Posts by Zaubertuba

Sweet! I've been pouring over Merlin Blencowe's excellent book on instrument preamp design for the past year. I know it's not a resource specifically for Hifi but I've learned a heckuva lot about what makes a tube tick. Still have lots to learn, I'm sure! If I have to spend any more money it'll likely be for the power supply--I have a basic unregulated 200V CR filtered supply worked up for prototyping but I fear that's not going to leave me a lot of headroom for what...
Have any of you tube guys toyed around with a long-tailed pair as a headphone amp gain stage?  It seems like an elegant way to get a differential input/output amp.   I have a quartet of JISBOS buffers I'm thinking of using as the output stage, and a bunch of preamp tubes (12au/x/t7's) sitting in my parts drawer from other instrument projects/tube rolling.  Thought I might try to hack together a balanced hybrid.  
Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I succumbed to an impulse buy---Emotiva's has a sale going on their XDA-2 for $250 so I snapped one up.   Didn't even consider this one before since it was out of my price range.   Figure if the headphone amp really does turn out to be weak (and I'll end up making a Y-Adapter just to see...don't want to have to re-re-terminate my headphones later), I could still finish my a20 balanced headphone project, and in the meantime I...
Well, my Windows installation went belly up, and my 1212m is finally driver-dead.  I recently came into (a little) cash, and was thinking of reterminating my HD580's back to SE so I could upgrade along the lines of:   Audio-GD 15.32 Asus Xonar Essence ST Schiit Modi/Magni   Only problem is, after listening to my "backup" SE setup (onboard audio > old Pioneer receiver headphone out > HD202's), I was reminded of how electrically noisy my listening environment is.  My...
Hi Guys!  Life had been busy so I'm trying to get back up to speed after a long hiatus.     I've shepherded my E-Mu 1212m along for quite some time.  Now that my Windows 7 install is bitrotting away and the drivers on the E-Mu just died (actually I think I broke them  ,) I'm not relishing the thought of another legacy driver battle to get the card working again.   I had been running the balanced outs of my 1212m into my hackneyed a47 balanced dedicated amp, but would...
Bummer!  I do see that now.  It does make sense, now you *don't* have to remove the inner grille/expose the driver to unscrew the baffle.  At least that's a positive change (along with the improved driver--or so I assume from all the reviews.    ).
Did they change the mounting points between the driver and the baffle, or between the baffle (which, if I'm remembering correctly, as a replacement comes together with the driver as a complete assembly--at least it does for the 555/595) and the headphone shell?  The screw locations *look* the same between the two different series, at least from the pictures I've seen.  
*bump*  
Hello all!     I finally messed up one my HD555's drivers doing a re-recable.    Instead of just getting the "standard" 555/595 driver, I was thinking I might go ahead and see if I can track down a pair of HD598 drivers, along the lines of linuxworks' "Project FrankenSixFifties."  Does anybody have experience taking both series apart, well enough to confirm that the 558-series capsules would work with the 555-series chasis?
That's the difficult part, isn't it?  Catch is, for a "hi-fi" or audiophile preamp, the minimalist approach seems to be the most effective.  For an instrument preamp, there's the real-world hurdles of bad room acoustics, group blend and balance, reinforcement dynamic, and of course the spectre of "finding the ideal tone."  EQ/compression/distortion (and to a lesser degree other special effects an electric instrument musician may add) are all parts of this equation, and...