or Connect

Posts by ljokerl

Some of those sets you're considering are discontinued and will be very difficult to find. And the rest mostly have a flat/balanced sound sig, which your Atrios and FXT90s do not. At $200 for dynamic sound you might as well look into the DUNU DN-1000. It's got a closer balance to the FXT90 and while the soundstage isn't huge, it's a solid triple-driver hybrid earphone for the price and quite difficult to beat for a moderately enhanced-bass, v-shaped sound. There are other...
 It's hard to say how any particular IEM will do in the washer... I doubt it's a design criteria for manufacturers, especially those focused on the Head-Fi/audiophile market. There's a handful of water-resistant IEMs out there that would probably be more durable in this regard than average (e.g. the Mee M6 and Audio-Technica CKX5), and many more "regular" IEMs that may or may not outlast a VSD1S. I'm partial to the Xiaomi Piston 2 as an inexpensive, bass-boosted...
 Rockets build quality is really on another level compared even to something like an HF5. Some of the old-school TWFK earphones (e.g. mainly the Audio-Technica CK10 and maybe the NOCS NS800 or the new q-JAYS) are the only small BAs I'd put on the same level for build quality, but those never sound as smooth as the Rockets.  The RHA T20i and Noble 4 (the only ones on your list I've tried) aren't very similar to the X11i, so it's hard to call either a step up. The X11i has...
 About the same. V-Modas tend to be a little more aggressive and forward-sounding though, so if you compare them directly they might seem a touch bassier.
Thanks, everyone!  You can get a Creative Aurvana Live! 2 for about $100 as well. Fits your requirements and is more comfortable (but less durable) than the V-Moda. Sounds better in my opinion. Not sure how it compares to the Urbanite XL.
 Thanks! I have an A73, just need to spend more time with it. Fidue is really hitting a nice stride with their <$150 IEMs recently.  I was never able to find a direct EPH-100 upgrade in that price range. Sony XBA-H3 is the closest I can think of, and that rarely drops below $250 (and also comes with some usability caveats thanks to its form factor vs the EPH-100). 
There's also an alternative way to navigate the front page of this thread: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/ developed because it was getting too unwieldy.  They've become my sole travel IEM - very small footprint in my luggage, very high isolation (stock tips or Comply T200s), durable build, and a generally smooth and pleasant sound well-suited for all sorts of use. Plus the sensitivity is low enough that they work decently well with in-flight multimedia...
 Thanks, I appreciate that!  Seems the VC1000, while gone, is not forgotten! I treasure mine greatly - it's one of the all-time best values in the IEM world if you ask me.   They're scattered here and there but I haven't posted the full review yet. I completed one for InnerFidelity but ran into some issues when it came time to publish. Anyway, I'm still working on re-writing it for posting here. I like the Rockets a lot though, and included them in my most recent buyer's...
 Thanks, everyone! Had to skip a few to make the T20 #350, but it's an interesting IEM to be sure.   soundstige's post is great - way more detailed than mine would have been. I don't have much to add except that I too would not recommend getting an Ety for under-helmet use - with the long housings and angled strain relief they're really not the ideal shape. in addition to what soundstige recommended, I think the Aurisonics Rockets, or even a Yamaha EPH-100, would be a...
Added the RHA T20. As always, the most up-to-date IEM ranking can be found here.