Posts by ljokerl

I tried them briefly and wasn't too impressed. Reminded me of the old UE SF5 EB.
  Glad it's been useful!    Philips Fidelio S1 or S2 is my go-to suggestion. Very consistent sound across various sources and a generally nice signature with a slight bass bump but good overall accuracy. Both have a mic. 
  I don't do any of my critical listening on the J3.   If you use the equalizer or have some other form of DSP that turns down the bass hump (or just have a bass-shy source) the CKM500 will indeed sound clearer but it's just got a lot of mid-bass.     The cable on the MH1C is very perplexing. Sony doesn't usually sell j-corded earphones in the US so I am not sure why they did so with this one.
  I've only tried the XBA-1 briefly. At the time I had just the Fischer Audio SBA-03 (same as the MEElec A161) to compare it to and I thought it was a little less accurate, but not too far behind. Based on that short impression, I would say $30 is a good deal.   Both are high-end earphones and have good detail retrieval and imaging. The detailing of the FXT90 is handicapped slightly by its emphasizes mid-bass but in terms of presentation I thought it sounded a little...
  Good question - I am not sure there is a way to really know. If I had to guess I'd say it's just the way that market evolved. You have to remember that the custom IEM market isn't very old and wasn't pioneered by the big audio brands with tons of experience on the headphone side of things (Sennheiser, AKG, etc). It was started by guys doing live sound in order to make the lives of musicians easier on stage. Also, I don't know if this had anything to do with it but...
  Ah, gotcha      After fishing my VC02 left driver from under my desk for 2nd time this week, I tend to agree. The VSonic GR01 didn't have a detachable cable either. Still unclear on what the difference is supposed to be between that and the VC1000.    I tried a 1.1 rev shortly. Seemed to be lacking in treble so I didn't really give it another go. Out of what I have heard at length your description sounds like a Sennheiser IE8 (not much for the intimate mids, but...
  Aren't they more expensive than the R-50? I'm curious as to why VSonic decided to do another dual BA. The GR01 is decent and is tuned slightly differently from the other ones on the market already.   Anyway, both the VC1000 and Astrotec AX-7 seem to be very well built and priced right so we'll see which one comes out on top.    The IQ has slightly fuller and more impactful bass but also less recessed mids so it really depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. The...
I am not familiar with the SM64. Between the rest of those, the UE 900 is the most accurate. Both the 232 and IQ have more bass and more v-shaped signatures overall. 
  Haven’t actually listened to it yet. I almost hope not...
Bingo.