or Connect

Posts by ClieOS

Here are some of my recent acquirement (*forgot to include the Tuner/调音师's earbuds):     Pai Audio 3.14 Flat (or PR1?) and Fareal are both big surprise to me on how good they sound relative to how low they cost, especially on Fareal. Early impression is that, both of them should be solid upper Good if not lower Great. Monk+ is also a solid offering, more accurate than old Monk but also slightly less fun. Overall a small improvement to my ears. Lyra6 is an interesting...
 Have heard neither and therefore don't have any thought about them.
 If you are looking for a DAC/amp, especially one with good smartphone support, I don't think you can do any better than HA-2 for its price. Given the spec, HE400i should be fine with HA-2. You might however need to push for (almost) full volume with the HD600. For a pure portable amp, I can recommend FiiO E12A. However, it doesn't have DAC. A mid-way point will be JDS labs C5D - it should drive you headphone well enough and have a DAC, but not as good as HA-2 when it...
 On X5II, can't say I can tell if there is any difference between 75ohm adapter or not. But on Sony A15, I can just about tell there is a very subtle difference - but again, I know from previous measurement that A15's output is easily stressed when the volume is pushed higher and higher, so it could be the A15 is sounding different with different volume rather than anything is changed on the MP.
 As a standalone amp, HA-2 is quite good. Not the best you can get for the money but still better than your average offering.
Here are something interesting to read about: This is done with Monk+ practically glued to the measurement rig so no movement is allowed. MP is first measured without the 75ohm adapter, but volume limited by software in order to have almost the same SPL as with 75ohm. Then  it is measured again with the 75ohm adapter attached. The FR curve is about the same, with less then 1dB of difference which is commonly smaller than what most believe is detectable by ears. The rest of...
 Because FR curve only tells you frequency response of the headphone, a rather one dimension picture of the whole audio chain. It doesn't tell you other changes such as phase shift and especially how the individual amp section response to different load (and remember there is also a difference between test tone and music). That creates a gap between what is recorded with measurement rig and what is actually happened on the field. The add impedance might not have much to do...
 Because only a 'perfect' amp can technically just amplifies signal and does nothing else - we call it 'wire-with-gain' and so far no one has actually found one yet, since no electronics is perfect. But as said, this is not a topic for this thread, though you can find plenty of older discussions in the forum.
 Not always the case, but sometime there is a chance that the sub-bass increment has nothing to do with adding impedance to the earbud itself but that fact that you are increasing the impedance seen by the source - if the source has output caps, it might show up as bass roll-off with lower impedance load and disappear with higher impedance load. There is also one more thing to consider - current output. Adding impedance might not change the frequency response of the...
 Hiss or not is a result between how hissy the individual source is and how hiss prone the individual IEM is, therefore there isn't one universal answer to say which one small impedance number will work for every source and IEM combo out there. If you are not sure, always go a but higher than what you think you need. Otherwise, it is pretty much a trial and error process for most of us.