Posts by ClieOS

PA2V2 isn't hard to beat. I'll think Mayflower stands a good chance.
 A bit OT, but I am not praising NwAvGuy for coming a totally new way of using electronics components for making headphone amp (which he is not), but the fact that he challenged the status quo. Plenty of EE here or elsewhere are either no doing much about it or making a ton of profit for slightly fancier CMOY clone. Just like Cho Moy never did invent the way of using opamp, but we praise him for being the first to put a headphone amp together and gave it to the community...
 There is no easy way to tell whether the DAC inside A10 series can output much higher voltage without any compromise to SQ (though I doubt that will ever be the case), nor is it any way to make any meaningful comparison. At the end we just have to make use of what we have. Personally I don't find the LO to be vast better or worst then the HO, and with a good amp the overall result can still be quite an improvement over HO no less.
To put it fair - lower line-out voltage means lesser SNR you are going to get from the same signal, which mean a lesser quality sound you are going to get after amplification as compared to a higher line-out voltage. You also need to understand a lower line-out voltage means more gain is needed for the amp, which further introduces more noise. There is a reason why a typical line-out signal from desktop gear is usually around 2V. That's not done so just to waste power but...
Not that I wanted to keep drilling on the issue - if Mayflower has somehow managed to build an CMOY that has none of the usual CMOY 'issues' that NwAvGuy had pointed out during the design process of O2, then I must congrat them for creating something that no other EE / amp designer has managed to do so far, including NwAvGuy himself. If not, I just don't see the point of trying to associate a CMOY to an O2. Plenty of good CMOY implement out there that are good enough...
Everything the A10 series supports (PCM, up to 24/192), it will output to iDSD micro.
 I think the smart thing for Mayflower to do is just not mentioning O2 on the product page at all, as it is misleading. NJM4556 has been make known in a CMOY since the day of Grado RA-1 (which is a fairly crude implementation in comparison) well over a decade ago. If anything, Mayflower CMOY has more to do with RA-1 than O2.
 The beauty of this setup is it only requires a USB OTG (WMC-NWH10) from Sony and no extra cable needed.  
 I did listen to the PHA-3's balanced-out, but not against iDSD micro as that's with another setup (and of course iDSD can't output balance). It isn't with a headphone I am familiar with (it is a balanced Z7), so I can't say how good it goes. But again, I didn't hear anything that wow me in the Sony booth. PHA-3 is indeed much more portable than iDSD micro, though it doesn't make a difference for me as I always have a small bag with me to carry my whole rig, plus a few...
One of the point NwAvGuy (O2 designer) wanted to address with O2 is his nonsatisfaction with CMOY's basic design and performance in general. Saying an CMOY based design is 'O2 inspired' is kind of odd, to say the least. Not to say Mayflower doesn't have a good CMOY implementation at hand (*In fact, by the look of the PCB, it is quite solidly designed and built), but it really doesn't make any sense to relate their own CMOY to the O2. I can't imagine NwAvGuy will be happy...