Posts by ljokerl

More short impressions of stuff I probably won't get a chance to review in full:   Westone Adventure Series (ADV) Alpha: http://www.westone.com/music/index.php/adventure-series.html  Bass-heavy and a little too dark-sounding - not a very natural sound. For $200 seems to lack bass control and overall refinement, the latter especially compared to the similarly-priced Westone 2. Build and fit seem good but the cloth cable is more microphonic than I would have liked for a...
  Well, the UE900 and especially the Philips are a little on the large side so they would be risky. The UE900 shape also makes my ears sore after a few hours for some reason. The RE-400 and A161P, on the other hand, should be slim enough to miss that spot of your ear entirely (though of course it will depend on the size/shape of your ears)     They are both great earphones and among my favorites in the price range. The GR07BE is a little bassier than the S2 so I would...
  Wow, that's surprising. I love my M-80 (though I also prefer more sparkle). Personally, I expected the M-100 to more of the same (M-80, that is) since the on-ear got such positive reviews. 
Missed the post. I would say mid-fi for the FXT90.
It's one of the places to ask...    There are lots of other high-end IEMs you can snag for under $400. The Westones happen to be versatile and fit your requirements of not being completely neutral but also not having heavily enhanced bass. I don't see anything wrong with them as your pick. As for alternatives, I would say the UE900, VSonic GR07 / GR07 Bass Edition, and maybe the Sony MDR-7550 also fit your requirements, all with slightly different sound signatures and...
Well, the A161P is one – it’s a more aggressive sound but it also has better imaging and more bass. The deep bass is especially more prominent compared to the A151.   Another one in a similar price range is the HiFiMan RE-400. It doesn't have a whole lot more bass depth than the A151 but it has slightly more mid-bass impact, along with very smooth mids and treble and a well-rounded presentation.   Along those same lines, the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 have more deep bass than...
So... is this an annual thing?    In all seriousness, this made my day. All of these are great. Happy to be a part of this community and wish I had the time to venture outside of my threads and inbox more often.   Oh and, if not for a certain PM, I'd have been very, very confused when I saw one of these out in the wild . 
  I skipped over the M4. From what I understand it was tuned for a more v-shaped sound than the older M1-M3 but I don't know how it actually performs.      Careful - there were fakes of the FX500 when it was still in production. Also, the FX500 has great capacity for bass but to match the mid-bass of the CKM500 you will still need to raise the mid-bass on the EQ. There are very few things out there with the mid-bass intensity of the CKM500 that are still on a similar SQ...
  I honestly don't know of anything v-shaped, with as much mid-bass as the CKM500, that wouldn't also have larger (or equally large) housings. If the JVC FX500 was still in production that may have been an option (it's not as large as the FX700) but I think it's been discontinued. 
V-Moda. No biggie, though - I got busy with the IEM thread soon after.