Posts by GuyDebord

You are truly great!  still smells like gas though...
And after more than a year, the thread rises from the dead, its alive! Things do come back to hunt and remind us... Once the untouchable was the hd800 and now the LCD2, when will we learn.... fad is what Freud taught us more than a century ago, it is what controls the masses.  
  Yes like this review thread I started against the hd800's when they were the untouchable hype http://www.head-fi.org/t/441430/a-twisted-review-hd800s-calculative-clinical-and-sterile-soul it got locked just after 13 pages! people can get madly defensive here, they need to justify their expense somehow...  I've heard the lcd2's several times and never been impressed, there I said it.    
Denons dont isolate! independently of producing some of the most colored and funny sounding cans in the industry (IMO), they are not what you say you need. Yes, imo T5p's are the best closed "portable" cans in production, be advised that they are on the neutral side, which is my preference, if you like bass emphasis I suggest you stay with the t70p's.   
For your budget and kind of music, look at the Beyerdynamic T70p, I believe your best choice. If you want something more portable and are willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of sound quality, the Beyerdynamic DT1350's would do the trick. The 770's are old by todays standards. Not only my opinion, but both of these cans are highly rated in Headfi. Stay away from the Denons as they leak sound and are terribly colored.
And this statement comes from one that owns the Denon D2000's and the AKG Q701's, LOL, head-fi can be fun. Not beer, I'm having a glass of Bordeaux...  
Svyr, I own two STAX (4070 and 007) and I'm seriously considering splurging for the 009's. They are undoubtedly my preferred headphones and nothing I have heard comes close to them. However, I travel quite a lot, to the point I listen more with my portable set than with my home hi-fi or my office STAX setup. I wish that my staxen could be portable, but they are not, I even bought 001's and got the amp ultra-fat catted but they couldn't live up to the type of portability...
This is my ranking of closed "portable" cans. My preference is towards neutral cans, those that prefer colored or bass heavy cans might disagree...   1. Beyerdynamic T5p 2. Shure SRH-940 3. Beyerdynamic T70p 4. Ultrasone Edition 8 5. Beyerdynamic DT-1350 6. Sony Z1000 7. Audio Technica ESW-10  
  Two very good arguments for keeping my CLAS...  
Quote: This thing with battery life is what puts me off too, it wouldn't even last a short trans-continental flight. After a lot of thinking, I decided to keep the CLAS until some other new model comes out. The CLAS gives me sufficient battery life (just barely) and with my arrow amp the bulk isn't that bad. Did I mention that the sound coming out of my portable rig is jaw-dropping? In all my years playing with portable headphone equipment, nothing, nothing has made such...