Posts by peppe

Jds's pcb will probably be better long term vs a breadboard, but you won't learn as much.    
I wouldn't expect it to be cheaper or if it is it probably won't be worth the hassle.   Check Farnell, i believe they are the equivalent to mouser/digikey in the US.   Maybe avoiding taxes will make it worth it.
I would say don't overthink it.   Common recommendations for a first amp is a cmoy.  If you don't burn your house down making that, then you have a lot of choices in the $100-300 range.  Most established designs have a lot of X vs Y comparisons available of people comparing them.   Everyones setups are different, so it is hard to distill it, but read enough reviews on an amp and some common threads emerge.   When I was doing my search for a first build I ended up on a...
  There may also be the Objective Desktop Amp (ODA) from the O2 developer.  It has has similar goals as the O2 without the battery/portability requirement.  Something to keep your eye on...
I think you are talking about Sennheiser plugs.    There may be 1-2 sources for plugs, but this is the only one I can find at the moment: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=oem&pagestring2=Headphone%20Connectors&pagestring=Headphone%20Connectors+%28closeup%29&content_id=33&part_id=178. Cardas HPSC   I don't know of any sources for jacks, although I have seen it recommended to salvage them from broken Sennheisers that feature a detachable cable.    Don't...
  I think this area is called chipamps / gainclones.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainclone.  I thought those were mostly speaker amplifiers.   I don't know if National makes a chipamp specifically for headphones, but I recall seeing some threads on using the  LM1875 or LM3875 by reducing the gain and adding series resistors to the output.   Unless you know what you are doing you will probably want to look at what others have successfully implemented and tweak...
  Are you looking at full amps or just opamp chips to build your own amp around?   Maybe link to what you are looking at you will get some feedback in that arena.    Typically in headphones lower impedance requires more current to drive, while higher impedance responds to higher voltage.  I haven't looked at opamp circuits much, but I believe you can serve both headphone types with a buffer, so the opamp drives the buffer and the buffer drives the...
I believe beezar.com is the only distributor of the PCB's.   http://beezar.com/oscommerce2/catalog/index.php?cPath=25
I don't see markings on your individual cables you sure you have it wired the same internally on both end?  Maybe you mixed up the right channel and ground on one end?   Do you have a multimeter to check the connection?  You should get 0 resistance from tip to tip, ring 1 to ring 1 and sleeve to sleeve.  Ring 1 is the right channel, so focus there.  It should get infinite resistance if you cross any of those, so touching tip to sleeve should be infinite.   If say you...
  Sounds odd.   Try the normal things:   Rotate the transformer.   Check the grounding, including the pot.    If nothing else works you might need a ground loop breaker.