Posts by hybris

Quote: Originally Posted by jung If we can not agree on what is lossy codec, as opposed to lossless, then we can not have this discussion meaningfully. My point is that bits can be different, but the result can still be equal, physically. See below. It's hard to agree when you obviously have no idea how lossy encoding works. And I must say it's really hard to grasp what you mean with this "physically equal" term you keep throwing around. The...
Quote: Originally Posted by jung I want VBR 400kbps, not 200kbps, nor lossless, and never CBR. I don't care how many people can not ABX. If only one person in the whole world can ABX, it is one too many. But lossless is only a mathematical illusion, not a physical reality. The real physical world is quantum and random. There is no such thing as an exact physical copy. So VBR with high enough bitrate, maybe 400 to 500 kbps, will be physically the...
Quote: Originally Posted by spanimal These tests were merely my methodogies to verify my capabilities, the results only suggests to me that my hearing perception is not acute enough to distinguish between only these two capables in only my system - nothing more. It is quite persumptious of you to assume that I have or have not a preference for anything based on my postings - perhaps there is some truth that I did not believe USB can be differentiated -...
Quote: Originally Posted by spanimal After numerous switchings with different songs, focused, unfocused - eventually they sounded the same to me - I will never be able to distinguish these cables in blind test. Then I got really nervous as I never had to switch cables so often when I initially thought I heard a difference. What if the difference I heard in interconnects was also a placebo? I had also bought a cheap 8 dollar interconnect cable along with...
Quote: Originally Posted by spanimal Time to buy a new inexpensive USB cable and let SPANIMAL hearing decide on the outcome. Can it? Will it? Opinions coming up. I hope you will at least perform a blind (preferrably ABX) test, the results of a sighted test will of course be useless.
Quote: Originally Posted by Patrick82 This looks like some sick experiment involving electricity and a mass murderer.
Quote: Originally Posted by manaox2 USB itself only does error detection. As you said, it would make sense for any USB receiver to perform error correction before using the data. If I've understood the protocol correctly, the reciever can only detect and discard invalid packets, it is up to the sender (that would be the USB driver on your source/PC I guess) to resend. Either way it seems only natural that any USB device supports this functionality.
Quote: Originally Posted by DistortingJack I think that the beautiful part of this is that for someone who uses and understands digital audio, this whole thread is like witchcraft talk. When digital audio gets corrupted, there is no slight loss in soundstage. What you get are very, very nasty digital clicks. It just doesn't happen at all. The connection will drop out before the data gets corrupted. I would be very, very scared of using a USB hard drive...
Quote: Originally Posted by manaox2 I usually see asynchronous synchronization schemes touted as being better for digital audio transfer as it has data "cells" that are intended to reduce jitter for realtime audio transfer. Its claimed that this is ignored as speeds have become faster and jitter isn't as rampant. USB does theoretically get data at 480 mbps, but this is usually a burst speed as I understand it. I would prefer asynchronous transfer mode...
Synchronisation and reliable transfer of audio is also a basis for the USB spec: "An essential issue in audio is synchronization of the data streams. Indeed, the smallest artifacts are easily detected by the human ear. Therefore, a robust synchronization scheme on isochronous transfers has been developed and incorporated in the USB Specification. The Audio Device Class definition adheres to this synchronization scheme to transport audio data reliably over the bus"