Posts by MacedonianHero

I think you are in the wrong thread, this is the Hugo thread, not the Hugo 2 thread....look at the conversion going on that I responded to. NOBODY mentioned the Hugo 2 and no one was talking to you. Sheesh.  
Umm...you realize that this is a comparison between the TT and Hugo right? The blog was released before the Hugo 2 was announced. That's what the subject everyone was talking about and this is NOT the Hugo 2 thread.  
I wasn't a fan of the Z1R with Sony's desktop amp/DAC when I heard them together. Warm-ish headphone + warm setup = not the greatest pairing. But say the Benchmark DAC-3 HGC (roughly the same price as the Sony desktop amp/DAC) is a brilliant pairing! The DAC3 is a wonderfully neutral and balanced DAC (and headphone amplifier) that works great with these headphones! I did like the really pricey TOTL DAP though...thought it was a better pairing than the Sony desktop setup...
 I'm glad you've found something you really enjoy. I'm just sharing my comments with other headphones I've had the pleasure to own/review/etc... The HD800S are spectacular headphones. As mentioned, I've owned the original HD800's since they were released many years ago and I still have the HD800S in my rotation because I'm such a fan.  Wilson speakers for me have really fallen behind over the past several years and I wouldn't say the HD800's sound like them because they...
 I found this link quite helpful:http://blog.moon-audio.com/chord-hugo-versus-hugo-tt-differences-explained/
He's saying his speakers are bright/crisp. The Benchmark is neutral/flat (measurements confirm that as well). So bight speakers will sound the way they sound...bright. FWIW, my review of this excellent DAC will be out just over a week from now on our site.
 I find the exact opposite. I find the biggest weakness of the HD800/HD800S is that they can't do intimate right...everything sounds like I'm at Roy Thompson Hall here Toronto...just big and with orchestral music works brilliantly, but for small acoustic/jazz, etc...I just avoid the Sennheisers. I'd suggest you try some other headphones in this regard and you might be surprised. I suggest the LCD-3/X/, HE1000V1 or V2, Utopia, SR-007/009...all do a much better job of...
 If you you're after a huge soundstage, the HD800S is still tops here, but has some issues as I mentioned earlier.
I would definitely put the LCD-4s and Utopia in my top tier category (along with the SR-009, HE1000V2 and SR-007) and the HD800/HD800S in the grouping just below them.
In the end, while I still very much enjoy my HD800S, the soundstage is just plain artificial. I have some very intimate jazz recordings and I've heard them on many different headphone/speaker setups, and the HD800/HD800S just get it wrong every time. Plus with the Utopia, get your source right and the sound stage is very natural (at least with my experiences)...and when it comes to transparency, resolution and dynamics, the Utopias come out every time for me. And this is...