Posts by estreeter

Good points - most here readily admit that we will spend increasingly large amounts of money in search of 'that last 10 per cent', when what we are really hoping for is something like the first 'hit' we got from a source (or headphones) that was clearly a big step up from what we had before. I'm still searching for the 24/96 album download that really blows my mind - somehow I think I'm going to be listening primarily to Redbook and 256K AAC for the rest of my life, but...
 I've just added a few components to my rig for reasons that I will go into at some length at a later date, but as soon as I saw the iDSD had coax-out I knew I had to have it, particularly as USB-B-to-micro adapters arent particularly common in this neck of the woods. Throw in the fact that I get to assess the iDSD's worth as a USB-SPDIF converter (with and without the upstream links in the chain), I've almost forgiven iFi for making a USB cable which seems to have been...
 Hook one up to the PHA-2 using the supplied digital cable and get back to me on that  ;)
 That strikes me as an expensive exercise but I look forward to your impressions. Personally, I have no problem with either of my 'bricks' - iPod Classic w/ADL X1 or ZX1/PHA-2 - but its Android on the Sony and the easy to use buttons on the side of the ZX1 that wins me over. Of all the headphone amps I've owned, the PHA-2 looks and feels like it means business and I'm very happy with the combination.
 About a hundred or so pages back in this thread there are photos of the 'mod' for the AQ cables, but its not pretty. My GF and I had a fun time with an electric drill and a set of small grinding attachments but I gave up when it became obvious that we were in more danger of either damaging the gold connector or ourselves than we were of actually removing enough material from the shroud around the USB connector. I suspect that we need a Dremel tool but I'm not going to buy...
 Currently using Sony's imaginatively titled 'Hi-Res Audio Player' application on my Win8.1 laptop and it gives me the choice between Native DSD and DoP but the latter seems to be greyed out - no desire to transfer the monster DSD files to the ZX1 though. My understanding is that the PHA-2 will handle DSD64 and DSD128 but to date I'm just not seeing album downloads of the latter from any of the artists I know and love. I have a couple of the DSD samples from 2L and it's...
 On the surface of it they dont seem overly 'sensitive' to me. The fleawatt tube amp guys run with 8-ohm speakers rated at over 100dB - yours sound like a total bitch to amp - Rob can undoubtedly advise you further. 
Agreed - the bass being injected into my head by the Hugo/Taurus/X1 combination as I type this is outstanding. I may not need the Taurus with these cans, but you know what they say about power corrupting even the most well-intentioned ;)
F-four hour commute a day ? Dude, that's Tokyo - I feel for you, speedracer1. I used to get ticked off with an hour each way in Sydney and Brisbane, but I knew there were people who were forced to go further - 2 hours would still be considered a killer commute in Oz. I'm retired now 
 1. Do you have the unit with the Euro volume limitation ?2. What 'phones are you using ?  I admit that I enjoy the extra power I get with my PHA-2 hooked to the ZX1, but the exponential drain on both batteries is annoying. I also have an iPod Classic chained to the ADL X1 and neither source nor DAC/amp exhibit the same symptoms, but its clear from the heft of the PHA-2 that Sony got serious with their latest portable amp - I just wish they'd spent a little more time on...