or Connect

Posts by ljokerl

Last new review for the year - the crowd-funded dual-BA LIFE Headphones. As usual, the most up-to-date rating list can be found here. Happy holidays, everyone! 
New IEM Buyer's Guide is posted for the holidays: http://theheadphonelist.com/2015-holiday-buyers-guide-the-most-gift-worthy-earphones-for-audiophiles-and-music-lovers/   Tried to tackle a few of the more common recommendation requests received around this time in addition to the usual sound recommendations. A few previews of reviews still to come in there as well. 
 I don't have an LCD-3 or a Noble K10. You can find my full AF180 review on InnerFidelity, though: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiofly-af180-ear-monitor-reviewed#WgxC36rHiFbDJiQp.97  Someone asked this fairly recently. I think we settled on the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 and Havi B3 Pro I being good options to avoid hiss with such sources. They're a little more neutral compared to the warmer PortaPros, but not vastly different, and hiss shouldn't be a problem at all.
 Out of those I've only tied the AF180 and the T20 and they sound nothing alike. So you really need to narrow it down based on what type of sound you want (balanced, bassy, bright, etc) before making a decision that could cost you $500. I would pick the AF180 for vocals and the $299 price is very nice if it comes with a warranty. However, it's not a bright earphone - the upper midrange is actually a bit subdued, almost smoothed-over, so if you don't like that sort of thing...
 The FLC8 is not that bass-heavy, nor does it isolate better than the DN-1000. It's a very good earphone and an excellent buy, but it doesn't fit your needs as stated.  You can buy it from lendmeurears.com  To maximize comfort AND noise isolation with that particular sound signature you can't really do better than those Klipschs. You can consider the Yamaha EPH-100 but comfort is a maybe - for me it's very comfortable but it is larger than the X10 so that won't be the case...
 That's surprising, I always had Nuforce pegged for a more niche US brand. Hope they do the trick! 
 I tend to recommend sweat-resistant earphones for this. Balanced armatures are not known to take sweat that well. The Westones someone recommended above seem like they would be a good choice. I was unimpressed with the sound of the Adventure Alpha I've tried but back then they were well over $100. The Betas should be a better value. My personal go-to for this is the Audio-Technica ATH-CKX5iS but you can't wear it over the ear. And the MEElectronics M6 but it sounds like...
 Yeah but honestly I don't know what the big deal is compared to the regular DN-2000 so it hasn't been too high up on my priority list. I think the Titan 1 is a more important earphone since it is a more unique sound tuning that fills an interesting market niche. 
My experience on this front is a little outdated, I'm not sure what something like an HD25-1 II or Amperior would run you in Europe but I'd try to buy one of those. Maybe someone else has newer recommendations.   Keep in mind that not all closed cans isolate well - there's actually quite a bit of variation on that front. 
 Hiss is not necessarily proportional to output impedance. My OPPO has a higher output impedance (around 1 Ohm I believe) and it's pretty silent.  I don't have any audiophile DAPs or decent amps in the $200 range, unfortunately. Just some old Sansa and Cowon players. Maybe someone else can recommend something with a very low noise floor for sensitive BA in-ears.   The UE900 has less bass than a GR07 BE, so it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. You don't really...