Posts by stokitw

For the starter, get Living Stereo SACDs. The 50 CDs box are exactly the CD layer on the SACDs, So if you want to get SACD version, there is limited need to get the 50 CDs box. Within those Living Stereo SACDs, I will start from every recording of Heifetz there. Also try Rhapsody by Stokowski. The CD layer provide a clearer sound than old issues due to the new transfer, however, it is not as powerful and tense as the old issue.  Once you switch to the SACD...
This would work. You will need six RCA interconnects (like two you already used for CDs now) to connect front, center, rear, and sub. So now your receiver will take the multi-channel signal from your player when the player is set to play multichannel. Then you need speaker cables to connect front, center, and rear. For the sub, you will need an extra RCA interconnect in this case.    
I don't think so, all its analog inputs are 2 channels. Using Sony's lineup as examples, you have to go above STRDG920 to get 5.1 analog input. If you want to spend those kind of money, it is actually better to get HDMI capable SACD player and receiver (almost the top of Sony product line) to enjoy DSD via HDMI.   For lower budget, what you can get are used receivers. I have a used STRDE345 for my 3 channel setup (the model is 5.1 capable, I just do not have 5.1 speakers...
You need a receiver which can take 5.1 analog input via RCA. Recently, this function was left out from lots of mid or low-level receivers. You may need to find some older model around 2000 for cheap options.    
Well, I did take care of the audio level while I am comparing. To me the difference is pretty clear for DSD all the way productions. Even after 30+ DSD all-the-way discs, I cannot find a counter example.   I do respect your tests, however my experience is just quiet different.    
While I do agree the major difference comes from the multichannel, I do not agree that the difference between SACD and CD is too little to ignore in 2 channel. Just like you said, lots of reissues actually been through the remastering. It could be the remastering cause most of the audible difference.   Therefore, I do agree that it is better for us to investigate those DSD recordings to tell the difference. From my experience, it is pretty easy to tell the difference...
I just put my rechargeable battery in my QC15 and it works fine.... Can't talk about the battery life for using rechargeable though.   I use QC15 mainly on flights, the 40hrs battery life using regular battery is good enough for me.        
My officemate has HD448 and he is amazed by my KNS 8400 when he tried it. In terms of comfort it is pretty obvious that KNS 8400 is far superior.   What makes the difference is the memory foam pads. You feels very little pressure when the phones are actually clamping with force similar to regular closed back phones (cuz I can still feel my heartbeat sometimes). Moreover, it seems like the memory foam cause less sweat on the area surrounding the ear. I am not...
Nope, they sound very similar, K240 is slightly plainer than K271 because of the open-ended design.   This is not conflicting with what's the FR graph shows. The graph merely connects the dots of how loud one particular frequency a pair of headphone make in a very short period of time. It does not tell you how different frequencies sound like to your ears when they mix together. It does not tell you how long the sound wave will stay in the air room between your ears and...
Opened end phone needs to pump up the volume in low frequency to make it sounds similar to its closed brother. The reason is quite simple, the amount of energy can stay in the closed air room in closed phones but not for open-end phones.   Frequency response does not tell us too much in terms of music listening, since people rarely listen to one frequency alone. In order to make the overall presentation of music make sense, designers need to worry about how different...