Posts by JxK

No, if you're using a good and proper amp, they should not hiss. In fact, even before amplification, the primary purpose of an amp is to clean up the signal. That means it should clean up background hiss or bass rolloff with low impedance IEMs, fix the lack of volume or dynamics with overly high impedance IEMs, et cetera. Only after that comes the amplification. Now, whether your phones actually benefit to any degree from amplification is a different matter, not all do....
I'm not a fan of the ety sound, but their build quality is very good. There are always lemons, but at least historically, etymotic earphones are known to last. Plus the company has a good warranty, and stands behind its products. Can't compare them to the p5 however, as I haven't heard it.
You're comparing two polar opposites here. The se215 is going to be warm, bassy, and have rolled off highs. The hf5 is cold, clinical, and sports a hyper-forward and extended treble. It's very much an apples and oranges type of difference.
Joker, I've been thinking about what IEM to upgrade to for a bit after deciding the pr401 wasn't dynamic enough for me, at least at low volume. Anyway, I thought about getting the new atrios with the mg7 driver, but came to the conclusion that if I want a warmer and bassier sound, I always have my m50s at home.   So I decided that for the sake of variety I'd get something with a different sound signature for use on the go (or at home when I'm not in the mood for the...
IEMs only when out and about. Honestly, I don't understand the logic behind attempting to use fullsize headphones on the go. They are large, heavy, and awkward. They have thick, overly long and heavy cords. They get in the way when you try and move around. And the open ones don't attenuate any noise whatsoever.   In short, fullsize headphones are everything portable headphones should not be. I'm amazed you guys can actually enjoy the music with all of the above...
Thanks for the review ClieOS.  A question though.  If you compare the coppers to the atrio, how do they differ? I'm guessing atrio has stronger bass, less forward mids, and more relaxed treble. Is that right? And what about soundstage and "airiness"?
Yes, what you wrote is usually true. The problem is that fullsize headphones are big and heavy, so you typically have to be stationary to use them. Plus the best ones tend to be open, meaning you get no noise attenuation and leak music into your surroundings. Earphones are popular simply because they can be used on the go. Are they as good as fullsize offerings at the same pricepoint? No, not typically. But again, you can't use your large, heavy, open sennheiser hd650s...
x2. It's common sense really. Sacrifices have to be made in order to make the earphone portable, and capable of being powered by a portable source. The general rule of thumb is speakers (least portable) > headphones (somewhat transportable) > earphones (most portable). Not that there isn't any vacillating between the lines, but on the whole it is what one can expect.   It's all give and take. You take what you want and pay for it. Now, what are your needs, and how do...
If you want a chin slider, consider just using an O-ring, or maybe a small rubber band or washer. For instance, try this link. http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=cbpb26  
From the tone of the review, is it safe to assume that the kozee e300 represents the better value?