Posts by estreeter

If Schiit can ship Yggy for less than 3K USD, I'll take my hat off to them. I know that's higher than the initial projection, but I guess we'll know in a few months. 
I see the whole sigma-delta thing as no different to the fact that the music industry took us from vinyl to CD to digital downloads - it would all be 128K MP3s if the suits had their way. What is surprising is the fact that even the boutique operations which have persisted with SACD players don't seem to have skipped a beat when the R2R DACs were replaced by TI and Philips. I guess they were forced to make do with whatever came down the pike, but allow me a small...
   No - it's not a 2-box solution, although I'm sure some here would definitely go for a dCS-style stack - I just couldn't see Jason and Mike doing that to us, 
 I don't find it hard to believe - Marantz have been building disc spinners for a long time and I'd imagine their engineers picked up a thing or two back in the Philips era - easy to forget how much work Philips put into the humble CDP. Lampi's site isn't going to win any design awards but if purrin is convinced that the best DAC technology was left back in the 90s, this isn't completely OT...
 Nothing wrong with that chip, but it's more about implementation than silicon in most instances. The dac chip has to give the designers what they need to get the result they're looking for, but you will often find that a given chip/transport has been used across several very different CD players/DACs - the devil is often in the details. Marantz has relied on another Cirrus chip, the cs4398, for almost all it's sources from the CD6005 to the new network player, the NA8005,...
 Makes me even happier that I caved and bought the Marantz - I just don't have that kind of patience  :D
I've momentarily lost all interest in the Hugo - words like 'fankle' tell me i may be in way over my head here  :D
Happily, the bar staff had my Westones when I went back, but I think I'll stick with the cheaper Yamaha IEMs for everything outside my front door. 
 Please don't ask for percentages - it's all subjective and it comes down to your musical preferences and the way you perceive differences. Unless we are talking measurements, I just don't believe that percentages apply in this hobby - I'm also not a fan of the star system used by several magazines. I've already given my impression of the difference it makes to the sound signature of the HD800 - again, totally subjective and several here disagree completely. Unfortunately...
 I believe your thinking is at least 3 years out of date. Several very good dedicated music servers available now - including DiY designs - that most definitely are not 'jacks of all trades'. Fanless, solid-state hard drives, purpose-built USB cards and software that gets better every year - with UPnP I can have my Oppo BDP-105 serving up everything from 256K iTunes downloads thru CD rips to DSD128 downloads, all without a single PC or hard drive in the listening...