Posts by Zorander

TL;DR: Want an upgrade from the AT CK-10. Looking at either the SE535 or W4R. Appreciate any opinions on these or other alternatives.
Hi all, I have been using these for more than 3 years now and it has been absolutely fantastic. Its cable is a little stiffer now than when it was new and I probably need a back-up in case these suddenly fail (it's my only to-go phones). Firstly, where I'm coming from: I like the CK-10 mainly for its (IMHO) relatively balanced presentation. The bass punch is just nice (not too much like the HD-25 or anemic like the K601), detail resolution & isolation pretty good and,...
My brother likes the look of the M3 the most (the RE252 second and the MC5 labelled as too geeky-looking). He's not too particular on the sound (these phones should all sound good and far better than his old CX-300) so the M3 looks won it for him. Thanks heaps for the help.
It is still for sale here so it's still an open option. I can also get Brainwayz phones directly at MP4nation and at their prices, the M3 is also within budget. Should he just spring for the higher-end phone? Seems a logical choice to me. Cheers!
Thanks for the link. My bad for missing the sticky (and for posting hastily on the bus). Plenty of good suggestions on that link and I have picked the Etymotic MC5, Brainwavz M2 and Hifiman RE252 for him to choose from. I don't exactly know his sound preference but I think he's happy with most of anything (as long as it does not stray too far from 'mainstream'). I was going to also recommend the RE1 (or was it 0) but I did the same for a friend before and he found its...
Hi all, My brother is looking for one and has asked me for a a recommendation. I've been out of the loop for quite a while and never even looked at phones with this criteria. He has been using a senn cx-300 (I hope I spelled that right) and was also happy with the hd-25 (cable failure unfortunately put it out of service). Besides the obvious need for durability and noise isolation, I don't know what phones are good in this price category. Appreciate your input. Thanks.
Double post. Please ignore or delete.
Hi all, I'm currently using the following setup for my speaker rig: Electrocompaniet DAC -> (Van den Hul The Bay C5 RCA interconnect) -> Cyrus 8 integrated amp -> (QED XTube XT-400 speaker cables) -> Epos M5 speakers I have had the cables for nearly 10 years and the ends have started fraying off at the plug ends. I cannot re-terminate as there is no more spare length for the setup. There seems to be no obvious sound degradation but the thought of dust settling between...
Hi,I thought on-board audio is still not quite the ideal digital transport (poor noise isolation, 48KHz resampling -if this still exists today-, and possibly sub-standard SPDIF output stage), hence the need for a 'proper' SPDIF-capable soundcard or adapter?My ECD1 DAC lacks USB input, but I'm in no hurry to replace it with a USB-equipped one since people seem to report better sound using a dedicated SPDIF soundcard/USB adapter over their DAC's USB input.Regarding SPDIF-...
Hi NA Blur, Thanks for your response. I'm personally happy with my setup though it could be the case of either it being indeed jitter-free or me used to the sound. I have no comparison to make (not even a spare digital cable to play around with). I don't believe there is much noise coming from the DAC (certainly not above the inherent background hiss of my amps). Correct me of I'm wrong but I had thought that a jitter-riddled DAC translates into a not-so-stellar sound,...