Posts by JxK

By on-ear, I'm assuming you mean supra-aural earphones (those resting on the ears) and not circumaural (around the ear). Correct? And as far as good on-ear phones are concerned, I can't think of better than the sennheiser px200-ii. It offers good sound for the money, good isolation for a supra-aural headphone, and is both comfortable and very sturdily built. The px200-ii also sells for $85 nowadays, which happily puts it well below your maximum budget.   That said,...
Ah, local stores that sell IEMs. In my area of the world, that is a pipe dream at best. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to have a local store nearby like the so called "headphone heaven" in Hong Kong. And the ability to audition (!) IEMs on the premises...maybe it's time to plan a vacation in the Orient.
Sold!
bump.
Bored, pfft. It's time you pick up a good book. There's always something interesting to read out there. Turn on some music, grab a book, and enjoy. :)   Just be like the picture. 
For sporty headphones that don't isolate and are supremely comfortable, I heartily recommend the sennheiser px100. I've tried both the older model and the new px100-ii and recommend the original version. Sound quality is virtually the same between the two. The px100-ii has better build quality (not that the original is poorly built by any means), but it sacrifices some comfort for it. And it's considerably more expensive.
I'm selling my recently purchased Phonak PFE. The reason behind the sale is simply because their particular sound signature ended up being not for me. They are in great condition, being used only on a couple of flights. The earphones come with all accessories except for the included comply tips, which I used on the airplanes in order to better block engine noise.  My recent feedback is by my username, and my older headfi feedback is linked in my signature.   I've...
Remember, however, that part of the px200-ii's appeal lies with its ultra-portability. You can literally fold it up and stick it into a trouser pocket. The above headphones are all much larger and require a dedicated bag/case for traveling. So they're targeted at different demographics. Think about what your needs and listening habits are, and choose accordingly.  
To me, timbre is better defined by all the various qualities of sound excluding frequency response. It allows you to differentiate different instruments. So for instance, if you have a violin and a cello play the exact same note, you'd be able to tell the two apart. Moreover, if timbre is good  you'd be able to hear said instrument by itself and immediately identify it without comparison. IEMs and headphones handle timbre to varying degrees of proficiency, though at the...
For your tastes, consider the Westone AC2.