Posts by macrog

The digital Interface power supply is 5 volts and 6 x 1.5 batteries in series is 9 volts (significantly over spec).   Yes battery power would be interesting to explore though. I have considered LIPOs and will certainly try them on my Audiophellio 1's when they arrive.   Regards   Macrog
I don't believe that any of the current high end Audio-gd DAC's output stages are intentionally colored sounding. I actually appreciate their differences in sound signature.    Regards   Macrog
It is interesting to me that Audio-gd classify both the NFB-8 and NFB-7 as neutral DACs. To me the NFB-8 is in the musical catergory and the NFB-7 neutral.   The Reference 7.1 is more neutral than the Reference 7 or Reference 7HE was and is clearly more neutral than the NFB-8.   I am not attempting to quantify which DACs are better just differences in sound signature which I am hoping is OK? I have listened to all these DACs extensively on a variety of different...
My Twisted Pear stuff is going to have to wait a wee while. I have a new baby and no hope of finding the time to build a kit set at present.   Thank goodness she likes music :)   Regards   Macrog
I prefer the sound of the C2 on non balanced headphones to the NFB-10 and yes I have compared them directly using Sennheiser HD800s and AKG702 headphones.   Regards   Macrog
Coaxial or USB are definitely better options than Toslink.   If your system was particularly harsh in the first place Toslink's often soft presentation might work for you but it would bemuch better to just have a neutral system.   Regards   Macrog
  It sounds like the rolled off sound of the PS1 isn't exposing weakness elsewhere in the chain.  Have you replaced the capacitors on the reciever? They really need to be redone every 10 - 20 years.   It is easy to make a system sound worse by improving your source as problems elsewhere are likely to be more obvious.   Regards   Macrog      
The NFB-10wm is warmer sounding where as the NFB-10ES is more analytical. Different flavors of sound same quality.   Regards   Macrog
I'm not interested in an argument either.   I am guessing that I am in a fairly unique position of having a dual wm8741 dac, 8 x pcm170uk DAC and single ESS9018 DAC and I just wonder if the single ESS9018 is really disadvantaged. All my DACs have very similar configuration i.e. 3 transformer multiple PSU,s and much the same output stages.   The ESS9018 DAC I own is great but I personally want to know how far the performance can be pushed. As the configuration of...
  Are you suggesting the Twisted Pear Buffalo 2 using the same ESS9018 doesn't work well in dual mono mode.  I suggest you research more the results people are getting using Buffalo 2's in dual mono mode before suggesting I am" talking out of my rear end".   Regards   Macrog