Posts by threewire

Quote: Originally Posted by spanimal Is it not PLAUSIBLE that someone out there can distinguish between analogue and even digital cables - even if I couldn't or the science indicates that is unlikely. I mean there are individuals out there with some extraordinary capabilities - the Guiness Book of Records have numerous individuals that can achieve what is commonly known as unachievable - I mean c'mon man. I believe the human mind and senses are FAR more...
Quote: Originally Posted by Uncle Erik You misunderstand science. Science is a tool, not dogma. If there is something unknown, then you make a hypothesis and test it. Sometimes, new means of testing have to be developed to prove a point. Hell, the oscilloscope came from somewhere. Someone developed it because it was necessary to show waveforms. Likewise, if you think there's a difference in cables, then the burden is on YOU to develop a means -...
Nice. I'd second the part about not forgetting to listen for fun. I think sometimes I spend too much time listening to the system and not enough to the music. Reminds me of G. Gordon Holt's "hackles" test. The only real test of a system in the final analysis is whether it gets you off. Great advice!
I completely agree Roger. And you're very right about the devolution of such debates into a binary state (cables are nothing/everything). But I think often people trying to dispel marketing hype throw the baby out with the bath-water. That's all I was arguing against. After all, the cynic who rejects everything is no more selective than someone who accepts everything.
I understand the claim that factors unrelated to the performance of a piece of audio equipment (like price, prestige factors, appearance) influence a person's opinion of sound. I do not see how it follows that all perceptions of the sound of audio equipment that cannot at present be reduced to defined and measurable variables are somehow illegitimate or corrupt. If a person says "I like cable A because it sounds better," there are three possible explanations of why...
OK, my first major post here, so I thought I'd weigh in on this hot button topic. Yeah, I think cable makes a difference. What kind and how much is debatable. I think my first objection to those who claim there is no basis in science for cables sounding different is that science, by definition, is limited to what it knows and can prove. If a person hears something that science claims is not measurable and verifiable, it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Sure,...
Thanks grawk, that makes sense.
Noob here, so sorry if this has already been covered -- this is a long thread! I read somewhere it might be better to set the Audio MIDI Setup bit depth/sample rate to match the native recording and not to the default 24/96. It was claimed that if the MIDI was set to 24/96 that iTunes would be doing the upsampling (for native 16/44.1) before the Duet. Since I can't set the MIDI bit depth at anything but 24 bits on the Duet, this sounded odd to me. As such, I...