Posts by ljokerl

Sorry, haven't tried the VSD3S, Havi B3, or the Vivo. I would throw in the UE600 at $50 as a good example of balanced, non-fatiguing sound.   That sounds like a TDK BA200 to me. I compared it to the RE-400 here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/tdk-ba200/ . I believe the BA200 has officially been discontinued but you can still find them on eBay and such. Another option is the Sony MDR-7550, but the BA200 is a better match IMO. 
 Nice pic. They look great. Same or similar sound with an improved form factor would be a winner.   If you're aiming at that $30-50 range, the D200R has a more v-shaped sibling... the Rich200. It has more bass (still a little below DN-1000 level, but not by too much) and a little less midrange presence. These inexpensive T-Peos models all have very good bass quality, definitely no muddiness or veiling. Of course the DN-1000 is better overall but it's 6x more expensive. 
 First I've heard of an updated VSD1/S. Curious what the changes will be. 
 Doh.. should've looked at your signature.  Gotta love a nice clear, balanced dynamic-driver earphone. 
 You're not along with that opinion but I really think it's a matter of tuning as much as anything else. Some BA drivers just make it really hard to get the tonality right thanks to particular frequency response features (e.g. TWFK). I tend to like HiFiMan dynamics best for smooth, natural, realistic sound. The now-defunct RE272 is my favorite. I really like the biocellulose drivers in the high-end Sonys and VSonics but they tend to be a little strident (except for the...
 Sorry, I don't really bother with EQ these days. If I had to start somewhere it would be by evening out the mid-bass hump of the Pistons, I think that's their biggest weakness. There's a nice tutorial (IMO) here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress You might also want to check the long Piston discussion thread to see if anyone posted any experiences EQing them.   Well, the AX-35 certainly doesn't sacrifice anything...
 HiFiMan RE-400, Ultimate Ears 600, and Etymotic MC5  No, but it is smoother in the treble and does a much better job of avoiding sibilance.  Glad you like 3590! 
 I do plan to review it but I probably won't get my hands on it for another month or two. I'm a couple of months behind on another VSonic write-up :/.   VC02 is the closest in clarity, detail, etc but it might be too bright... it's certainly brighter and not as smooth as the RE0. Honestly, if there was such thing as a $50 RE0 it would be celebrated. The Astrotecs I've tried don't really fit the mold and the A63 is the only Fidue that comes close (and you've already tried...
 I appreciate it. Definitely need to keep an eye on the pricing.  They're on ebay also but the prices aren't lower from what I've seen.  Yeah, the Altone200 is at least average-sized for an earphone of that type, if not a little longer. Don't think it will fit under a helmet. 
 Thanks... updated all of the broken links. The minor price changes I usually ignore, especially when they require re-organizing the guide, just because the prices fluctuate (and sometimes differ by color) and are hard to keep up with. Will keep an eye on the S1 and vPulse. The vPulse for example hasn't been at $45 for more than a week. It's only a few third-party amazon sellers with that price. Will see if it price holds or goes back up the $70ish it's been at for a...