 256K iTunes downloads thru CD rips to DSD128 downloads, all without a single PC or hard drive in the listening...
 Are we talking 'a really good sub-2k transport' or one of the mega-dollar transports from Esoteric / Simaudio Moon etc ? This isnt an idle query - I just plonked down 2.5K USD on a 35lb dinosaur because it happens to have the DAC I want, digital inputs and outputs and an SACD transport that seems to be well regarded among the disc spinning fraternity. Like vinyl vs CD, it's a completely unwinnable debate but I need to settle the issue for myself before throwing the baby...
 Sorry - I only have the nano but I can tell you that the little guy isnt short of power. The X isnt a particularly hard to drive headphone, but I never get any sense that the nano is struggling to drive any of my cans via an adapter. The nano is definitely one of the best BFYB values in personal audio today IMO. 
OK - thanks for the info. Looks like everyone can now get Wyrd and Fulla Schiit - I know, it's getting old, but I thought I'd go there before someone else does. I actually thought Jason and Mike might launch Yggy/Rag under a different banner now that Schiit is firmly established - if their marketing is accurate, these will be the TOTL Schiit for a long time to come. 
Not sure if any discussion of DRM is relevant in this thread, but surely DSD over SPDIF is exactly what Sony worked so hard to stop from the day they got together with Philips to create the SACD format ? ted_b probably knows more about this than anyone on HF but I got the distinct impression that the PS3 'hack' was borderline illegal - happy to hear otherwise. In any case, at 650 EUR over the cost of a 103, Vanity can keep their mod.    Despite the fact that I now own...
 My mistake - their order page now has more options in the dropdown but it was limited to a single setting for months. Can I ask when you bought your Wyrd ?
The Wyrd is only offered to Schiit's customers with 110V wall sockets - I use the iUSBPower and the iPurifier to clean up my USB signal and I'm very happy with the combination, but I agree that there is something about using a wallwart to improve the sound of audio components that just seems odd. Still, if it works do it and if it doesnt write a rave review then post an ad in the FS section  
If you were wowed by the Stereophile review of the NA-11S1 but just dont have that kind of cash lying around, expect this player to be somewhere in the 500-600 USD range in North America, At the risk of blowing my old mate Ned's cover, this is all I know atm -    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/marantz-sneaking-out-na6005-under-cover-darkness-22096/#post359718   Because I know a thread is useless without pics to salivate...
More than a little down this morning here in Thailand - had an absolute blinder last night but it would seem that I've lost the one pair of expensive IEMs that really did it for me (my Shures have been a major disappointment from day one, but the Westones were great). Given the relative ease with which a pair of IEMs can disappear - and sadly theft is part of the equation - I'm wondering how others have fared in this department. One thing to wake up with a hangover and a...