Posts by a_recording

Why wasn't this rule enforced, for 8 out of 13 featured reviews? It seems pretty plain and simple? These reviews are meant to represent some of the best content Head Fi has, and yet it's not necessary to check if they follow the guidelines?  You can't simply wave away the fact that there is no culture for this kind of transparency on the forum because it 'doesn't matter' or that 'people can lie anyway'. Many people on this forum have no malicious intent when they don't...
 I've actually read Thinking Fast and Slow, though I haven't finished it. Definitely an incredible insight. Someone mentioned it in the diary thread but I don't remember who.  Right I think Warren corrected me on this. I let Currawong know and he edited the post. Nonetheless I imagine whoever is choosing what gets featured should at least make sure that what gets featured complies with posting guidelines BEFORE it gets featured. It speaks to the fact that it really isn't a...
 I really should read Blink. It keeps coming up. But again, I'm guessing Doctors have pretty good reasons to prioritise patient care.  I actually don't love unboxing videos either. They can sometimes be helpful, but not my favourite thing. But I know that some people in my audience like them and it at least gives me a video post where I can do the unboxing, and then write first impressions in the video description. Also lets people know what is coming up to review, since I...
Here is something interesting about raffles.   It's actually illegal in many places to run a 'pay to enter' raffle online. This is considered running a pay to enter game of chance, which is another way of saying 'online gambling'.
 I can't answer your first question because I have now been warned I will be banned for talking about it. 2) I have done a lot of reading about economics and incentives. I wish I could point you towards more specific things, but it's been a lot of background reading. As I said, I'm not a behavioural economist. I have no expertise in the field besides intense interest. I can tell you that all the research on compliance and conformity would suggest that people are influenced...
At the very least, here is something to look at. At the time of posting here are the front page featured reviews on Head Fi, selected by the moderators. You would expect that the moderators would read these reviews and check if they comply with guidelines before posting. Here is the rule:  Now here are the reviews:              Now, I am sure that many of these cases are units where the unit has simply been purchased and the reviewer didn't see the need to declare it. When...
 I do understand your points as well. And to be clear some of what I am saying probably applies more to people who are making any kind of significant money from reviews (Tyll, myself, HiFiGuy, Headfonia, etc). But I feel like ethical standards should be the same for everyone involved. I definitely am not saying that no reviewer can be trusted. I very happily read Tyll's reviews and I think they are useful, though I do notice that he uses a lot of qualifiers and modifiers...
 And of course I could be wrong too. But this is just an analysis of incentives. Doctors have a incentive to prescribe a given medication from increased exposure to drug reps. It's hard to argue that for audio reviewers these incentives aren't stronger given that reviewers aren't exposed to the same kind of liability that doctors are. The problem is even worse with reviewers because a Doctor has a relatively symmetrical relationship with the representative, or perhaps...
 No, of course I can't compel you to do anything. This isn't me simply just mouthing off about this subject though. I actually have to put my money where my mouth is and do what I am talking about, which is why I decided to stop accepting review units. I don't want to go off and start any witch hunt but at the very least there are forum rules that insist on a certain degree of disclosure. As far as I know, the community has never really publicly discussed reviewer's ethics...
 The most valid comparison is Pharmaceutical companies. It has been demonstrated in studies that Pharamceutical companies giving out little pens and notepads and trinkets and taking Doctor's out to dinner and having meetings etc. etc., have a subconscious effect on the prescribing habits of Doctors. This is not an intentional bias that you can control for. I'll repeat this quote again: We place doctors in the highest positions of esteem and trust, and we expect the highest...