Posts by mattlach

Appreciate the suggestion! How do you feel about those cans?   How do you think they'd compare to my current beyers?
 Yeah, I was a little surprised too, especially considering these things have such a reputation for being built like tanks.   I haven't even been a hard user, just in home listening. Are there good sources for the pads cheap?   I remember looking them up a while back, and my take was that after replacing the pads and doing the cable, I probably would have spent about half of what it would cost to get a new set, so my thought process was if I am going to spend that money,...
 Thanks for the recommendation. Since you havce both the DT 770 Pro's and the ATH-A900X's, how would you say they compare?   What would you say is each cans strength and weakness?
Hey all,   Been using my 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's for close to 5 years now, and they are just now starting to have some problems.  There is some sort of break or short in the cable resulting in the right speaker only functioning intermittently.   I figured I could have them recabled, but I'm also wondering if the cost would be worth it for a set of 5 year old cans, or if it is just finally time to replace them.   I originally chose the 80ohm model due to not...
I've brought my Beyerdynamic DT770's with me on occasion.    The closed design is actually not terrible on an airplane using an iPod classic to play music.   Nothing like at home, but not bad given the circumstances.   I had to pin the volume on the iPod for it to be listenable though, considering they are 80 ohm cans.   This is probably how I damaged them though.   My laptop bag I was carrying them in is somewhat tight.   These days certain bass...
You are looking for something with a low impedance.   Beyerdynamics P series are made especially for people with your needs.   The T50 P is right in your price range too, and gets good reviews.   You might also consider the B&W P5's.   Avoid the Beats like the plague.   They charge lots of money for Dre's name, but are really ****ty headphones.  About the only thing they are good for is to play bass loud.
Interesting.   Do the open designs provide any isolation at all?   My life doesn't really allow me access to any quiet listening areas (small house, kids, fans air conditioners, etc.)   Thanks again, Matt    
Hmm...   A bit above my budget, but Beyer's new T70's look petty decent, but once I climb up to the $500 level, I wonder what else is out there...
Yeah, I got the impression that for some reason closed headphones are not as common as open designs (why is that?  You'd think that both keeping noise in, and out would be a good thing?)   I was reading about the Denon AH-D7000's and thought I might have found what I was looking for...   ...until I saw the - to me - ridiculous price :p
Hey all,   Could use some help with picking my next set of cans. BACKGROUND: So for the last two years ago, I have been pretty happy with my 80Ω Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's.   At first they seemed overly bright and a bit sibilant, but once burned it (I didn't do a real burn in, just used them a lot) they settled in.   I've probably been under driving them for most of the time I've had them.   I recently got a Schiit Asgard amp to help with...