Posts by estreeter

So few ? Maybe under a certain sticker, but by the time you get up around the 2500 USD mark things get very crowded. I have more expensive DACs than this but it makes a lot of sense with my laptop and its under 200USD -  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/ Not a desktop product and probably not what we're discussing here, but still an option for those without a lot of money to spend, as is the Schiit Modi/Magni combo per Purrin's recommendation. It's not that...
ClieOS, as I said I'm off to spend 3 nights on an island - think ~25deg C and all the time I need to really sit down with each of these options and make a decision. My partner in crime has zero interest in audio beyond a few pop tunes and traditional Thai music, but she's a beach person and I'm not : perfect  :D
 Where are you getting your info ? My understanding is that it IS tied to advertising in the magazines, but several print magazines have reviewed the Bifrost with no apparent revenue from Schiit. From memory, you WILL find banner ads for Schiit on 6Moons and Darko's site - no idea what that costs, but it all feeds back into Schiit's costs. Not sure when the beta ended for the Rag, but there's usually at least 3 months between a product becoming available and a 'pro' review...
 It's more expensive to play on the bleeding edge than it was when I joined, but generally speaking headphones remain at the shallow end of this insane hobby. Even at 5K+ for the Abyss or the Stax flagship, you're still in territory that would be considered 'midrange' in the speaker universe. The big difference is that very few guys buy 10 pairs of speakers and update one or more every time a new model or revision is added to the favorite speaker line, even if some of the...
Guys, just thought I'd put this out there after roughly 8 months with each of the following -    - iDSD nano - Chord Hugo - Sony ZX1 + PHA-2 - Furutech ADL X1 w/iPod Classic (last of the 2010 models, purchased new in 2014)   I have a selection of desktop gear too, but in terms of the gear that I can throw in a satchel and take wherever I want, that's it. I also use the nano as a USB-SPDIF converter into my desktop DACs, but it mainly sees laptop duty when I cant be...
 Thank you. Mike is typically blunt on this but it doesnt seem like a religious issue for him one way or the other - if anything, he wants to steamroll the religious aspect and simply leave his gear on 24/7. I know Schiit amps have a reputation for running hot under load, but its clear that the designer doesnt have a problem with amps remaining on when they arent being fed a signal. Those who live in exceptionally warm climates - and Thailand definitely qualifies from Feb...
 Completely disagree, but like burn-in you'll never get people to agree re the difference - in short, if I believe it makes a difference I'll do it. As for your other claim, no-one in their right mind would ever buy anything more than a month old if they suspsected that leaving a source component plugged in and turned on (as opposed to playing music) would shorten its lifespan. If it's generating no heat and nothing is moving inside, I just dont see how its speeding...
My Marantz SA-14S1 is on all the time and - to my ears anyway - sounds better as a result, but everything else is either off or on standby power. I just dont see the point with an amplifier, but the Marantz appears to generate little or no heat at 'idle'. 
 Define 'bad'. I've never had an issue with it, but my expectations have never been high for Bluetooth anyway, Even the kids who expect technology to be seamless here in Thailand smile when I stream the music from their phone into the Hugo with minimal effort - the smiles only disappear when I tell them what the thing cost. 
  I seem to recall that there was much gnashing of teeth on both the Linn and Naim forums when the Hugo was released, but seriously - better than a Klimax D$ ? I know sticker price is no guarantee of a performance increment, but that is one very highly regarded piece of kit. The best DAC I've heard to date is the Weiss DAC202 via Firewire (effortless in a manner that the Hugo just cant match) but even the sticker on that doesnt compare to the Linn flagship. Clarification...