Posts by macrog

Quote: Originally Posted by Armaegis 7. Set a budget 8. Stick to that budget. This sounds sensible but in reality costs you more as you end up buying and selling multiple bits of gear to get you to where you could have gone in one step.
Quote: Originally Posted by Redcarmoose These are simple truths that I think anyone who is on an upgrade path would find helpful. 1} Make sure you try new purchases in your system before you buy. 2} Do not go by what others say but be your own judge. 3} Try to get an understanding of your systems strengths and weaknesses and find equipment that synergies. 4} Buy the most expensive and best piece to avoid the multiple micro-upgrade path. 5} Place...
My parents inherited a nice stereo from my great uncle when I was 13 years old but no one else in my family were interested in using it. It was a pair of Tannoy Dual Concentic speakers with 12 inch drivers, Revox A77 reel to reel tapedeck, Garrad 401 turmtable with sme3012 tonearm and shure v15 cartridge. I cant remember the amp. It got me really passionate about music. When I was 21 I bought my own stereo from an accident compensation payout. Perreaux pre powers JBL...
Looks interesting I wonder how it compares to the Audio-gd reference 1? Has anyone compared a maxed out Twisted Pear Sabre 32 to the audio-gd reference 1? macrog
Sounds nice! How do their pre power amps compare to the quality of the dac? My plans are Phoennix in Feb or March 2010 (Then some HD800s) Then C8SE + 4X C-1 Master mono blocks If they are as good as the reference 1 dac they will be brilliant Regards Macrog
Quote: Originally Posted by punk_guy182 Can you please report back with your findings on the HiFace and RE1 combo? I Have bit perfect S/PDIF RCA straight out from my motherboard and I would like to know what I would gain with HiFace besides a BNC connection. RE1 already does some reclocking and I'm curious to find out if the HiFace is really worth it with a DAC like the RE1. Tosehee has already reported to me that he noticed very few improvements...
Quote: Originally Posted by Happy Camper Thank you Macrog for the comparison with the 840C. These are two units I'm considering and you have experience with both. Could you expand on the differences a bit? Good call. The 840C has really nice and easy to listen with great bass extension, nice imaging, natural tone and was unfatiguing. It didn't favour any genre of music. It was a worthwhile step up on the Musical Fidelity A3-24 DAC I had...
My Reference 1 arrived the week before last. It sounded dreadful out of the box (Dull, lifeless and bland). After a couple of weeks of constant run in it is transformed into the best DAC I have ever heard by a wide margin. It replaces a Cambridge 840C and Wadia 581 but I have also had a Naim Dac with XPS power supply at home for extended listen. The sheer neutrality of it is really impressive. It doesn't dictate what sort of music I should listen to. ACDC sounds...
This information is already posted on Headfi forums do a search.
Quote: Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR Which one is better? Why? Why does the ST cost more? Isn't the PCI-E Newer(Better) then PCI? Can you connect the 7.1 analog expansion card to both? Or is that just for the ST? thanks. ST soundly outperforms the stx. (Yes I own both) The only functional differnece that may improve sound quality is the reclocking chip on the st. The ST has more detail and images much better. THe ST is...