or Connect

Posts by estreeter

On balance, I prefer what I hear from Android and Windows than the results I've had with Linux, but as I've stated earlier the only playback software that consistently wows me is JRMC and Roon, both of which use a client/server model even when both are deployed on the same device. I only have the trial versions of UaPP, HF Player and Neutron so I may not be the best judge, but none of them even begin to approach Roon's sound quality with the DFB. If I can just work out...
 I appreciate the courage you've shown in being willing to address a critique publicly, but I've always found your reviews tough going. I have no problem with critical reviews - especially with FOTM gear that no-one else seems willing to criticise - I just find it odd that you seem willing to rip into gear that doesnt conform to your own sonic preferences. If there's one thing that sets the pro reviewers apart from the average joe, surely its the ability to set their own...
 I assume you weren't here for the extensive rants from  @purrin , @Baldr and others re the utter superiority of multibit DACs over delta-sigma designs ? Probably best to cut to the chase and read a few Yggy impressions from other Head-Fiers - this thread is only 197 pages long. I think the first thread was somewhere in excess of 500 pages before the Yggy even made it into a FedEx truck. http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread If you want...
A month in and I'm enjoying my DFB immensely - about the only negative I can list is the absence of an external analog volume control, and that would look decidedly odd given the form factor. Others see the darker, relatively lush sound signature as a negative, but from my POV its just what the doctor ordered, particularly with modern recordings.   AQ clearly hit it out of the park releasing two affordable DACs instead of one at ~$300 (which seems to be the preferred...
I dont care what Mike or Jason are calling it - to me it's 'Moby'. The other names are silly enough - it doesnt need an 'm' for people to what people are referring to.
 I take your point, but USB Audio on Android isnt something you'd want to be staking your DAC's future sales on Jason .....  the horror, the sheer unmitigated horror 
Excellent - I can finally offload this Berkeley Alpha onto some unsuspecting chump Head-Fier and get me some of that Schiit goodness for myself. People are finally gonna start taking me seriously around here.     I hope the Moby comes in Lime Green - that would be sweet.
 Seems to be a few who consider them 'fatiguing' for nearfield use, but I guess that's something you can only find out for yourself in your room with your music On balance, we have some very delicate flowers, but there's no getting around the reality that a lot of modern recordings dont hold up well when they have a brighter light held up to them. I still consider the HD800 the best headphone I've ever owned, but for many they were more forensic tool than headphone -...
Given the money Sweetwater and others have on some very good active monitors from establshed speaker manufacturers, I'm not sure who would be willing to lay down 500USD for this package, sub or no. For those who dont want to go down that road, Bluetooth speakers are getting better every month. I wasnt super impressed with the JBL Extreme in the barn-like expanse of the only retailer who stocks it here, but Tyll's review of the Riva Turbo X points to big things from a small...
 Our auditory memory is rated at somewhere around 8 minutes, but I'd rate the EPH-100 above the 5.00G for overall fun factor based purely on what I can recollect of my time with them. Sadly, a driver failed and I didnt find that long barrell housing especially comfortable. I'm enjoying the 5.00G but I dont want to post any sonic impressions until I've put in sufficient hours with them to give some reasonable comparisons with my modest collection of cans - I doubt that...