Posts by ClieOS

One lead on hot, another on ground.
 Yes and no. E12 is meant to drive full sized can up to 600ohm, so the noise performance isn't as good as it can be due to the need of higher gain. Also, the crossfeed and bass EQ circuits also restrict E12 performance. These are all optimized in E12DIY and therefore improves its overall SQ. The DIY parts are just added bonus on top of the improved topology. Even with the same opamp+buffer combo as E12, E12DIY will still sound better. E12IEM is coming soon as well, based...
Most cable capacitance should be in the low pico range though. I am not sure what is the typical number to shot for, but I think the important bit here is to compare the stock to the non-stock. I'll measure the hot vs. ground and see if there is a huge difference between stock and non-stock.
Well, each opamp has its own noise, DC offset, EMI performance, etc, and they all get carried to the buffer.  However, I am not sure why those Litz cables are so prone to these noise. You might want to measure their capacitance and impedance if you have a chance and see if they are really that difference compared to the stock cable.
HA-5002 can have a mild DC offset when unloaded, but it should go down to zero / near zero once there is a load connected (I checked with a multimeter). On the other hand, BUF634 shouldn't have any DC offset loaded or unloaded. But I do observed that HA-5002 can be finicky when it comes to connection. Even a slight insecure connection in the socket can cause it to distort mildly. You might want to clean the HA-5002 pins and see if it helps.
Well, many on board sound card, especially when we are talking about the tablet / notebook type, is still fairly limited on performance. The main factor for on board sound card is that the dominant noise is often from other part of the PC instead of the DAC itself.
 You can finf my full SMSL review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/717908/impression-s-m-s-l-sap-4s-and-sap-7 Basically, I'll rank sAp-4s as the same as E5 and sAp-7 the same as E6. They will be added into the list, in time. NX1 is just sAp-4s with gain switch, so there really isn't a lot more I can add to it beside copying from the sAp-4s review.  You can find my independent MMP review here, with comparison to other amps in the list:...
 I am not talking about human hearing, but the dynamic range of the whole playback system. 16bit is indeed more than enough if they are all there when the music reaches your ears. But they are not a lot to work with since you don't actually get all of them in the first place. Some of the less than good DAC can run only around 14bit / 84dB (if not less), if you lower the digital volume a few more bit, then you will get less than your human's "instantaneous" dynamic range....
Every bit gives you around 6dB of loudness. So 16 bit has a theoretical loudness of 96dB. That is your maximum dynamic range in theory (*in actually working, we also use various mastering technique to "compress" more dynamic range into the available 16 bit, but that's another story). Let assume nothing else affects the system and we have all 16bit to our disposal at the DAC's output. When you lower digital volume, every -6dB will take away one bit of resolution. The...
I am 100% sure . I took the time to trace all the pin out on the chip and map them all back to MAX9722.   Yep, sAp-5 is pretty much sAp-4s with a bass boost chip, according to SMSL.