Posts by estreeter

Just to clear that up once and for all, the Japanese product page makes it very clear that it's the B-B chip. Any Marantz site that is continuing to list the chip as the CS4398 is staffed by lazy copy-and-paste marketing types who need to ask themselves if high-end audio is really their passion or just a day job.  http://www.marantz.jp/jp/14s1/sa_14s1_01.html The google translation of that page, as per most attempts at automatic translation, leaves a lot to be desired but...
Flux capacitors ? The Brits has a functioning time machine in 1960 and it's still going strong today. When was the last time you saw a DeLorean ?    
 I suspect that you may be in the wrong thread for those two DACs, but I would be interested in hearing purrin's opinion of the totaldac and the phasure nos-1a, assuming he's heard them. 
Awesome feedback, appleheadmay - I share your high opinion of the last KI Pearl series and kick myself for not buying one when they were still available at my local dealer. At the time I considered them expensive but it's interesting how you come re-evaluate those opinions over time - add the collector value and I think it was a good deal. 
The headphone out on the 14S1 is much better than that on my PM6004 - as it should be given the price differential - but neither is a patch on my Taurus. Folk just need to be realistic - they see 'dedicated headphone amp' in the marketing and think it will be as good as a standalone amp like the Taurus - IME, that simply isnt the case.    As for the comparision with the 105D, I just cant fault Oppo for jamming so much functionality into a single player even if I do give...
  Tony, I'm wondering if you may have missed the part where purrin added the two vintage R2R DACs and ruled a line straight through everything else below them ? Perhaps I took this too literally - bolding is mine : October 24, 2014 Update:The two DACs in Class E can no longer be obtained. They are superior to all other DACs on this list. Like far superior. So much superior that I wouldn't bother with anything in the classes below. The unfortunate thing is that they are no...
 I'm in the 'Puzteys is a genius and he's already proved his critics wrong' camp, but Mike has made his thoughts on DSD abundantly clear and I completely agree that it's as much about the lack of genuine 'native DSD' recordings by anyone you'd ever previously heard of as any technical objections to the format.  The 'if you build it, they will come' ethos begins to look more like a tail wagging a dog - without the recording industry getting behind DSD I just dont see how it...
We're in a thread where at least one MoT doesn't know the difference between 'taught' and 'taut' and I'm getting a lecture on the importance of proof-reading ? Topic, people - thank you. 
Can someone pls remind me - how many were fortunate enough to get one of the R'ok beta units ? I agree that 1500USD isnt chump change but I got the impression that the beta units disappeared very quickly. 
 The best post in the last two pages of this thread - amen to that.