Posts by estreeter

Gwntlemen, a plea - let's spare a thought for those who :   A. dont have English as their first language B. take everything typed on Head-Fi seriously and analyse it mercilessly C. may not share your grade school sensibilities   Thank you. 
I agree that the Hugo is more forward than bright - if you want bright, buy a CA CDP and we'll compare notes :)   One of the most consistent observations made on the Amazon customer reviews for the 2014 Springsteen remasters is that 'this is one case where brighter is a good thing' and I absolutely agree - we need to stop automatically associating the term with shrill or edgy sound : if that's the way it was recorded, bright gear will definitely bring that out. I find a...
 I own the 105D - your only choices for outputting audio from the Oppo to the Hugo are optical and coaxial - it's not a computer in the sense that your laptop is. I dont think I've ever hooked the Hugo up to my Oppo but I have hooked the Hugo up to my Marantz SA-14S1 via coax and optical - of the two, i prefer the coax connection for the reasons outlined in the two or three posts above. I consider the DACs in the Oppo to be more than capable of rendering any BD audio I...
As Ted Nugent used to say, looks like we got a lotta Michiganiacs here tonight.  HemiSam and Tony from Michigan, I'm more than happy to bench race with both of you, and purrin seems to have watched one too many eps of Monster Garage, but I didnt see anything particularly personal in Arnaud's comments. About the only comment I would make is that some of us may have been better served spending 10K once than >2K 5 times (and counting) ....    For me, it's never been about...
 I could be wrong here, but I dont think his intention was ever to evaluate every high-end DAC on the planet and his last post made it pretty clear that he's lost interest in any further comparisons. As always I'm happy to hear otherwise. 
 Just to clear that up once and for all, the Japanese product page makes it very clear that it's the B-B chip. Any Marantz site that is continuing to list the chip as the CS4398 is staffed by lazy copy-and-paste marketing types who need to ask themselves if high-end audio is really their passion or just a day job.  http://www.marantz.jp/jp/14s1/sa_14s1_01.html The google translation of that page, as per most attempts at automatic translation, leaves a lot to be desired but...
Flux capacitors ? The Brits has a functioning time machine in 1960 and it's still going strong today. When was the last time you saw a DeLorean ?    
 I suspect that you may be in the wrong thread for those two DACs, but I would be interested in hearing purrin's opinion of the totaldac and the phasure nos-1a, assuming he's heard them. 
Awesome feedback, appleheadmay - I share your high opinion of the last KI Pearl series and kick myself for not buying one when they were still available at my local dealer. At the time I considered them expensive but it's interesting how you come re-evaluate those opinions over time - add the collector value and I think it was a good deal.