Posts by samsquanch

A bit off topic, but this seems like a decent thread to ask in.   I have the chance to buy 2 Numark TT1625 turntables and a DM950 dj mixer for around $150.  I'd be strictly using them for djing, not scratching and all that, just playing records at local bars.  I have no familiarity with Numark, and the reviews I've read seem to be coming from people using them for scratching and beat making, most of them seem to call them beginner decks for that sort of...
  Oh deary me....  I just looked at that ebay auction, and I don't know if you read it or not, but, well, it's "ONLY FOR PROFESSIONALS".  Looks like you'll have to use a transformer, unless you have the proper forms that state you are indeed a professional.  People really seem to have it out for DIYer's these days!
I'm a fan of Jensen Transformers, but that might just be because I've worked with them more than any other company, it's funny how we form favoritism like that...   http://www.jensen-transformers.com/ln_in.html   If you scroll down that page you'll see 4:1 step down transformers, they're about $100 each, which should be no issue for someone with the middle name of "Overkill."   Also, transformers, unlike opamps, require no power, so you can impress all your...
  yeah, I've got the 7"s plus the banned art work one...  The "bird" was doing album reviews for decibel for a while, might still be...
  Why not just use a transformer for your unbalanced inputs?  1:1 or even 1:2 (will help level balance between balanced and unbalanced channels) is easily found.
Only thing I'd say about the knock off is maybe not use the sl1200 specific gauge, and use a generic version (also on that page), just in case the arm isn't exactly the same.
My Denon DL110 cart sticks out on my sl1200mkII as well, it's about where you want it according to Baerwald method.  I just set up two different cartridges on mine this weekend, I used the alignment chart from Vinyl Engine, you can print these out, you have to make an account is the only draw back, but it is free, so that's cheap enough.   http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml   They have one specifically for 12/13/14/15/16xx series...
    Ok, it's kind of moot at this point, since I'm selling my old table to a friend who doesn't have a cartridge, so I'm putting the grado on that.  I'll save up some money and possibly buy a gold 1 this summer.  Thanks for the heads up!
Today I got my christmas present to myself...       Technics SL-1200 mk 2   I got it for $200 from a local record shop, being friends with the owner has its benefits!   I need to do some work to it, but that's part of it being cheap.  On the list: -Dust cover and Hinges -Adjust pitch, spins to slow at +0 -Replace +0 pitch led -Rewire the signal cables to the circuit board, the cable broke, and whoever "fixed" them did a sloppy job, there's a...
I always felt these guys were overlooked in the early 2000's, members of Buzzov-en, Grimple, and Word Salad.  A little too produced for my tastes, but I'm able to get past that with these guys, really rippin mix of old and new styles.