or Connect

Posts by ljokerl

Yeah, I'll do the VE Duke but not the earbuds.  You don't even need to spend a lot, really. I would get the opposite of the Havi B3 (as far as balanced-sounding IEMs go) - the HiFiMan RE-400. It's still very neutral but just mid-focused enough to sound fluid and musical rather than dry and analytical. The RE600 is also within your budget and actually fits your description a little better than the RE-400, but the difference is so marginal that I wouldn't bother.  
 Yeah, but currently I've sent it to InnerFidelity for measurements. It sounded a little bright to me as well.
 It really depends on what you're looking for. I tend to prefer the GR07 to the RE-400 but they have different strengths and weaknesses. Either way, the FLC8 is a better upgrade and a good buy at that price. It will be more v/u-shaped than the HD600, RE-400, and B2, but you can vary the severity with the tuning filters.  
 That is quite steep. IM02 and DN-2000 are not exactly competitors due to different sound tuning, but either way I'd have trouble putting up $350 for the IM02 when the B2 is available at $140. Prices are very different in the US.  They just sounded like an X10 (which has plenty of bass for a BA) to me. No changes to the tuning as far as I know.  I don't know how to put it in terms of vocal "age" but the IM02 is a little darker compared to more conventional analytical IEMs...
 I actually meant specifically single armature IEMs like the HF5. It's a generalization with exceptions like most, and do keep in mind there are pros and cons to having a leaner or thicker presentation, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.  Very balanced but darker/not as bright and a little thicker than the CK10. It's more similar to the CK90PRO of the same generation than the CK10.
 Hmm... more conventional form factor than EPH-100 with a sound somewhat like the thick and dark-ish consonance but better overall quality. That's a tough one but what comes to mind is the Alpha & Delta AD01. It's not a bass monster by any means and doesn't match the Fischer's sound sig that well, but it'll fit nicely in with what you have and is the best upgrade to the Consonance I can think of with a conventional form factor. 
 The Audio-Technica ATH-IM02 is a balanced-sounding BA earphone with detachable cables. Not double the price of a B2/R-50, either. It has a pretty flat sound more akin to the B2/R-50 (or better yet, the Audio-Technica CK90PRO) than to the RE-400. The Aurisonics Rockets are more similar to the RE-400. They really don't sound dark to me, but they have very smooth and slightly laid-back treble and relatively forward mids. The HD650 sounds warmer in comparison - the Rockets...
Added a review of the HiFiMan RE300h below.  The most up-to-date IEM ranking can be found here. 
 Yes, by a good margin. Heavy bass is just not that conducive to overall detailing. Sorry, aftermarket cables aren't really my thing. 
 I enjoyed the IM50 very briefly and thought it had a nicely balanced, smooth sound. I don't have a CKX9 but I have a CKX5, which is more in-line with the tuning of a Piston 2 than an IM50. The higher-end CKX models are meant to be even more bass-heavy than my CKX5. If you're looking to stay with a more IM50-like sound then you're probably looking for something more balanced, like a Philips Fidelio S2 (hopefully available in the EU, Philips being a European company)....