Posts by elitiste

Quote: Originally Posted by Il Mostro I got the M50's for the combination of isolation/leakage factors (mostly air travel). All in all, not remotely close to hi-fi but not bad sounding at all. My 2 cents. YMMV. Hi Il Mostro, I am glad to hear that you find them suitable for air travel. I would be using them during air travel as well. Can I trouble you to elaborate a bit more on why do you consider the M50s "not remotely close to hi-fi?"...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pianist Now that I received my GMP 8.35 D I can confirm that they are indeed technically quite a step up from the M50s. I'll be writing my own review on them soon. The detail that they produce in the bass and low mids is just incredible - light years better than on M50s and better than on my HD25s as well. However, they may sound a bit too lively and aggressive for some, as they emphasize those incredibly full and detailed bass...
It's been quiet here for a couple of days... it's time to give this thread a little bump!
Quote: Originally Posted by analogbox Although, they're not discounting general consumers, I believe they are more targeted for studio engineers, thus the more professional look. Of course, I wouldn't rock them in public, though. Agree! The looks certainly leaves something to be desired. The visible cables may also create an additional problem -- accidental breakage. The SRH840 is also quite heavy. I'd say that it's not as handsome as ATH-M50 but...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cankin With tons of experience of making cartridges, listening devices and microphones(notice the similarity between that and dynamic headphones), I don't see why Shure, which founded before AKG and Sennheiser, would outsource the R&D of the new line of headphone, but nothing is impossible This is very true. Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica are all excellent examples of this type of cross-pollination. It would not be...
Quote: Originally Posted by MaloS Your logic almost works...but consider this case: what if Honda makes an excellent engine, but GM thinks that Honda's body design is whack? Designing a new engine for a car that is not even marketed for its power and such is questionable, and could be a waste of time. Just buy someone else's design, produce your own everything else, and you are set. You can even optimize the design of the engine a bit for your...
Quote: Originally Posted by odigg Does it really matter? My guess is that every, and I do mean every, manufacturer purchases some part of their headphone from somebody else. It may simply be a screw, washer, or even cable, but probably every manufacturer does it. And why not? If a company that specializes in something (like Fostex and drivers) can manufacturer a part faster, with better tolerances, to a higher quality, with better durability, for a...
Thank you Hot Pixel. I've heard about German Maestro but never gave it much thought because it is not very popular. Nevertheless, Acix gave it a big thumb-up: Quote: The day I got the GMP 8.35 D...what a HUGE surprise!!! Monitor headphones, INDEED!! From the first moment that I plugged them into my soundcard, they just sounded perfectly balanced with a lot of power. The low is really warm and the bass is just enough to really pump the kick and the sub bass. And...
I was referred here from a thread where I asked about alternatives to ATH-M50. Acix, your review is very helpful. Thank you! Am I correct in saying that the German Maestro GMP 8.35 D are really designed for studio? In other words, portability in terms of size, weight and collapsability, is lacking?
Quote: Originally Posted by maddin Hi elitiste, When I first got them I was disappointed because there was for my taste too much bass. But with the burn in this got a bit less and acceptable for me. What I like about them is that they are fast and give the muisc a lot of punch. They also give quite some detail - though I guess not as much as your AKG. I find the mids a bit laid back but this is something I can live with as well. I think they are great...