Posts by estreeter

I wish I had the M8 - so versatile - but I chose the ADL X1 despite some very negative posts about it on HF and I havent regretted that decision. HFN did a comparative review at around the same time and the M8 was included: http://www.soundfowndations.co.uk/reviews/HFN_Furatech%20ADL%20X1.pdf One man's opinion and I'm not here to argue that the ADL DAC is in any way superior to the M8 or anything else - it just sounds very, very good to my ears, particularly as a USB DAC,...
Currently listening to a few tunes from nothing more exotic than an iPod Classic hooked up to my ADL X1 and the LCD-X is exhibiting no sibilance that I can detect. I'll admit that some of us are more sensitive to certain frequency extremes than others, but it's interesting that some of the 'Grado effect' seems to be creeping in here. It goes something like this:   - put on a pair of Grados with no particular expectations - halfway through the first tune you're thinking...
Any chance of steering this thread back to the LCD-X folks ? There is an extensive Stax thread here:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii   Thanks in advance. 
FWIR, it would seem that DSD128 does have potential merit as that's the point where the engineers were able to overcome the distortion issues - it's also the point where file sizes are absolutely huge - over twice the size of DSD64 files if these samples are any guide:   http://www.2l.no/hires/   Michael Lavorgna makes some very big claims re DSD128 in his comparison between different...
Al, thanks so much for that Stereophile link. This from the man behind the download site in question:   “The key to making this thing fly is making it easy. We want to bring together the highest quality and ease of use. The customers pick what they want. The only reason we’ve hung our hat on DSD is because no one else was doing it and people were asking for it. We’ve had some customers ask us about ‘Double DSD.’ What I want people to understand is that the recording and...
 Sweet Jesus Al - really ?? You should have your own section here - 'Totally OTT-Fi' ....  If Jay Leno ever decided to start collecting gear instead of cars I'm sure he'd ring you first  ;)
 If you knew the history you would know that this section of the forum was here well before the CIEM phenomenon took hold. Back when it was the Benchmark DAC1 and HD650s vs Grace M902 and K701 - those were the days, people ! As for your comment re Summit-Fi clusterfugging the entire forum, I see it the other way around and I'm a long way from being an elitist audiophile. A very long way  :)
 That only makes sense if you enjoy sitting on a bus for 8-10 hours or your boss is happy for you to travel by boat the next time he needs you in Europe. I have no fear of flying whatsoever, but I loathe sitting in that seat for hours at a time, not to mention the drudgery at the airport - I realise you were trying to illustrate a point, but it was a poor choice IMO. Contrarian enough for ya ?  ;)
 The horror, the horror ...... Al, I'm not going to start a class war tonight (Thailand time) - let's pick this up tomorrow, shall we ? 
 You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill. Where's Col Kurtz when we really need him ?