Posts by ljokerl

That violet color is a higher-priced limited edition, too.  Easier with the EX1000 because they're so similar. The 7550 is basically the EX-1000 minus some upper mid/treble presence. It's warmer and smoother while the EX1000 is brighter and carries more treble energy. The EX1000 has a bit more intelligibility and the presentation is more airy, but of course it's more prone to harshness as well.
 I've had all the bass I can handle with the FR301, Beats Tour 2.0, and RHA T10i  Speaking of JVC XX, there's a new one coming out this year, the XX Elation (couldn't find a more decent pic): 
Added a review of the bass monster JVC Xtreme Xplosives HA-FR301 
 I don't have much experience with modern hi-fi DAPs/Amps, but they don't need an amp when used with the one I do have (HiFiMan 901 with IEM card). I imagine other decent DAPs are similarly capable of driving them.   Why not the HF5? It's in that price range.  The VSonic VC1000 would be an alternative. Maybe even a T-Peos H-100 if a v-shaped sound is okay. 
 I sent them an email or two back when I had some room in my schedule but it didn't work out. Maybe someday. 
 IME the gap is bigger going down from the V6-Stage to a UE900 than going up to a JH13 or something. The V6-Stage only has one or two little things holding it back from being exactly on-par with the better $1k+ sets I've tried. 
 Well, it will be an upgrade but the Piston is warm and bassy (and v-shaped) whereas the SE425 (last I heard it... which was a while ago) is pretty balanced. The Shures will give you a much more clear and accurate sound but they just haven't got much in common with the Piston 2.  This also makes sense based on my experience with the FX700. I haven't had a chance to try both the universal and custom version of the same IEM as james has, but I would imagine that any...
 No, the W40 is too dark and has too much mid-bass to be a V6-Stage alternative. A good TWFK-based set like the VSonic VC1000 will be a better match for the V6-Stage tuning. If you want detachable cables, the UE900 is a better option, though one that's not necessarily comfortable in smaller ears. Or the Sony MDR-EX1000 or EX600.  I haven't tried the IM03, FX850, or FX1100.   Don't have new ADEL modules yet so probably not for a while. I really want the tuning of the...
 The SD-2 is not exactly a paragon of comfort. There's a smaller version (SD-2S) but I haven't tried it. Should be more comfortable though. One of the SD-2's biggest strengths is its excellent end-to-end extension - compared to the SE535 it has a little more extension and overall presence and energy up top and the bass loses less steam down below, too. Makes it sound a little less mid-centric/focused. Don't think it has any cons vs the SE535. Maybe that it's a bit more dry...
Happy New Year, everyone!  BTG is what I was thinking of.  Refined, yes. Better bass, yes. Forward mids - not so much. The NT6 is generally not an intimate-sounding earphone. Probably can't be called laid-back, but it's not more forward than the CK10 (which has a smaller soundstage overall) in the midrange.   In my experience the better accurate-sounding options in that price range will fall generally into two categories - flat/flat-ish IEMs that don't have that bit of...