or Connect

Posts by Zaubertuba

That's a pretty build, Karl!   Thinking about taking tension...I built a headphone cable out of Mogami 3106.  It has a core reinforcement and according to Mogami is electrically similar to the 2549.  It's a stereo cable so was really easy to build into a headphone cable.  It also had a rubber jacket designed to take abuse and had a very low kink factor.   I had one problem with it...it's pretty stout, so when I coupled it to the headphone shell it ended up mechanically...
 You're right, they're not really necessary.  I poured over the article and realized this really isn't so much a starved plate.  
SOHA-flavored power supply...I'm happy to say, no "magic smoke" on the first test  :     Rectifiers/doubler on the right, B+ in back, +/- low-voltage supply (it's actually trim-able up to +/-15V) in the middle, and -12.6v heater supply on the left.  With a 30VCT transformer B+ is around 74V unloaded. The components are oversized enough I could throw in a bit higher voltage transformer if I wanted a bit more B+.         As you can see, I couldn't get away...
Long time no see!  One of these days I'll have enough free time at a stretch to finish a project before I second-guess myself. I was starting to think re-hashing this all with a known topology, like a Balanced SOHA, would probably end up sounding better.  Then I figured....why not use the SOHA power supply design and power the ltp with that?  Here's what I have so far...minus biasing the grid, which you can read about below:     Here's the loadline...courtesy of a...
Test fitting the chassis...             Why yes, Virginia, I'm using a motherboard mounting tray for the bottom.        Hmm...what'dya think this is?  
How to not screw up your nice oak faceplate (click on the pics for the larger versions):     I happened to have a template bushing for my Dremel tool plunge router attachment.  I'll be using a fresh multi-purpose spiral bit on the highest speed setting.   The offset for the guide is exactly 1/4"...I traced the outline, added a quarter inch, and also took the opportunity to adjust the curves a bit. I cut the outline with a jigsaw and spent some time cleaning up the...
I did a scratch template for the front panel.  The first template I went a little crazy with the French curves and it ended up a little too organic.   This one's a little better:         Oh...and the coupling caps don't need to be that big.     .1uF should be fine.  I'll fix that the next revision I post.
Working to tame the gain a bit....   Assuming my math is right, differential gain without feedback is around 30.  This version with the feedback resistance set at 240K reduces that to 22.  If I increase the input impedance a hair I can shave another 2 off each triode for a gain of 18.
 LOL and here I went and simplified the CCS before you posted that!   It's all good though...I actually learned a bit in redoing it, so maybe when I put the Cascode version back in I can calculate the values better.  Is it useful to have more voltage swing across the CCS?  If it doesn't really matter I'll rework it tomorrow swinging just ground--->-15V. Also added some NFB.  A little scared how the numbers will work out because the input impedance is so low (picked the...