Posts by jfunk

I just got my DT 770 32 Ohms and I wanted to know more information about mass loading the drivers and damping. I was looking at this but am unsure as to what exactly this does. http://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/acessories/beyerdynamic/dt770-mass-loading-mod.html   The idea is to give more bass detail with the extra mass and make them sound less boxy by absorbing the more of the sound coming off the back of the driver so less bounces back through. The kit was designed...
1 ) mini XLR in more secure and better for balanced but harder to fit2) Balanced cabling keeps the left and right channels completely separate which gives better stereo imaging and does seem to improve the SQ a little3) Should be alright but someone on here may have more experience of the 3.5mm sockets4) There are loads of options and it is probably worth checking out the DIY cable threads for opinions but good quality copper should do the trick without colouring the sound...
Just for a bit of an experiment I have given the T70 the balanced detachable treatment. Turns out the theory is basically the same. There is slightly more room for the XLR socket in them as they don't have the circular plastic ring that holds the damping that the DT770s have but the headband is trickier to pull apart as it has tiny plastic clips hidden away inside to release the ends.  
The wires are enamel coated so that is why you are probably not getting any sound - the enamel gets melted off when you solder - to solder them I normally place something under them to hold the pieces in place while they are joined and I found some 179 degrees C solder which so far has had 100% success rate. Repairs cost £54 http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/service-support-headphone-repair-monitoring but I have just noticed sennheiser have dropped the price of the earcups -...
Hi Deppard,                I have done quite a few of these operations - the voice coil is aluminium and it is best to use a temperature controlled solering iron and some low temperature aluminium solder... That way you don't melt the voice coil. Sennheiser do offer fixed priced repairs on the HD25 which costs a little less than replacing the earcup or if you are feeling entrepreneurial you could buy a cheapish pair off ebay and then re-sell the parts you don't need...
You can pick up the oyaide cables quite cheaply now which are pretty good. The stock cable is steel so even swapping to a >£10 Chinese one will give you a small improvement as they will mostly be made from standard copper or TPC but they probably would not last as long. Or if you are feeling adventurous you could build your self a nice braided one for a similar price to the oyaide ones but with better geometry - I'm sure there are loads of threads on that in the DIY section
You may have left an air gap around the socket - that would act like a second bass port and increase the bass in that ear - just put hot glue or something all round the socket to block any holes
The only real difference is the cable - the HD25 have a 2m cable with a straight jack and HD25-1 has a 1.5m cable with a right angled jack. Both are still in production and up to mk II but if yours have black screws on the cable clamp it means they are the latest 2014 model. If you have silver screws then they are slightly older - the 2013 onwards ones have a small hologram sticker on the driver grille under the earpads. If you have silver screws and no hologram then they...
Hi Jacob,              The grill should just about clip back into place but you have to make sure the weight is stuck as far as it will go then press firmly around the centre of the grill to get it to clip in. Having said that we have had a couple of pairs where grill would not quite go back. The weights are made of quite soft lead and you can trim them down slightly with a craft knife or sturdy scissors. I was the one who originally designed and tested the kit and got the...
I had a pair of 250ohm DT770 knocking around the office that we were experimenting on and thought I would shoot a quick vid of the operation . Here I have used a 3 pin Mini XLR - I have used 2 seperate grounds - one on the chassis of the socket and one on pin one to make it possible to go balanced in the future. ( although 4 pin would be better for that ) When doing this mod you may find it easier and neater to solder the cables for the right earcup directly to the socket...