Posts by Hoagie

I just bought the small HIFIMAM amp and I am using the stock tubes. I prefer this to the to the Asgard 1. Right now I have to maintain two residences, so have the vali on order. I am expecting a similar performance
Depends on what you mean by better sound. I like the akg 404 better. Same size, and headband. Closed with better pads. Definitely a different sound signature. Darker with more base
I would not worry about high fI, low fi or anything in between. Today's top level will be tomorrow's mid level. Sooner or later many of us will quit chasing and just say good enough Music is supposed to be fun and I still think the akg 240 monitors I bought 30 years ago are the best for blues and classic rock even though 240's today are a 5th level headphone
I don't think you will find anything that will meet all your requirements , here are a couple I would consider Grado. 60. Slightly above your price line and will be brighter however far superior to the porta pros. They will be larger than the porta pros but much smaller than the 240. I am not familiar with the k420 mentioned, but would suggest the akg q460. They are closed, but the size of the porta pro. These are by far my favorite walking the dog phones If it matters...
The Burns doc. is a good history of jazz. It did not and could not cover everything. Back to recommendations. I have been listening to Sonny Rollins Road Shows Vol 3. Better recording than Vol. 1, but not quite as good as performance. Better than Vol 2 on both counts.
Will do. I suppose I will post several times. I hope you check out the band I mentioned. I would be interested in what you think. Other than one album where they covered Cab Calloway, it's mostly original.
I have not read the entire thread, so.if I am repeating someone my apologies. It seems like there is a concentration on jazz after the big split in the late 40's. This is when jazz started becoming listening music rather than dancing music. So I am going to go a different way. I would recommend that people who are new to jazz check out swing which is sometimes called big band music in error. While it is true that swing is almost always performed by big bands, it does...
I'm not a fan of glen miller at all. Bennie goodman is more hit or miss. Sing, sing, sign is one of my favorites. Some time ago, I bought a new cd. Can't remember where I read about the band. The name of the band is Big Bad VooDoo Daddy. I think I was expecting some sort of New Orleans blues, but it turned out to be a current swing band out of California. I have bought several more and they make me smile every time. Swing is not dead yet
Curtis fuller. Start with blues-ette
I understand your point, and will refrain in the future,  But to be honest, I did not introduce the topic.  Only responding